SATA Dvd drive spins up randomly?

mrinehart93

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I recently installed Snow Leopard on my desktop (ASUS P5QL-Pro motherboard, Q6600 CPU, nVidia 9800GT gpu). Everything works great, except every now and then (like 10 minutes apart), my DVD drive will start to spin up and make noises as if I just inserted a disk... Is there any way I can fix that? This is the guide I used to install OS X: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...aded&start=

Also, this is somewhat unrelated, but I am running a dualboot with Windows 7. Right now I have the Windows 7 bootloader coming up first, and then I can pick from either Windows 7 or OS X. Picking OS X will take me to Chameleon, which lets me boot OS X. This is an easy task usually, but the thing is I used the modified OSInstall.mpkg when I installed OS X so that I could install it on a MBR disk... so there is no EFI partition. What I would like to do is have Chameleon come up first, and be able to boot OS X or Windows 7 (Chameleon is fancier than the Windows bootloader).

Thanks

Hi, I had a similar problem but I have fix it, my solution is simple, in the root you have a Extra folder from chameleon and a Extension folder well I remove all the kext from it and installed in the System/library/Extensions were normally they so post to be, and aded this kext: AppleNForceATA.kext.TEST AppleNForceATA.kext AppleOnboardPCATA.kext, then repaired disk permissions with Disk utility, and afther I apply DSDT pach according to my CPU i7 930 or wherever is yours follow the instructions on this on patching the DSDT in my case I have to copy the DSDT.aml to my root, after this restarted and wala no more problems, I now that installing the kext to the extension folder defined the purples, and in a update it my be replace or modified but if you will criade a backup of this you will be able to reinstall the kext again, this was the only solution that make it work for me, I'm not a tech but this is how it work for me this is the only help that I my give you

installing the kext to the extension folder defined the purples

Dude, what are you smoking and can I have some?

every now and then (like 10 minutes apart), my DVD drive will start to spin up and make noises as if I just inserted a disk

Known issue. Use the forum search to learn more.

Off the top of my head, four things you can try:

- Disable sleep for hard drives in the energy saver prefs.

- Leave a disc in the drive

- Install this and see if it helps (and please report back!):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=238159

- Define the purples!

• 1 year later...

Hello! I have the same problem, if there is no disk in the Drive, it will spin up in every 5-10 mins. But i solved with this scripts:

dvd_off.sh

#!/bin/sh
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOSCSIMultimediaCommandsDevice.kext
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IOBDStorageFamily.kext
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IOCDStorageFamily.kext

dvd_on.sh

#!/bin/sh
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOSCSIMultimediaCommandsDevice.kext
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IOBDStorageFamily.kext
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IOCDStorageFamily.kext

If You run the first script, it will ask for You root password, and then disable the DVD drive. It means, the OS will forget about that, and not check anymore. And yes, You can't use Your Drive as long as it disabled. If You want to use it again You need to enable it with the second script.

The second script will enable the drive, it means, the OS will initialize the drive again, and some seconds later it will be ready for use.

You can hardcode the root password in the scripts, but it not soooo secure.

You can check Your Drive with the "drutil" command. Check below:

$ drutil list

Vendor Product Rev Bus SupportLevel

1 HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N RR09 ATAPI Unsupported

$ ./dvd_off.sh

$ drutil list

$ ./dvd_on.sh

$ drutil list

1 HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N RR09 ATAPI Unsupported

Hope it helps.