Snow Leopard on Vostro 1710

RDominick

5 posts in this topic

Alright. I finally decided to try to install Snow Leopard on my Dell Vostro 1710. I had an existing leopard partition which I used to install everything from. I will be walking you through what I did as well as attaching all my files I used because there is no other 1710's on here with Snow. Believe me I checked. And I wish there was, it might of helped me. First of all here is my setup:

GMA X3100

ALC268

3gb Ram

320gb HD

Blah

Blah

Blah

That's good enough. Now for the good stuff.

Alright, I used the Universal Snow Install 3.6. I made a partition called Snow in Disk Utility then I installed Snow Leopard to that partition right from Leopard. Then I installed Chameleon RC5 to that same partition. Then replace the Extra folder with the one I've provided. Boot in to Snow and install the rest of the stuff I've given you. And that's pretty much it. You might have to configure some stuff you way you like but not much. Easy right. That's because I've done all the work for you. I've modded my DSDT. Found all the kexts that work. Given you my c.a.boot.plist. Maybe I should sit here and tell you everything I've done to make this work so you have a better appreciation but I'm not going to.

Oh, I included two audio kexts that both work. It's just the VoodooHDA works after sleep and the AppleHDA just works(louder, mic, autoswitching) but not after sleep, so I didn't know which to include. Enjoy.

File name: snowFiles.zip File size: 11.45 MB

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm trying an install of snow leopard on the same notebook, but as soon as the installer loads, I'm only getting half of a screen. I can see any of the dialog boxes for the install, just half of the background showing on the left half of the screen.

I've tried both empire EFI and universal snow 3.6.

Any ideas?

B

Alright. I finally decided to try to install Snow Leopard on my Dell Vostro 1710. I had an existing leopard partition which I used to install everything from. I will be walking you through what I did as well as attaching all my files I used because there is no other 1710's on here with Snow. Believe me I checked. And I wish there was, it might of helped me. First of all here is my setup:

GMA X3100

ALC268

3gb Ram

320gb HD

Blah

Blah

Blah

That's good enough. Now for the good stuff.

Alright, I used the Universal Snow Install 3.6. I made a partition called Snow in Disk Utility then I installed Snow Leopard to that partition right from Leopard. Then I installed Chameleon RC5 to that same partition. Then replace the Extra folder with the one I've provided. Boot in to Snow and install the rest of the stuff I've given you. And that's pretty much it. You might have to configure some stuff you way you like but not much. Easy right. That's because I've done all the work for you. I've modded my DSDT. Found all the kexts that work. Given you my c.a.boot.plist. Maybe I should sit here and tell you everything I've done to make this work so you have a better appreciation but I'm not going to.

Oh, I included two audio kexts that both work. It's just the VoodooHDA works after sleep and the AppleHDA just works(louder, mic, autoswitching) but not after sleep, so I didn't know which to include. Enjoy.

File name: snowFiles.zip File size: 11.45 MB

Hi,

I'm trying an install of snow leopard on the same notebook, but as soon as the installer loads, I'm only getting half of a screen. I can see any of the dialog boxes for the install, just half of the background showing on the left half of the screen.

I've tried both empire EFI and universal snow 3.6.

Any ideas?

B

This is really really really really simple if you already have a Leopard install. I've put hours of work in one zip file and made it as easy as I could. So, inside your Leopard partition start by opening Disk Utility and a make a new partition and call it Snow. Then run the universal snow 3.6 installer but make sure you install it to the new "Snow" partition you just made. Then install Chameleon to the "Snow" partition. Then replace the Extra folder, in the Snow partition, with the one I've supplied. Now make the Snow partition active. Reboot. This should get you into Snow Leopard where you can use kext helper to installer the last few kexts. It is really simple if you already have a Leopard install.

If you did this exactly and are still having problems then completely start over by going into Disk Utility and erasing the Snow partition and re-installing. And make sure you customize the install and uncheck everything.

Let me know how if goes.

Well. I got it working (almost all of it). I'm guessing you weren't using the Intel 3945 Wifi N card.

The only thing that doesn't work properly is the sound after sleep mode. And the wireless. I've ordered a new Dell DW1505 Wireless N mini pci card from ebay that will work, but I'm not sure why I'm getting funny business after sleep mode; sound has static crackle, and won't go away until I reboot. Everything else works like you directed.

As I don't own a copy of Leopard 1.5.x I did start the install a little different, and I thought I'd add it here:

I plugged in an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. Booted from Empire EFI cd then switched it for the original Snow Leopard 10.6. Installed, then rebooted, booted from Empire EFI cd again then selected the internal hard drive to finish booting from. Copied the "snowfiles" that you were nice enough to package up above, installed kexts, then updated to 10.6.6 without any problem. i had to remove the AppleHDA kext before installing the VoodooHDA as it was a vanilla install. Installed Chameleon RC5.

And I have it as a dual boot with Windows 7 using only the Chameleon bootloader to start up, no [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Drive was partitined as GUID, HFS+ journaled on one side, FAT on the other that Win7 converts to NTFS.

• 2 weeks later...

RDominick,

I have Airport working with the new Dell DW1505. Awesome.

Do you have any issues with the trackpad, or sleep after the lid is closed, then opened?

I'm running 10.6.6, but I have 3 minor issues left:

After sleep, static sounds come from the speakers, mouse defaults to topmost icon upon releasing the button.

Trackpad works, perro scrolling is not working, two finger or otherwise. "no trackpad found" in system prefs

battery indicator not working. Current battery charge 0%, cannot enable "show battery status" in menu bar.

Any of these working for you?