I want to test my OSX system

Noam AA

11 posts in this topic

hey there all, after starting my way with hackintosh here, i had a couple of weeks of installing mac on 2 systems by far

and have now some experience with all this hackintosh stuff. a lot information from here and the osx86 project

which by the end of the day had 2 almost successful retail installations.

so let me begin

my first installation was 10.5.6 retail on this hardware

Motherboard: P5K-SE

CPU: Quad Q6600

RAM: 4GB Kingston CL5

Graphics: Leadtek Geforce 8400 GS 256 MB

PCI CARDS:

Sound: RME HDSP 9632

DSP card : PowerCore MK2

So my first installation was to the OSX 10.5.6 Retail with a guide from here, then update to 10.5.8,

almost everything work fine except sleep, and something strange with the wifi, i tried to activate software when internet connection was on, but the program said something about troubling with the connection. this are the only two problem i had with this retail installation,

after, i installed a 10.6 retail installation on a i5+gigabyte hardware, installation was so freaking easy it was unbelievable, and on this system i had no troubles, sleep and the activation i mention was worked like a charm,

after, i had to see if i can make a 10.6 retail on my p5k-se, it was frustrating, one day of total mistakes, 4 installations without success, but the i let myself a night to comedown a little bit, and done everything by the book with no mistakes at all, the final result is an almost fully working machine under a 32 bit kernel flag.(and 10.6.5 update)

now i have 2 questions.

1. why even when I'm booting on a 32 bit kernel flag (x32) I'm still see on activity monitor apps run in 64 bit?

it's way way way faster then the 10.5.8 in almost every aspect. does programs still run on a native 64 bit mode even when I'm booting in a 32 bit kernel?

2. how can i test how well my system is,like how well drivers run with my system and cpu performance, hard drive performance

graphics i know it sucks, and want to ask you guys which chip graphic card (no so chip but not expensive) can i replace for better graphic performance, I'm also interesting in dual monitoring, but my current card have VGA troubles.

one more thing i have noticed, is my PC is FREAKING SUPPER QUIET under the Mac OSX, and it run supper smooth

even when my Win XP configured on a super twicking with a lot of services off, just the ones the system really need,

and still the MAC OS is a way way faster. i almost want to forget all this windows {censored} (a lot of knowledge on a real PC environment).

so first of thanks a lot x 100000000 for this awesome site, it been very helpful!

if anyone can help my by it will be much much appreciated!

1. why even when I'm booting on a 32 bit kernel flag (x32) I'm still see on activity monitor apps run in 64 bit?

it's way way way faster then the 10.5.8 in almost every aspect. does programs still run on a native 64 bit mode even when I'm booting in a 32 bit kernel?

No, I don't think programs can run in 64bit if you boot in 32 bit kernel.

I'm also booting in 32bit and no program loads in 64bit.

2. how can i test how well my system is,like how well drivers run with my system and cpu performance, hard drive performance

graphics i know it sucks, and want to ask you guys which chip graphic card (no so chip but not expensive) can i replace for better graphic performance, I'm also interesting in dual monitoring, but my current card have VGA troubles.

Your card can work on SL just look at this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225447 and if it doen't help just search around in forum I'm sure you find something.

If you want to buy a new card just search the forum to find which card work better with minimum work.

No, I don't think programs can run in 64bit if you boot in 32 bit kernel.

I'm also booting in 32bit and no program loads in 64bit.

i have uploaded a pic of my activity monitor, so what exactly going on there?

Your card can work on SL just look at this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225447 and if it doen't help just search around in forum I'm sure you find something.

If you want to buy a new card just search the forum to find which card work better with minimum work.

i also mantion i have an almost fully working machine, with graphics, but i can see it suck, i want it to be much smoother say like, whan i am viewing a graphical analyzer in one space, them move to another space to do my working, then i want to look at the all spaces place (all the tiny screens of the spaces) and there, in my current graphics if the analyzer is not the current program active, all the motion will go slow, until i click on it to activate it. (hope you understand)

also i have one more problem..

why my trash on my 10.6.5 is always full with a strange file (pic no.2)?

64_bit.tiff

pic_no2.tiff

i have uploaded a pic of my activity monitor, so what exactly going on there?

Ok you are running 64bit apps. But that's propably because you are booting in 64bit. With what bootflags do you load?

