[help] ATI 4870 - no shutdown/reset + random freezes

on!x

5 posts in this topic

Hi everybody

OS X 10.6.4 vanilla with graphic update and last chamaleon

I had a Sapphire ATI HD3850 512MB with two monitors connected (Samsung SM 206BW on DVI and Philips 170C on DVI-VGA adapter), this worked nicely with extended desktop but without QE/CL, and that was bad -_-

So, i decided to change my card with a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870 512, reading on the web that it has good support on os x..

In a couple of hours I had the new card working (had to replace a couple of kexts, i found the good ones somewhere on this forum), also with QE/CL, i have all my fancy effects on gadgets working, translucent bar and blah blah blah..

but, no dual monitor. the DVI one works fine, the VGA one does not receive any signal when the desktop appears, that's bad too. it's ugly to use protools on one monitor :(

Also, some applications I used to keep on the second monitor now just do not display on main monitor: i can see the window with exposè + alt tab, but when I try to select it, the window just happily moves outside the desktop.

any help/idea/solution? if you need more info just ask.

thanks

have a look here if not already http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1546946

good news: don't know why/how the hell it happened but now both monitors work :o

i disconnected them/reconnected one per time and swapped connections (vga on the first DVI, DVI on the second) and now it works :lol:

so, my solution is just: MESS UP those cables, then reboot and cross fingers ;)

ok, new set of problems now.

my system does no more shut down or reboot.. it just hangs at the light blue screen with the black thing spinning.

Also, sometimes it freezes randomly.. for example, i start skype, the icon keep bouncing, and stops, the dock freezes and the other applications too, one per time...

I experience that since I installed the new video card with relative kexts, so I guess there's something wrong with those...