[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on Dell Latitude D830 (Dual Boot Win7 Included)

gehrc

15 posts in this topic

As a foreword, I am simply a senior in High School with little experience in programming, so if you have any questions regarding Kexts or how all of this works in general, I advise you ask my friend Google :) This is my way of giving back to the OSx86 Project for all it's done.

Introduction

I have compiled this guide for all of you who, like I was, lost and confused when it came to installing Snow Leopard on my Dell Latitude D830. I originally had done this with iATKOS v1.0i, but I got frustrated with the later versions as they simply wouldn't work. However, after stumbling across this latest version, not only has it been extremely simple to set up, but also most components work without the addition of kexts after installation While this was at least the case on my laptop, please don't go into this with full expectation that this will be the same for you, as someone else could find something I missed. I've seen that some people have had issues with the same laptop on different graphics cards, so now I'll take you into MY laptop's specs.

My Specs

-Dell Latitude D830 Laptop (BIOS Rev. A15)

• 4GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM
  • 160GB Western Digital Black Hard Drive (AHCI)
  • nVidia Quadro NVS140m Mobile Graphics
  • Intel Mobile Chipset 965
  • Dell Wireless 1395 Module
  • Broadcom 5755m 10/100/1000 Ethernet
  • Dell Bluetooth Module
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz CPU

Disclaimer

Again, while this has worked for me, you may experience different results, either due to different hardware specs, or some other issue. Though damages are rare, I'm not liable for any damages caused by your following of this guide. Also, technically OSx86 will violate Apple's copyright laws, I encourage you to go out and buy a Mac, or a license for Snow Leopard, should you like the OS.

Materials

• Your laptop
  • iATKOS S3 v2 DVD (Google it)
  • Windows 7 DVD (If dual-booting)
  • EasyBCD (If dual-booting)

Preparations

Per the iATKOS' Readme, you should check the MD5 checksum of the iso BEFORE you burn it to a DVD to ensure the image isn't corrupted in any way. This is probably the most important step, so please do this before saying it didn't work for you.

Also, for those of you that are Video Production junkies like myself, you may need a bigger hard drive if you plan on installing any form of Final Cut on here, or even the Adobe Suite, as both take up a LARGE amount of space. Take this into consideration before beginning to install.

Now, if you're already running another OS on your laptop, you need to back up your data. All Data Will Be Lost During the Install! Most of you probably don't need to hear this, but I figured some people might need a reminder.

Once you've done these things, go ahead and burn the iATKOS DVD. I'd recommend you do it at a slower speed to ensure you've got a good burn.

While you're waiting, make sure you have your hard drive set to AHCI mode in the BIOS. I've seen some cases where it's not always needed, but I'm going to be following my set-up, so I'd recommend doing so.

Installation

Once you have burned your image, go ahead and pop the DVD into your laptop and boot from it. It may take a few minutes for the installer to load, so be patient. When the menu appears, select your language and wait another few minutes.

You should see the OSX Installer Window appear. Before proceeding, goto the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. On the left, you'll see any drives attached to the laptop. Find your hard drive and select it - don't select the individual partition. Click on the partition menu. Click on Options and change the tables to GUID and click OK (Windows 7 plays nicely with GUID, but other versions won't. This guide only helps with Windows 7, but I'll be willing to post other OS's if you figure them out). If you DO NOT plan on dual booting, select the 1 Partition Volume Scheme, enter a Label (MacOS is fine) and click Apply, and click okay on the next prompt. You may now skip the next paragraph. HOWEVER, if you DO want dual boot, follow the directions in the next paragraph.

Once you have changed your map scheme to GUID, choose the 2 Partitions Volume Scheme. You will notice two slices on the diagram to your left. The SL Installer automatically divides the space evenly amongst the partitions. The top partition is Partition 2 on the drive (Yes, the partition that APPEARS to be 1st is actually 2nd on the drive. SL creates a 1st Partition that you don't see that is about 200MB. Unless you're planning on using another bootloader, this doesn't really matter). And then the bottom slice is then the 3rd partition. I made the top slice my Windows partition. So, click on the slide and change the label to WINDOWS. Then change the type to MS-DOS (FAT). If you want to change it's size, do that here as well. Then choose the 2nd slice and change the name to MacOS and leave the partition type alone. If you changed the size of the Windows partition, the OSX partition has already been shrunk, but if you want more space for OSX, then increase it's size here. Click apply and then click OK on the next prompt to apply the changes.