And just to be sure you can check in About This Mac -> More Info -> Software ->64-bit Kernel and Extensions if it is YES you are booting in 64bit

i also mantion i have an almost fully working machine, with graphics, but i can see it suck, i want it to be much smoother say like, whan i am viewing a graphical analyzer in one space, them move to another space to do my working, then i want to look at the all spaces place (all the tiny screens of the spaces) and there, in my current graphics if the analyzer is not the current program active, all the motion will go slow, until i click on it to activate it. (hope you understand)

I guess you need a better graphics card. You should look for an nvidia card or an Ati 5xxx series.

Search the forum for which cards are working so you can choose which suites you most.

also i have one more problem..

why my trash on my 10.6.5 is always full with a strange file (pic no.2)?

With that I can't help you. :D

Ok you are running 64bit apps. But that's propably because you are booting in 64bit. With what bootflags do you load?

And just to be sure you can check in About This Mac -> More Info -> Software ->64-bit Kernel and Extensions if it is YES you are booting in 64bit

i'm SURE i'm running on a 32 Bit kernel and it says under 64-bit Kernel and Extensions - NO, and i know i'm running 32 bit kernel only because this is the only way my PCI RME is supported. and the flag is -x32

something really strange haha, i think i get both world's under 32 bit haha because the native apps run super fast

let say i open safari, until the middle of the jumping icon the app is already open :)

I guess you need a better graphics card. You should look for an nvidia card or an Ati 5xxx series.

Search the forum for which cards are working so you can choose which suites you most.

actually i have ati 5450 but i figured it's unsupported, so i replaced it with my old one... until i figure which is the best to buy.

With that I can't help you. :D

real strange thing ha? :D it's doesn't bother me but it's sure strange

one more thing if you may help,

how can i clone my hard drive?, i want a safe complete backup but not so familiar with mac os yet

i'm SURE i'm running on a 32 Bit kernel and it says under 64-bit Kernel and Extensions - NO, and i know i'm running 32 bit kernel only because this is the only way my PCI RME is supported. and the flag is -x32

something really strange haha, i think i get both world's under 32 bit haha because the native apps run super fast

let say i open safari, until the middle of the jumping icon the app is already open :D

That's really strange. But good for you :D .

actually i have ati 5450 but i figured it's unsupported, so i replaced it with my old one... until i figure which is the best to buy.

Have tried the 5450 if it works. There are a lot of threads on the forum where people have a lot of solutions for the 5xxx series. You should give it a try. That's my opinion.

one more thing if you may help,

how can i clone my hard drive?, i want a safe complete backup but not so familiar with mac os yet

You boot from your install dvd and make and dmg of your drive with disk utility. That's what I do.

Or if you have windows you can use a windows tool to clone your drive.

That's really strange. But good for you :) .

Have tried the 5450 if it works. There are a lot of threads on the forum where people have a lot of solutions for the 5xxx series. You should give it a try. That's my opinion.

You boot from your install dvd and make and dmg of your drive with disk utility. That's what I do.

Or if you have windows you can use a windows tool to clone your drive.

thanks x1000000 man!

you've been helpful, but my 5450 isn't supported, i have found that only 57/58/58xx series have a successful installation

oh well, 80-100 $ i would pay for a good working card

Just out of curiosity which kernel do you use?

And I would try the 5450 in your place. It took me 2 weeks to get my card working but now it does with full resolution QE and CL. Just saying.

For a new card I would go with a geforce 300 or 400 series or an ati 5770

Just out of curiosity which kernel do you use?

i think it's vanilla kernel... how can i check it?

And I would try the 5450 in your place. It took me 2 weeks to get my card working but now it does with full resolution QE and CL. Just saying.

For a new card I would go with a geforce 300 or 400 series or an ati 5770

i would love to test it but i don't know where to begin if i will need to edit some kext myself, so it only by guides so far

if you can link me to some knowledge bases i can go into for starting mess with thing a little more it will be much appreciated!

Don't mind about the kernel I was just curious.

For your 5450 try this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231756

the guy whore started it is very helpful,

also try this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=224063

and this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768

I wish you good luck with that and patience :(

Don't mind about the kernel I was just curious.

For your 5450 try this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231756

the guy whore started it is very helpful,

also try this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=224063

and this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768

I wish you good luck with that and patience :D

thanks man in chaking it right away, maybe i'll will success who know :(

and hell ya about the patience, it's much much needed with this hole thing, but it make me happy on hole other level :)

i already searching where can i buy locally the SL retail just because everything runs flawlessly .

again, thanks for your patience and help!!