Successful installed Snow Leopard on ZOTAC ZBOX HD-22 Mini PC using Retail DVD + iBoot loader and Mac OS X 10.6.4 Combo update

LKS3197

83 posts in this topic

from Lai in HK:

I purchased a Zotac ZBOX HD-22 Intel Celeron Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Nvidia ION Chipset with 9300 Graphic Adaptor, 250GB HDD. Over last 3-4 weeks trail-n-errors on installation of OSX 86 10.6.x, and finally got it work using

- [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] loader ( to be downloaded from internet )

- Snow Leopard Retail DVD

BIOS changes

- Need to switch HDD SATA mode to AHCI

- Enable only USB 2.0 FullSpeed mode, and don't choose HiSpeed mode, otherwise will get AppleUSBECHI errors and USB ports will NOT work, except keyboard and mouse

when after booting [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], press F5 and take out [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD, insert Snow Leopard retail DVD, wait until Snow Leopard DVD Install icon appears, and press <Enter> to install, and don't give any EFI flag, e.g. don't use -v -f, etc. Just let it boot

And you should be ok to boot into the OSX 86 setup.

Better to use a blank new SATA 2.5" HDD

Everything works, Core Extreme works, USB works, LAN works, Sound works. Except unable to recognize the Asure Technology built-in WiFi, may consider using Dlink USB Wifi as a working Wifi option.

youtube video on installation:

Good luck.

from Lai in HK:

I purchased a Zotac ZBOX HD-22 Intel Celeron Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Nvidia ION Chipset with 9300 Graphic Adaptor, 250GB HDD. Over last 3-4 weeks trail-n-errors on installation of OSX 86 10.6.x, and finally got it work using

- [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] loader ( to be downloaded from internet )

- Snow Leopard Retail DVD

BIOS changes

- Need to switch HDD SATA mode to AHCI

- Enable only USB 2.0 FullSpeed mode, and don't choose HiSpeed mode, otherwise will get AppleUSBECHI errors and USB ports will NOT work, except keyboard and mouse

when after booting [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], press F5 and take out [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD, insert Snow Leopard retail DVD, wait until Snow Leopard DVD Install icon appears, and press <Enter> to install, and don't give any EFI flag, e.g. don't use -v -f, etc. Just let it boot

And you should be ok to boot into the OSX 86 setup.

Better to use a blank new SATA 2.5" HDD

Everything works, Core Extreme works, USB works, LAN works, Sound works. Except unable to recognize the Asure Technology built-in WiFi, may consider using Dlink USB Wifi as a working Wifi option.

youtube video on installation:

Good luck.

I got the Wifi working as well, please go to this website to download the Mac driver for RA2860 PCIe Wifi and install that, after reboot, the wifi adaptor should be working....Enjoy.

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3

Lai

Thnx!

One question: what kexts are added after the instalation?

(i want buy this zbox for myself)

Basically no .kext required except the RA2860 PCIe Wifi driver and you need to download it from the www.ralinktech.com.tw to download the correct Wifi driver in .dmg

Good luck

May be USB Rollback can help with usb functionality?

USB - As of [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 2.4.1, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] has been updated to include USB Rollback, which enables full USB functionality on 10.6.5. If you already have a system installed using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], simply install the new USB Rollback option

May be USB Rollback can help with usb functionality?

Thanks, but since setting the BIOS on FullSpeed mode on USB can enable all the USB ports and I could even run Time Machine to backup the OSX86 without any issues, so I won't risking to install the USB Rollback as it's NOT like normal Mac Snow Leopard, every time we install any patches, or updates, will need to bear the risk of encountering kernel panic.

As far as current setup with 10.6.4 works fine, I would rather stick with that.

Anyway, thanks.

So, which one is it... Celeron or Core 2 Duo? Those are two different processors...

It's actually a Celeron Duo Core U2300 1.2GHZ CPU Ultra Low Voltage (CULV), you can check in out from Zotac official website under the Zotac ZBOX Mini PC series Model is HD-ND22.

FullSpeed = 12mbit/s? it`s so slow.

Not exactly I didn't feel the degradation on the USB ports' speed. I think the setting of the BIOS is more to bypass the AppleUSBECHI...errors, I don't know.

I applied a external USB 2.0 HDD on Time Machine backup and it did perform like at USB 2.0 speed

• 1 month later...

Hi Roger,

thx for the guide, i am still waiting for the delivery of my Zbox.

