Snow Leopard 10.6.3 hangs on gray apple screen

DVL_IAC

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm trying to set up a dual boot, on my MSI Wind U100 Netbook, between Windows XP and Mac OS X. I used iAtkos S3 V2 Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and everything installed fine and I got the dual boot working. When I choose the xp boot xp boots fine but when I choose the mac boot it gives an "EBIOS read error: Device timeout block 0x0 Sectors 0" and repeats that 4 times then goes to the MacOSX loader, then goes to a gray screen with an apple logo and just freezes there...

If i do a boot -v I get a bunch of quick text then it goes to a black screen and freezes there

If I do a boot -x it goes back to the same gray apple screen and freezes still

I've been looking for a couple hours for a solution but haven't found one. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Heres a video showing what it does without then with -v

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCe7ckSLnJs

Specs:

Processor: Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz

Chipset: Intel 945GSE

Ram: 1GB DDR 2

HDD: SATA 160 GB 5400RPM

Graphics: Intel GMA 950

Sound: Realtek HD Audio

Thanks for any replies. =-)

[edit] Actually just tried again and it doesn't give me that EBIOS read error anymore, but still hangs on that gray apple screen.

Yea, the EBIOS error a "disk read error", it can't read the DVD, either it is dirty, defective or your drive has "issues".

Boot with -s.

Type in

/sbin/fsck -fy

and

/sbin/mount -uw /.

If it says "File System Was Modified".

Then type "reboot".

If it doesn't just type "exit."

If you have to reboot, type -s again, wait for it to boot and then type "exit."

it doesn't give the ebios error anymore but anyway I tried the boot -s and hit enter and some quick text appears then it just goes to a black screen and hangs there. it doesnt give any way of entering those other commands.

On an unrelated note. Anyone know why I can't post using IE? I type the post fine but then when I post it its like i typed nothing. everything disappears... works in FF though..

I read that thread and if I'm understanding correctly, I have to find an older version like 10.6.0 or 10.6.1 and install that then do an Apple Software update to the newer version but before it re boots I have to install the kernel patch and patched SleepEnabler.kext? Then after that it should work fine?

I read that thread and if I'm understanding correctly, I have to find an older version like 10.6.0 or 10.6.1 and install that then do an Apple Software update to the newer version but before it re boots I have to install the kernel patch and patched SleepEnabler.kext? Then after that it should work fine?

No, install the version you have and patch the kernel before reboot and needed kexts.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I should post what I ended up doing so it doesn't look like I just abandoned the thread. :P I ended up finding a forum that made a Snow Leopard specifically for this netbook called SnowyWindOSX. I just reformatted the partition and installed that and it works perfectly. :)