nVidia 9800GT 512MB without QE/CI

tr309

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've got my second OSx86 machine up and running. The first one works like a charm (better than my MacBook Pro). There are only two issues troubling me at the moment with this one. The performance is a little sluggish - particularly the OS animation effects e.g. minimizing windows, dragging windows but also full-screen YouTube videos run quite slow. The second issue is that QE/CI is not functional and I've tried a few things already to fix this. Here are my questions:

1) Would the lack of QE/CI explain why some of the OS features are running poorly?

2) I'd really like to try the NVEnabler.kext but I think my DSDT file is already patched with something for the graphics card and no matter what kexts I try, nothing changes. Are the kexts being ignored because of the DSDT file?

3) Is there a way of removing the graphics card parts in the DSDT file without removing other important parts/patches?

I really don't want to have to install everything from scratch again.

Many thanks for your help,

Richard

Hi,

I've got my second OSx86 machine up and running. The first one works like a charm (better than my MacBook Pro). There are only two issues troubling me at the moment with this one. The performance is a little sluggish - particularly the OS animation effects e.g. minimizing windows, dragging windows but also full-screen YouTube videos run quite slow. The second issue is that QE/CI is not functional and I've tried a few things already to fix this. Here are my questions:

1) Would the lack of QE/CI explain why some of the OS features are running poorly?

Yes that and the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext can cause the jerky video symptoms you describe with this family of video cards, I have attached the Disabler.kext with it blacklisted so it won't load if you want to give it a try.

2) I'd really like to try the NVEnabler.kext but I think my DSDT file is already patched with something for the graphics card and no matter what kexts I try, nothing changes. Are the kexts being ignored because of the DSDT file?

Not sure there but the DSDT.aml is the way to go if you get it working properly you'll never have to mess with it again the section I use has worked since Leopard when I had my 8800GT all that needed changing when I went with a 9800GT was the first 8 in the description that gets displayed otherwise the cards are identical in function.

3) Is there a way of removing the graphics card parts in the DSDT file without removing other important parts/patches?

Sure all you need to do is remove the section that was added for the video card then re-compile and copy over the .aml file to be used in place of the old one.

I really don't want to have to install everything from scratch again.

Won't do you no good anyways you'll still have the same problem and will have just created more work for yourself. I have included the graphics part from my file below you may want to compare it to what you use in your file, my card is dual dvi interfaces both working properly. The part you need to really pay attention to is between the Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) and MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0)) parts if you have dual dvi then it should be the same.

Device (PEGP)
		 {
			 Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
			 Device (GFX0)
			 {
				 Name (_ADR, Zero)
				 Name (_SUN, One)
				 Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				 {
					 Store (Package (0x16)
						 {
							 "@0,compatible", 
							 Buffer (0x0B)
							 {
								 "NVDA,NVMac"
							 }, 

"@0,device_type", 
							 Buffer (0x08)
							 {
								 "display"
							 }, 

"@0,name", 
							 Buffer (0x0F)
							 {
								 "NVDA,Display-A"
							 }, 

"@1,compatible", 
							 Buffer (0x0B)
							 {
								 "NVDA,NVMac"
							 }, 

"@1,device_type", 
							 Buffer (0x08)
							 {
								 "display"
							 }, 

"@1,name", 
							 Buffer (0x0F)
							 {
								 "NVDA,Display-B"
							 }, 

"NVCAP", 
							 Buffer (0x18)
							 {
								 /* 0000 */	0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
								 /* 0008 */	0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 
								 /* 0010 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							 }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
							 Buffer (0x04)
							 {
								 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20
							 }, 

"device_type", 
							 Buffer (0x0D)
							 {
								 "NVDA,GeForce"
							 }, 

"model", 
							 Buffer (0x17)
							 {
								 "nVidia GeForce 9800 GT"
							 }, 

"rom-revision", 
							 Buffer (0x25)
							 {
								 "nVidia GeForce 9800 GT OpenGL Engine"
							 }
						 }, Local0)
					 MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
					 Return (Local0)
				 }
			 }
		 }

Many thanks for your help,

Richard

Your welcome and you may want to consider making a signature listing your hardware in the machine so people will know what you have when trying to help, it saves us having to ask every time like now what is in it...

Disabler.kext.zip

Hey. Thanks for the quick response.

I realised that for my second OSx86 machine I used a different USB boot stick from first time round. I only noticed this when I looked in the Extra folder on the first machine. It didn't have a DSDT.aml file and the Boot.plist file was different.

Fortunately, I created a backup .dmg of this install stick .. and so restored it onto a spare USB stick and made it bootable, wiped the new machine and installed fresh.

Before installing any apps I downloaded and installed the NVEnabler_64.kext, restarted and voila! Worked straight away with QE/CI. I also used VoodooHDA for audio which worked fine.

Only thing not working now is a Belkin F5D7000 Wireless G card but to be honest I'll probably just buy something like the D-Link DWA-125 as I've read that getting wifi cards/USB dongles to work can be really tricky.

Thanks for your help.

I'll fill in my signature too :blowup:

Rich