Still waiting for root device, not your usual one though

pippin418

6 posts in this topic

This isn't your normal "Still waiting for root device..." error. It only happens after a few reboots. I'll reboot after an install (usually the second reboot) and the "BSD root: disk0s2 major 14, minor 2" stops showing up. Then the inevitable happens: Still waiting for root device...

Now, since I'm smart, I have a Time Machine backup and an install disk handy. I end up having to reinstall and restore from my Time Machine backup. In the install I'll choose all of the Chipset kexts. This completely fixes the problem, that is, until it starts at the second or third reboot. Before, I didn't have to choose any Chipset kexts. If I don't choose any now, well, it just throws me the Still waiting... I also have to remove the IOPCCardFamily kext.

I HAVE DONE 0 (NONE, ZERO) HARDWARE CHANGES. It is the same as it was when it worked. It did work, I rebooted many, many times and it worked. It stopped working (apps wouldn't open) after I installed an update for 10.5.8 and I only had 10.5.5. I reinstalled (I had done so 2 other times, and they worked) and this started happening.

HP Pavilion dv5215us

iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5

2 GB Ram

RADEON XPRESS 200M

System Profiler spx: http://www.mediafire.com/?xnnwk6qpw3y9d3c

I've tried: -x, -v, -f, (and all combinations of them), rd=disk0s2, rd=rdisk0s2, cpus=1, platform=ACPI, platform=X86PC (both platforms caused kp's).

I've almost got my Hackintosh in working order. If I can get this down, I'll be in perfect shape.

In the install I'll choose all of the Chipset kexts. This completely fixes the problem, that is, until it starts at the second or third reboot.

This is called the carpet-bombing install method. It never works.

Do not install several drivers/fixes/patches for the same piece of hardware at the same time. This can cause the problems you describe.