"Where's the source?", and other questions

bdash

2 posts in this topic

1. Where is the source code for this application, and your modifications to the WebCore framework that is required to support the Windows version?
  2. Where is the license information for the WebKit code that you have used?
  3. Why are you not collaborating with the WebKit project on this? Portability is a goal for WebKit as it provides incentive to refactor and improve the rendering engine. Lots of work has already been put into a Windows port.
  4. Why does your website refer to the application as "WebKit"? That's very obviously misleading as it is a browser based on the WebKit libraries, and has the potential to mislead people seeking out the real WebKit.

I'd also suggest you think twice before using Apple's Safari logo so prominently on your page -- it's quite clearly a trademark and is a copyrighted image.

As a member of the WebKit open source community I would love to see a WebKit-based browser running on Windows, but I'd also prefer to see this accomplished by collaboration amongst the WebKit community rather than in a misleading fashion.

#1 we have a new name, Swift, the site design (and logo) doesn't reflect it yet as my designer is out of town for a while (sHARD>>)

#2 It's (the browser shell) licensed under a BSD license, the fact that I never included it yet HAS bothered me, and I will be releasing a msi and putting a notice on the site, with the license.

#3 We are using Apple's SVN code, I don't know if you were under the impression that we had our own "porting project" going on. Very nice work done to yall.

I had mentioned this into the webkit IRC channel, but nobody has seemed intrested. I haven't taken any more steps, but if yall in the WebKit dev group want to get involved, feel free to let me know!