Help with OSx86 installation dual boot with Win7

1c3

6 posts in this topic

I am not sure whether I am posting in the right section or not so pardon me if I am mistaken.

I've been thinking to try MacOS since last year but never really understood the procedure. Try looking at this forum but its way too confusing for a totally newbie like me to choose where to start. So here I am, waiting for your help.

System specs:

Intel Mobo DG35EC

Intel Processor Core 2 Duo 2.40Ghz E4600

2Gb DDRII

WD 640 GB SATA HD

MSI N260GTX PCIe Graphic Card (gone for replacement)

Now I don't know which MacOS version should I go for or whats best for me as per my system specs and also the installation instructions for that version to make it dual boot with my currently running Windows 7. Is it necessary to wipe off all the data from the hard-drive or I can use some other partition as I left alone a 130gb partition for MacOS when installed my hard-drive. And yeah! Can I use a flash drive to install MacOS as my dvd drive is about to die anytime soon!

I'll be really thankful if any of you guys help me out in this regard.

Hi! I will recommend you OSX SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.5 (or 10.6 and after use a combo update).

If you want to do a dual boot, you should have two HDD or two partitions of one HDD. After that select the HDD with OSX as boot and intall Chamaleon. Chamaleon is a bootloader and you will be able to choose in what operative system you want to start.

If you are going to replace your graphic card I will give you an advice: BE CAREFUL if you want to use OSX with the graphic card because there are a lot of problems with them and sometimes is very difficult to do they work.

For compatible hardware you can look in this forum and in www.tonymacx86.com

Good Luck!

PD. If you only want to prove the OSX (at the moment) I will recommend you that install it in an USB and try it, due to that sometimes you can get inespected problems and have problems with your windows partition (it depends of your skills with computers).

Bye!

Thanks for your reply but you just told me what to do, not how to do that? I mean I know I have to install 10.6.5 or some earlier version and then upgrade. But I am currently running Windows 7 on Intel based generic pc and want to install Mac OS without ruining my current OS. It would be really helpful if you tell me about such a installation tutorial.

Also can somebody tell me where to buy Mac OS 10.6.5? I checked Apple Store but I couldn't find the full installation package. All I found was a Combo pack which is an upgrade not a full install.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply but you just told me what to do, not how to do that? I mean I know I have to install 10.6.5 or some earlier version and then upgrade. But I am currently running Windows 7 on Intel based generic pc and want to install Mac OS without ruining my current OS. It would be really helpful if you tell me about such a installation tutorial.

Also can somebody tell me where to buy Mac OS 10.6.5? I checked Apple Store but I couldn't find the full installation package. All I found was a Combo pack which is an upgrade not a full install.

Thanks

The $29 Snow Leopard upgrade DVD from the Apple Store is a full install DVD that works on any Intel Mac (or on a compatible PC using the appropriate Boot132 CD or DVD…… :( )

The $29 Snow Leopard upgrade DVD from the Apple Store is a full install DVD that works on any Intel Mac (or on a compatible PC using the appropriate Boot132 CD or DVD…… :( )

Thanks for such a quick response! I thought $29 is too cheap for a full install DVD :) I see you're among the "Gurus" here. Any help regarding installation pls!

Thanks for such a quick response! I thought $29 is too cheap for a full install DVD :) I see you're among the "Gurus" here. Any help regarding installation pls!

Search IM OSx86 Snow Leopard Installation forum for install guides mentioning working for:

Intel G35 Express Chipset Graphics and Memory Controller Hub

(GMCH)

• Intel® 82801HB I/O Controller Hub (ICH8)

Graphics

• Intel G35 Express Chipset with Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator

X3500 (Intel® GMA X3500)

Intel® High Definition Audio interface

RealTek ALC888S audio codec

Intel® 82566DC Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mb/s) Ethernet LAN controller