Now, you may close out of Disk Utility and proceed with the installation. You should take a moment to look through the iATKOS readme, and then click the --> arrow. The next screen is where you choose which partition to install SL onto. The MacOS partition should already be selected for you, if not, then, select it. Now click Customize in the bottom left-hand corner.

Here is where we're going to specify the different drivers and patches we need to make Snow Leopard work on our machine. I am going to give you the choices that made my laptop work. Again, my specs may be different from yours, so your devices may be options listed in here or not. If they aren't listed, you'll probably need to find a kext for it.

Also, the D830 will require (from what I've experienced) 32-bit mode. Keep this in mind when choosing between 32 and 64-bit options.

So, in order:

• Bootloader - Uncheck the default option and choose PC_EFI v10.6 (*Chameleon R4 also works w/ GraphicsEnabled - Thanks calpha)
  • Bootloader Options - Check: 32-bit boot. (Optional: Quiet Boot and Legacy Logo are based on preference, and not necessary for a functioning system).
  • Patches - Uncheck: RTC. Check: RTC>RTC (32-bit), Sleep Enabler

Here is where options may need to differ based on laptop specs:

-Drivers

• Main Hardware: SATA/IDE>AHCI SATA, PS/2>Voodoo PS/2, CPU Power Management>Voodoo P-state, Laptop Hardware>Battery, Card Reader
  • VGA: nVidia>Enablers>Natit (Note: Should work on most nVidia graphics cards) (*Other users have found that not selecting this also works, and just leaving GraphicsEnabled checked has done it for them. Natit may also break Front Row, so this may be a better option. Thanks Nathan12 and calpha)
  • Network: Wireless>Broadcom (The Dell Wireless Cards all use Broadcom Chipsets, though you may want to check Google for your card), Wired>Broadcom>BCM5755M (32bit)

Leave the sound options alone, both are ok checked.

Now you can click Ok and begin the installation! The install itself should take roughly 20 minutes, but when it's done it will automatically reboot after 30 seconds. Once it reboots, you should be taken immediately into OSX! If you aren't going to dual-booting, you're done! I encourage you to check out the extras section if you wish, but if you do need to dual-boot, there's a few more steps you need to follow.

Windows

If you chose to dual-boot, next you'll need to install Windows. You should be able to handle this on your own, as most of my hardware worked out of box with that as well. You will need to reformat the Windows drive when setting it up though, just choose it and click format. It should show the Windows label on it. Then you'll be good to go. You won't have access to the OS X Partition until you follow the next set of instructions.

Bootloader

I went with Windows' Bootloader. Download EasyBCD and run it. You'll need to goto 'Add Entry', and then choose Mac OS X. Change the mode to MBR and click add. When you reboot, you should see the Mac OS X option appear. Now you should be dual-booting!

However, if you do get stuck at this step and are at the point of no return, you can always run the iATKOS installer again, use Disk Utility to format the MacOS partition, and the reinstall using the steps I provided. This will give you a boot loader with both options, although you may not want to use Quiet Boot if you'll be using this loader.

Extras

Get the standard 'Aurora' Wallpaper from Snow Leopard

You can easily find the original wallpaper for use in Snow Leopard if you don't like the included iATKOS wallpapers. Do a Google Images search for Snow Leopard DefaultDesktop and choose the highest quality version available. Open the full-sized image and drag it to your desktop. Make a copy of it, leaving one named DefaultDesktop.jpg and another named Aurora.jpg. Drag the file named DefaultDesktop.jpg to System>Library>Core Services and replace the copy found there. Drag Aurora.jpg to Library>Desktop Pictures>Nature and replace the Aurora.jpg file found here as well. Now you'll just need to go to System Preferences>Desktop & Screen Saver and choose another background, and then find the new SL Wallpaper to change it.

Random Hard Drive Clicks

If your hard drive makes a clicking noise at random intervals, use hdapm to correct the problem. Download and open the dmg and drag the hdapm file to your /usr/bin folder. If you want this to automatically run at startup, drag the hdapm.plist file to your desktop and open it in Textedit. Change the line where it shows the path to hdapm to /usr/bin/hdapm and save it. Then drag the plist file to /Library/LaunchDaemons and you'll be good to go! This utility put the hard drive in 'Max Performance' mode, so it has the potential to drain your battery a little quicker.

(Thanks to ricom2ger)

Troubleshooting

The only issue I ran into when installing was a Kernel Panic that occurred after the first reboot when I installed OSX. This occurred because I chose the 64-bit option for RTC when installing, and was fixed after I deselected this and chose the 32-bit option.