As far as i understood your guide, i will just need [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and a retail Snow Leopard DVD to make the installation. I am very surprised that the installation from hackintosh is that easy :) fotThe HD-ND22.

Since i will use the ZBOX with Mac OSX for Media Center purposes (with XBMC or Pex installed) i would like to know:

- is Wifi working properly (after the installaion of the driver you mentioned ) with Mac OSX

- is HDMI Audio working with Mac OSX

- is Suspend to Ram working on Mac OSX (S3), and can you wake up with a remote from S3 ( aple remote or MCE Rmote)

And in general is the Zbox working proper eough for daily use, or is it mostly unstable and having errors ??

Thx in advance for your help. I will share my experience as soon as i get my order delivered.

Nayuna

Hi Roger,

thx for the guide, i am still waiting for the delivery of my Zbox.

As far as i understood your guide, i will just need [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and a retail Snow Leopard DVD to make the installation. I am very surprised that the installation from hackintosh is that easy :) fotThe HD-ND22.

Since i will use the ZBOX with Mac OSX for Media Center purposes (with XBMC or Pex installed) i would like to know:

- is Wifi working properly (after the installaion of the driver you mentioned ) with Mac OSX

- is HDMI Audio working with Mac OSX

- is Suspend to Ram working on Mac OSX (S3), and can you wake up with a remote from S3 ( aple remote or MCE Rmote)

And in general is the Zbox working proper eough for daily use, or is it mostly unstable and having errors ??

Thx in advance for your help. I will share my experience as soon as i get my order delivered.

Nayuna

Hi Nayuna,

You asked a similar set of questions which another net friend asked me. Unfortunately up to now, the HDMI audio did not seem to work properly in OSX ( but it works perfect for all audit, ie Line Out, HDMI ) and hence when I tried Plexapp, the audio only works when I connected a Bluetooth Headset with it. For non-Plexapp, like Front Row, the Line Out and Bluetooth headset work both.

I did not install any remote hardware or software so far, because my ZOtac normally is used to boot Windows 7 Ultimate for my family as they don't like to use OSX, except me.

The Wifi card is NOT stable and it requires frequent activating of the Wifi Profile, when it sleeps.

Apart from above 2 minor short falls, I am still happy with this cheap option of OSX with quite acceptable WIndows 7 performance. Since I have a real Macbook Pro ( 2007 model ), I am now able to use OSX any time when I need them. Recently, when my family use my Macbook Pro ( with bootcamp ) to run WIndows, then I can't use OSX.

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger,

my unit will be delivered today, so i will give Mac OSX a try on the Zotac. But without HDMI audio, its useless for me.

@all : Anyone here with similar experience on a Zotac ZBOX or an idea on how we could solve this problem with no HDMI-Audio.

And Roger did you check the Settings of MAC OSX if there is an option that you have to enable to passtrough the sound to HDMI instaed of line-out ??

Nayuna

Hi Roger,

my unit will be delivered today, so i will give Mac OSX a try on the Zotac. But without HDMI audio, its useless for me.

@all : Anyone here with similar experience on a Zotac ZBOX or an idea on how we could solve this problem with no HDMI-Audio.

And Roger did you check the Settings of MAC OSX if there is an option that you have to enable to passtrough the sound to HDMI instaed of line-out ??

Nayuna

Nayuna,

I will try to research in the internet on how to resolve the HDMI audio, but it will definitely take time. Until then, you shall try the OSX installation first and if you have some other Bluetooth Speaker(s)/audio at least it serves the sound purpose as an interim. I hope also to fix the HDMI audio, but finding a right fix on all these peripheral related issues is a real pain and all I'll do is keep trying at my leisure time.

Until then, wish you good luck and happy new year 2011

Roger

Hi Roger,

Nayuna

Nayuna,

You may want to check on Post #759 which I cut & paste the contents here

You may be able to get audio via HDMI cable from your computer to LCD TV.

What do you need?

- DIY.

- OS X 10.6.3 ? (I tested on this one.) Important! You must get AppleHDA working for your sound card and have Digital Output.

- Nvidia graphic cards that have a "native HDMI" port (or may be some working graphic cards via DVI-HDMI adaptor).

- An audio cable connecting between SPDIF input on Nvidia graphic card and SPDIF output on mainboard, see your manuals and test it on Windows OS.

- AppleHDA.kext 1.8.4fc3 (10.6.3), never test older ones.

- Absolutely an HDMI cable. :(

- Digital Out will be chosen in Sound Preferences.

