Dual-boot osx86 with XP

davidb2002

9 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Read alot of great guides on here about doing this, but one thing that I need help with is any particulars I need to consider in regards to my PC specs. I think im gonna download jAS and use the Acronis method (unless anyone can recommend a better method).

What else do I need to consider/install? any particular guide I should follow?

Specs:

- running XP Home SP3

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.2Ghx

- 2GB Ram

- ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series

- VIA SATA Raid

- jmicron controler

- Realtek HD Audio

- 250GB Maxtor Sata Drive

Thanks for any help!

I was thinking about either using the steps in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcqYfrIn914...feature=related

or the steps in this:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Simple_Dual_Boot

But just concerned that maybe some of my hardware isn't compatible. I am also using a USB keyboard and a PS/2 mouse. Are there any compatibility issues with any of my hardware that you guys can see?

...I am also using a USB keyboard and a PS/2 mouse. Are there any compatibility issues with any of my hardware that you guys can see?
Bad idea. Use either both PS/2 mouse/keyboard or (best option) both USB mouse/keyboard. Mixed solution will not work.

Look for the guide specifically for the AMD CPUs, as there are some pitfalls with AMDs. Also I'm not sure if the VGA card you use is supported.

Nice one. Looks like I have a Radeon 3650 HD. And that topic has a driver download. Woohoo! So, how exactly is this suppose to work? Do I simply go through an install of OSX86 then install the video driver? And will the card work enough to be able to go through the install?

Is there anything else I need to consider before I go thru with this? Will the dual boot guide work for my setup? It doesn't mention anything for/agaisnt AMD and none of the other dual boot guides mention anything about AMD either.

Do I ask too many questions? ;)

Right, so, I decided to go with the Youtube video version. I got a copy of Jas osx86 1.4.8 [amd -intel]. I selected to load it and got this. Any ideas on how to fix it? Maybe something to do with my motherboard?

IOATAController device blocking bus

AppleVIAATADriver: VIA UNKNOWN (CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x2f4, IRQ14, BM 0xfc00)

still waiting for root device

See attached file for system details.

DESKTOP.txt

• 2 weeks later...