Most times, issues are caused by kexts. Try playing around with the options during installation to see if you can get it working.

You should always use the '-v' option when booting after a kernel panic to trace the issue. Post it here and hopefully you can be helped.

Acknowledgements

• The creators of iATKOS
  • Apple
  • The OSx86 Community

Working:

• Network (Wired and Wireless)
  • Display (nVidia Graphics)
  • Sleep (This has been a big issue in the past, and now even closing the lid will put the thing to sleep properly, though it takes a minute).
  • Audio
  • Touchpad and Keyboard
  • Bluetooth

Not working:

• Docking Station - Typically the touchpad will quit working if docked after turning on the laptop. Additionally, the video will not display if booting while docked. If you have a fix, please let me know.
  • Shutting Down/Rebooting - Every now and then this will work, and other times it won't. If you wait a few seconds after the display turns off you can safely turn off your laptop.
  • WiFi Light - Not a huge issue, but can be annoying to some.
  • Mouse Stick - The blue mouse stick in the middle of the keyboard does not work. The touchpad still works fine, but this may be problematic for those who like the mouse stick better.
  • Touchpad Scrolling - Again, not a huge issue, but scrolling using the touchpad does not work.

Enjoy your new Hackintosh!

Thank you for this guide. I used this several times today, and came away with a slightly different config than you have, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

I used the same iAtkos SE V2 disc, but, instead chose the following install options:

Chameleon R4, with GraphicsEnabled

DO NOT SELECT ANY NVIDIA DRIVERS (this will cause problems later)

I did not install the Sleep fix

This allowed me to install all the updates available, including 10.6.4 with the Graphics Update, and I still have QE/CI and everything. When I tried the method above, installing 10.6.4 jacked up my video. My second attempt installed the Natit drivers and Chameleon with GraphicsEnabled which worked until 10.6.4. Reading posts I learned that you use Natit OR GraphicsEnabled. Using just GraphicsEnabled has been perfect for me.

I'm running a Dell D830, Intel T7500, 4GB RAM, Broadcom Wired/Wireless, nVidia 140M @ 1680x1050, 500GB Momentus XT. Everything is working just as expected. The only thing that doesn't is Shutdown/Reboot, you have to manually shutdown the machine. I haven't tried sleep, but I don't usually sleep the laptop so that's not an issue for me. The wifi light also doesn't work, but since these have a manual switch, that works for me.

Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there for anyone else.

Nathan

• 4 weeks later...

Thank God for both of your posts. I have a near perfect D830 w/ updates now.

I went the first route with iAtkos and got a pretty decent install, but the graphics was very slow and external vga didn't work at all. Playing lowfi videos through itunes (like a SD 3 minute song video) event at half-res was horribly laggy. (NV135 here). I tried a couple of kext tweaks and kept causing other problems.

Then I found this post and went the route of no Chameleon w/ GraphicsEnabled no NVIDIA and what a revelation its been. External monitor enabled, and as far as I can tell, near perfect grx performance now.

Thanks guys to both of you -- makes me want to get another d830 off ebay :)

I've set my laptop now to never go asleep or hibernate --- so if we ever get a fix for the shutdown/reboot/ it'll be 100%.

For my .02 the only choice (having done both installs now) is to (credit to gehrc and nathan 12)

gehrc - main list

italics - nathan12 tweaks

So, in order:

Bootloader - Chameleon R4, with GraphicsEnabled

Bootloader Options - Check: 32-bit boot.

Patches - Uncheck: RTC. Check: RTC>RTC (32-bit)

Main Hardware: SATA/IDE>AHCI SATA,

PS/2>Voodoo PS/2,

CPU Power Management>Voodoo P-state,

Laptop Hardware>Battery, Card Reader

VGA: Do not select any nvidia drivers

Wireless: Broadcom

Wired: BCM5755

Leave the sound options alone, both are ok checked.

Use the OS to do both updates

• 2 weeks later...
Also, frontrow did not work with the iatkos nvidia drivers installed -- but it works great now with the graphicsenabled approach.

Thank you for all guides and helpers.

I had a same hardware but when SL finished loading and reboot, It went through an apple logo screen and a circle clock tickling. The screen turn black and there is a girl singing "Staying Alive" song of Bee Gee and nothing happen.

Please give me some advices how to fix this

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys all of you !