- You need to set GFX string with DVI/DVI (NVCAP) or use DSDT for graphic enabler.

CODE "NVCAP",

Buffer (0x18)

{

/* 0000 */ 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00,

/* 0008 */ 0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07,

/* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

Alphonse tested on 9400GT and I tested on 9500GT. Alphone and I have the same LCD TV, Samsung B650 series so I have no idea this will or will not work on other LCD TVs. He told me that he got audio via an HDMI cable. So, I borrowed 9500GT that has a native HDMI port from my brother for testing and then I got it working. But, I got something weird about Sound Preferences after I selected Digital Out. I have read some people are using GTX260 or higher can work on OS X 10.6.3 via DVI-HDMI adaptor so they might be able to get sound via HDMI by selecting Digital Output.

Good luck.

I've NOT tried that out, but this may be the solution.

Has anyone had any success yet in getting the HDMI audio out to work properly? Also does the toslink/SPDIF work on this installation?

I seem to be having a strange problem with my installation, whenever I shutdown or restart the zbox certain BIOS settings revert back. The USB settings revert to the old non working values, and the IDE settings change from AHCI to SATA. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Hi received my Zotac box Hd-ND22, but i could not install Mc OS X since ibot didt show up the MacOS Icon to start the installation. And yes i did enable AHCI mode for IDE and set USB to Fullspeed instead of Hispeed.

So i cant give you an feedback on that sound issue. I will try to install MAC OSX some times later, maybe the next weekend. But if anyone can make progress on this issue, please share it here with us.

Hi, I have a Zotac HD-22 and would love to Copy my running system to a 2,5" HDD.

Is it possible for you to share your DSDT File or better your complete Extra Folder?

Would be great, cause I do not have an external CD Rom Drive to make Retail Installation...

xxx

derpuma

Hi, I have a Zotac HD-22 and would love to Copy my running system to a 2,5" HDD.

Is it possible for you to share your DSDT File or better your complete Extra Folder?

Would be great, cause I do not have an external CD Rom Drive to make Retail Installation...

xxx

derpuma

OK, how about you send an email to my GMAIL lks3197@gmail.com and let me know what file/path/directory you want, I will try zipping or compressing them and send them to you...hopefully within the size of the GMAIL mail.

Lai

Hi received my Zotac box Hd-ND22, but i could not install Mc OS X since ibot didt show up the MacOS Icon to start the installation. And yes i did enable AHCI mode for IDE and set USB to Fullspeed instead of Hispeed.

So i cant give you an feedback on that sound issue. I will try to install MAC OSX some times later, maybe the next weekend. But if anyone can make progress on this issue, please share it here with us.

Hi Nayuna, too bad to hear the news, but it should not be the case, as one of my vendor follow exactly what I did and he did get through the installation process completely and smoothly.

Did you see the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] logo at least after it boots and did you see the Snow Leopard Install Disk icon ? Or are you using the Retail SL DVD 10.6 ?

Lai

THx for the quick reply! I have seen your Video on Youtube. Unfortunatly i cannot Install OSX like you did caus I do not have an external DVD Rom and I am not able to burm my Retail OSX Snow Inage on a Dual Layer DVD.

So what I did is, I cloned my running OSX 10.6.4 trying to boot from the Zotac, witch does nor work properly.

What i am interested in is to know:

1) Can you set the resoltution of your Monitor to Higer Settings than 1024x768?

2) Do you have a Extra Folder in your Root with a DSDT.aml File an Extensions Folder, or do you but just Vanialla, without any modifikations of your OSX Snow Install?

If you are using a DSDT an Extensiojns in /Extra than itz would be great if you could share it with me.

If not I will look for a external Rom an will try the Insatllation the way you did.

derpuma

Hi Nayuna, too bad to hear the news, but it should not be the case, as one of my vendor follow exactly what I did and he did get through the installation process completely and smoothly.

Did you see the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] logo at least after it boots and did you see the Snow Leopard Install Disk icon ? Or are you using the Retail SL DVD 10.6 ?

Lai

Hi i can see the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] logo but the Snow leopard Install Disk icon doesn't appear. I will try it maybe this weekend again.

@LKS3197 - Would you mind posting screen shots of your BIOS please? I'm either getting EHCI errors or Kernel Panic on boot depending on how I have the BIOS set, even if I set it as you suggested I get a Kernel Panic so would be most appreciative if you could show us how you have your BIOS set :D

Many thanks,

R.