2 x HD4850's drive 4 x 24" Screens

no_clue

13 posts in this topic

G'day All,

I am such a novice when it comes to OS X, so can someone tell me what happens to graphics drivers when booted in [-x] Safe Mode? For my two HD4850's function flawlessly and are detected with their displays perfectly in Safe Mode, hence I can span my desktop across four 24" DELL's; but when I boot normally, only two screens will function properly and my mouse will behave [along with any window dragged to the other screens] completely erratically as it always has done with 10.6.2.

From what I understand Quartz Extreme hardware accelerated graphics is disabled, but what else occurs?

Or, since only required kernel extensions are loaded during Safe Mode - could it be my 2 x HD4850's would work on a normal boot - but an interfering kext is spoiling the show? Sorry for being completely amatureish and most likely ridiculously naive, so any thoughts suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Ok, so after checking loaded kexts – atiradeonx2000 doesnt load in Safe Mode [which i dare say most of you will be saying ‘no sh*t Sherlock]...so removing that, it all works obviously on a normal boot but without QE/CI/opengl – right? So, are there any tricks / patches / adding of DevieID’s etc. that can be performed on the 2000.kext to get it to work?

Any help / support / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I have a 4850 myself on 10.6.4 but to get it working I had to use a new set of atiframebuffer and atisupport files along with a different radeonx2000.kext file mainly because I have the hdmi dvi vga version but with a dual dvi version it should be as simple as adding your device ID's to the ati4800controller.kext and using graphics enabler = y at the boot prompt or in your boot plist.

If anything I could just post up the files that you need and you just install the kexts and run one of the packages and it should get you're 4850 working with QE/CI.

Yeah, that would be brilliant mate.

Currently, I have device id added to ati4800 and have added graphicsenabler=y [without x2000 so i can boot normally]. When I re-introduce atiradeonx2000, the primary card - which is dual dvi - functions as normal, but the second card - which is like yours, dvi and hdmi - becomes very unstable. So maybe your files could do the trick?

Thank in anticipation and cheers for the support.

I have a 4850 myself on 10.6.4 but to get it working I had to use a new set of atiframebuffer and atisupport files along with a different radeonx2000.kext file mainly because I have the hdmi dvi vga version but with a dual dvi version it should be as simple as adding your device ID's to the ati4800controller.kext and using graphics enabler = y at the boot prompt or in your boot plist.

If anything I could just post up the files that you need and you just install the kexts and run one of the packages and it should get you're 4850 working with QE/CI.

That would be awesome. I have a HD4850 myself, but it has: HDMI,DVI and DisplayPort on it. And the output only works on the HDMI port.

sure thing I'll be glad to help you guys out just send me a pm and I'll add you on msn or aim and I'll help you to get it working

and chevelle you have yours working via hdmi? I've only gotten mine working with dvi \= not unstable at all though it works fine

sure thing I'll be glad to help you guys out just send me a pm and I'll add you on msn or aim and I'll help you to get it working

and chevelle you have yours working via hdmi? I've only gotten mine working with dvi \= not unstable at all though it works fine

Yep, only works with HDMI. I use a HDMI to DVI cable =). But I would like to just use the DVI if I could. I use the patch from netkas here. If I don't use the patch and boot up with DVI only It get a garbled screen and nothing via HDMI.

You didn't use the package for the 4980 right you just added your dev ids to the 4800 kext rigiht?

apparently that's all you have to do in 10.6.5 but I can't update because I get a kernel panic when I do so I'm just rocking on 10.6.4 for a bit

Yep, tried add my id to the 4800 kext. No dice, still get garbled screen. And to correct myself, it was the patch from here.

Well I just updated to 10.6.5 and my sapphire 4850 only works via the dvi the hdmi and vga don't work still. Tried the patch from the link that you sent me but no dice either with that and my sys profiler still shows as a 4830 dunno why. Unless it's the dual dvi 4850's the one with the other ports tend to be sketchy when trying to get them to work.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I just updated to 10.6.5 and my sapphire 4850 only works via the dvi the hdmi and vga don't work still. Tried the patch from the link that you sent me but no dice either with that and my sys profiler still shows as a 4830 dunno why. Unless it's the dual dvi 4850's the one with the other ports tend to be sketchy when trying to get them to work.

every time i read stuff about ati4800controller kexts people are talking about putting in their IDs in the kext, but it seems that every one of those kexts i come across already has my ID in it 94421002. Am I missing something. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

@ luthan

It isn't a dumb question and so long as your ID are in the 4800 and the x2000 kexts then your card should recognized.

What are you currently seeing?

i actually got my 4850 working perfectly in 64bit mode. While following some guides i deleted all of the ATI kexts, and was missing some files. Learned more about this stuff in the process. Didnt even need aty_init stuff after upgrading to 10.6.5. [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] should really include the framebuffer and atisupport kexts in the package.

kexts.com has a package of all 10.6.5 kexts. which saved me some time as well.