Also did iatkos S3 v2 install, specs:

Dell Latitude D830 (BIOS Rev. A14)

4GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM (strange, os x shows 800mz)

500GB HDD (AHCI)

nVidia Quadro NVS140m Mobile Graphics 256mb

BCM94312 (DW 1395)

Broadcom 5755m 10/100/1000 Ethernet

Dell Bluetooth Module 350

Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 2.0GHz CPU

As others have, same here: almost everything works, except

pcmcia not (expresscard instead works)

shutdown/restart/sleep not

Also tried Atheros AR5BXB72, ident 168C:0024 wireless card, unfortunately not working

Does anybody know how to make work AR5BXB72 on D830 ?

Any medicine yet for shutdown ? what about pcmcia drivers ?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for you guide for the D830. It was a lot of help.

I'm successfully running 10.6.5 with no problems except for one nagging problem - no touchpad scrolling.

I'm just curious - does everyone else running a D830 have support for either edge or two-finger touchpad scrolling? The lack of this is driving me nuts!

Thanks again

This is a very thorough, complete guide, and it obviously took a lot of careful work and documentation.

However, I'm confused as to why you'd want to use a hacked distro when you can install stock snow leopard to a D830 with minimal modifications?

This thread is short and gives detailed instructions:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187356

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, but I finally got a chance to update the guide. Thanks!

This is a very thorough, complete guide, and it obviously took a lot of careful work and documentation.

However, I'm confused as to why you'd want to use a hacked distro when you can install stock snow leopard to a D830 with minimal modifications?

This thread is short and gives detailed instructions:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187356

This is more for people who do not already have a MacBook, or who do not want to go through all of the steps and programming/compiling that goes into that guide. Using a hacked distro such as this doesn't require most of the work, but I still appreciate you posting that!

• 4 months later...

MANY THX for the guide. This allow mo to enter in hackintosh world! :P

In short.

- I started PC with Iatkos S3 V2 DVD (SL 10.6.3) and selected my language

- open DISK UTILITY and create 3 partition on my new Hard disk Seagate 500Gb (1 MacOS journaled + 2 FAT32). Initialize macos partition

- choose CUSTOM and select this option:

Bootloader - Chameleon R4, with GraphicsEnabled (unselect others)

Bootloader Options - Check: 32-bit boot.

Patches - Uncheck: RTC. Check: RTC>RTC (32-bit)

Main Hardware: SATA/IDE>AHCI SATA,

PS/2>Voodoo PS/2,

CPU Power Management>Voodoo P-state,

Laptop Hardware>Battery, Card Reader

VGA: Do not select any nvidia drivers

Wireless: None (i have an incompatible module :( Intel 4965AGN. however i use my notebook with wireless thx to this :D )

Wired: Broadcom

Confirm and proceed with installation until restart. REMOVE DISK when restart.. otherwise DVD SETUP restart again! :wacko:

After reboot create your account and select your preferences.

FIRST OF ALL: in PREFERENCES > energy saver uncheck all options and move timing to : NEVER. If notebook goes to standby you will have many noise (need restart with DVD Iatkos, launch TERMINAL and remove rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage)

Now.. if you want to update download MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.dmg and install it.

At the end DO NOT RESTART otherwise boot freeze at startup.

Download LEGACY KERNEL FOR 10.6.8 and install it.

Now can restart and have 10.6.8 UPDATE! :(

now i have only request. i try to launch FINAL CUT PRO X but seems not work with 32 bit. So ... there is a solution for this? I started PC pressing 6-4 keys but kernel remain at 32 bit.

Please help me. :unsure:

hi

how did u get the 10.6.8 working ???

I tried what u said and followed the installation along with the legacy kernel. but my D830 hangs at gray screen. when I did a verbose, I cudn't see any error or KP but its stuck at a message "Checking Catalog File" I guess thats where the disk is checked. nothing works even the keyboard !!!

let me know what the other Masters have done to make it work.

yes. it happen to me in one of many many test... :S

try to start with "-v -x" at boot

at startup in SECURE MODE use KEXT WIZARD for update the 10.6.7 version of

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

use KW to repair permission too, stop and reboot with crossfinger

• 2 weeks later...
yes. it happen to me in one of many many test... :S

try to start with "-v -x" at boot

at startup in SECURE MODE use KEXT WIZARD for update the 10.6.7 version of

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

use KW to repair permission too, stop and reboot with crossfinger

you mean I should start with -v -x before updating to 10.6.8 or after.

also I must use kext wizard after update ? cos after updating to 10.6.8 I am not able to access anything

please help or if there is a step by step guide kindly share

• 4 weeks later...