Resize (expand) my OSX Partition?

dadi_oh

6 posts in this topic

I have Snow Leopard installed on my Hackintosh ASUS P5Q-Pro, Q6600, 8GB, 8800GTS which is my video server for the house. When I first hacked this computer I partitioned the 500GB into 2 parts and called the second partition my "Sandbox" in case anything went wrong I would have a way to get back to where I started. Well as it turns out this thing has worked beautifully stable for over a year now and I could use my 250GB back now. So what I want to do is to delete the sandbox partition and merge that space back into my main OSX partition. I imagine there is partitioning SW available to do this but given the unique circumstances of a Hackintosh would these mess up this installation?

Or am I better to use something like Superduper to make an image of the main partition onto a backup. Boot from the backup and then repartition the original OSX. Then Superduper it back?

Any help greatly appreciated.

AFAIK if it is a GPT (Guid Partition Table) disk, you can resize it using Disk Utility. It should be safe to do. Like this.

Ooooo. That would be nice. I never noticed that you can grab the corner of the partition that way. I'll give it a shot.

On a related note... I do have an external drive that serves as my time machine. If this messes up and I have to reinstall from scratch does anyone know if I can start the install and then point it to my time machine to get everything back (like on a real Mac). Or do the hack mods and kext updates prevent this from working transparently like that?

What do you mean by that?

When you do a new OS X installation one of the first things it asks you is if you have a time machine disk. If you do, then it does a fresh OS installation but also restores all your settings, documents, and applications. I just wasn't sure if the specialized "settings" of a hacked OS X would get messed up in this process.

When you do a new OS X installation one of the first things it asks you is if you have a time machine disk. If you do, then it does a fresh OS installation but also restores all your settings, documents, and applications. I just wasn't sure if the specialized "settings" of a hacked OS X would get messed up in this process.
I see. Yes, you can do that. In fact I had my SL install done in that manner. Installed (with all needed stuff in EFI partition), rebooted and did "Transfer .... from another volume on this mac" (from Leopard). And had all the settings, applications and files transferred to SL.