Update Graphics Card... What's compatible?

dhorn92

5 posts in this topic

I recently acquired a Hackintosh computer with great specs except for the graphics card which is a little lacking. I'd like to buy a new gfx card for it tomorrow, but I want to get something that will still be compatible with my Mac OSX side as well... I'm looking to do some gaming with it on the windows side (nothing outrageous) and I was hoping to do something along the lines of an ATI Radeon 5770... but from what I've read they aren't compatible with Hackintosh yet.

I just got this computer earlier today and I'm not new to computers but I'm a total newb to the OSx68 stuff. Any information or point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

I did some searching around and couldn't find what I'm looking for... so please don't bash me for posting a question like this. I did look around a bit before, just need a nudge in the right direction!

:wacko:

So the 460GTX is working properly then?

The 9800GTX is decent (much better than what I've got now) but I've actually got one of those on my 2 year old PC gaming rig that I gave to my brother. Looking for something a little more powerful. I may just try the 5770 after all, I think I read that some users are having success with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] using 5XXX series Radeon graphics cards. I don't even care if it only works with one port, that's all I'll ever use. I used to have dual screens and didn't like them very much.

I may just go with a 460GTX though... going to the store today so I'll look around.

I didn't say get the 460GTX. My point is that we can say that, but dont quote us on it.

Before you "storm the castle", why dont you read some more on this topic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=151

You should've went there in the first place.

You didn't have to say it, you implied it. You said "depending on your budget". That sounds like "I wouldn't spend that much on it, but if I could afford it I would."

Sorry if I took that the wrong way, but it came across as though the GTX460 works with hackintosh.

I had already read up on the topic, and I had already reviewed that section of this site. I mentioned that in my first post. But I didn't find what I was looking for which is why I made a thread for suggestions.

No big deal, I found some info on another site about using a different method than the one that was done on this computer when I acquired it. It showed to be compatible with 5000 series ATI cards so that's what I decided to go with.

I purchased a Diamond Radeon HD 5770 1GB and it's running flawlessly in both Mac OSX 10.6.4 and Windows 7 Ultimate.