Need help installing Mac OSX SL 10.6 Retail on MD8800 PC

kvdm

4 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I'm new here at InsanelyMac and I hope someone can help me out.

You are doing a great job here to help people out and I have been doing a lot of reading here lately.

First of all I will post my hardware config I am trying to install on :

Processor 1 ID = 0

Number of cores 2 (max 2)

Number of threads 2 (max 2)

Name Intel Pentium D 830

Codename SmithField

Specification Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.00GHz

Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x4)

CPUID F.4.4

Extended CPUID F.4

Core Stepping A0

Technology 90 nm

Core Speed 2793.0 MHz

Multiplier x FSB 14.0 x 199.5 MHz

Rated Bus speed 798.0 MHz

Stock frequency 3000 MHz

Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T

L1 Data cache 2 x 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Trace cache 2 x 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative

L2 cache 2 x 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

FID/VID Control yes

FID range 14.0x - 15.0x

VID range 1.116 V - 1.388 V

Northbridge Intel i945P rev. A1

Southbridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev. A1

Graphic Interface PCI-Express

PCI-E Link Width x16

PCI-E Max Link Width x16

Memory Type DDR2

Memory Size 4096 MBytes

mainboard: MSI MS-7204

FSB 533/ 800/1066MHz.

PCI Master v2.3, I/O APIC.

ACPI 2.0 Compliant.

video:MSI MS-V035 (Geforce 6700XL, 128 MB GDDR3)

Harddisk:Seagate ST3250823AS / 238,5 GB

Firewire 400/800

Audio : codec Realtek ALC882, Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec.

I can provide the CPU-Z information about this pc if needed.

What I have tried so far :

- install with iAtkos S3 V2 : reboots when booting up the install disk --> failed install

- install with Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard : reboots when booting up the install disk --> failed install

- install with EasyEFI v2.2 + retail DVD Mac OSX SL 10.6:

• install succeeded but when trying to boot from HD, pc reboots right after chameleon bootmanager is started.
  • when booting from EasyEFI v2.2 bootcd and then selecting installation on HD, SL boots perfectly, sound working, network working, the rest needs kext installed
  • when booting from HD, pc reboots right after chameleon bootmanager is started
  • when installing EasyEFI v2.2 tools + Nvidia Kext + legacy Kernel, after reboot I try to boot from HD again, now I get Kernel Panic instead of reboots. I can take picture of KP but I do not see any relevant information in there
  • If I boot now from EasyEFI v2.2 boot cd into HD installation, everything is working : sounds works, network works, even video works at highest resolution, sleep mode works, perfect
  • but I want to boot from HD without using the EasyEFI v2.2 bootcd everytime I boot.
  • I tried -f -v -x cpu=1 and all that stuff but no change
  • single user mode -s works to boot from HD

- install with nawcomModCD + retail DVD Mac OSX SL 10.6 :

• install succeeded and nawcomModCD selects some features during install : legacy kernel, automatic scan for network and some apps.
  • when booting from HD I get KP again
  • when booting from nawcomModCD bootCD and then selecting installation on HD, boot into SL works just fine, when booting from HD afterwards again KP
  • pending action : installing with nawcomModCD bootCD + retail DVD Mac OSX SL 10.6 and not selecting anything in custom install.

What to me is clear is that it can work on my hardware: when booting from EasyEFI v2.2 boot cd into HD installation, it always works, so I think I need to find a way to get the configuration of the EasyEFI v2.2 boot cd onto my HD to make it boot as the EasyEFI v2.2 boot cd does.

I switched to legacy kernel instead of the vanilla kernel because I read somewhere you need to have a core2 duo cpu or higher to use the vanilla kernel. My cpu is not that advanced, it has 2 cores but is not a core2 duo (it's 5 years old). Correct me if I am wrong.

Any help is welcome at this point, I am becoming desperate ...

Greetings,

Kris

I have the same computer MD8800 with snow leopard 10.6.5 full working, almost I need.

TV card and wifi don't work.

The trick I think is you need the kernel "Darwin 10.0.0" and boot in 32 bits.

Tell me if you got it.

Sorry about my English, I'm Spanish.

I have the same computer MD8800 with snow leopard 10.6.5 full working, almost I need.

TV card and wifi don't work.

The trick I think is you need the kernel "Darwin 10.0.0" and boot in 32 bits.

Tell me if you got it.

Sorry about my English, I'm Spanish.

Hello Borlam,

Your English is very good, don't worry.

Finally someone with the same config as I have.

I've been working for days on this and I got it more or less running but by far not everything is working.

I used the "chocolate" kernel as they call it in the install of the nawcom boot cd.

Initially installed with nawcom boot cd and retail OSX SL 10.6.

Then updated to OSX SL 10.6.5 and fixed USB with 10.6.4 kext as found on internet.

In fact this chocolate kernel is a legacy kernel I think. This was a darwin 10.0.0 kernel but sound was not working at all and also video was at a fixed resolution, wired network was working, wireless not working, TV card not working (don't really need that in OSX)

I then tried legacy kernel darwin 10.5.0 which loaded ok but still the same problems, no audio, video not as it should be.

Then tried kext for nvidia cards and put them into S/L/E, this worked for the video to get the correct resolution I need (1600x1200)

Then tried the azalia kext for the audio, this made the output work but not the input.

I then tried the ALC882_matemago.zip for the audio and this made output work and input seems to work in the system configuration but not working when I use my micro.

I had a bigger problem when I connected my usb drive, got a kernel panic everytime I connect a usb drive.

When I try to start in 64bit mode (arch=x86_x64) I can boot but nothing is working, not even wired network, not a good idea it seems.

Can you tell me how you installed OSX, what version you used and what you did to get everything working ?

Are you using SL 10.6.5 with darwin kernel 10.0.0 ?

Is everything really working and which kexts did you use or did you use a DSDT ?

Regards,

Kris

(I'm from Belgium)

• 2 months later...

Have you tried booting up from CD then in to de HD, once there, install the legacy_kernel (32 - 64 bits) and then restart normal from HD?

I did just that and had 32 bits at first then I upgraded to legacy_kernel 64 bits.

right now I'm running full Retail 10.6.3 with chocolate kernel.

AsRock G31M-VS2, nVidia GeForce 7300 SE. 1GB RAM 320 SATA HD, 160 IDE HD.

Dual boot with Windows 7

post-245788-1297621753_thumb.png