Chameleon 2.0 + SnowLeopard + Fat32 + Extra folder

supergnu

3 posts in this topic

Hi!

I got a Win 7 / SnowLeopard 10.6.4 dualboot setup running on my T500 Laptop. SnowLeopard is Vanilla - with T500 custom kext drivers in the /Extra/extensions folder.

my harddisk is partitioned using MBR with this partition table:

*1: NTFS (100 MB - used by Win 7 to put bootloader and something for Bitlocker Encryption)

2. NTFS (windows installation)

3. NTFS (my documents)

4. HFS+ (SnowLeopard)

Chameleons boot1h is installed in the bootsector of the 4th partition and I start it through the Win 7 bootloader present on the first partition.

If i start "OS X" from the Win 7 bootmenu, i don't see the chameleon bootmenu, instead SnowLeopard boots directly (just saying something about Hybernate Image too old on black screen, then it boots) and everything WORKS PERFECT.

well now I wanted to change my partition 3 from NTFS to FAT32 so that I have a partition to which i can write both from OS X and Win 7

to my surprise the boot process changed now! If i chose "OS X" from my Win 7 bootloader, instead of directly booting into SnowLeopard i get presented the Chameleon bootscreen with three options:

1: System-Reserved (this is the 100 MB boot partion - the first one)

2: NTFS (this probably is partition nr 2)

3: SnowLeopard

if i chose SnowLeopard, SnowLeopard boots up - but this time it IGNORES ALL DRIVERS from the/Extra/Extensions folder. thus giving me no native resolution and my touchpad mouse isn't working either.

deleting and rebuilding the kext caches doesn't help!

if i change the FAT32 partition back to NTFS it will work again. But I want the Fat32 partition!

Anyone an Idea what goes wrong? does it have to do something with the partition UUID? because i saw in Disk Util that HFS and NTFS partitions do have a UUID, but a FAT32 partition doesn't have a UUID and somewhere I have read that loading the /Extra folder is somehow connected to uuid's.

Anyone an explanation?

Thanks!

Here's how to get read/write support for NTFS drives in Snow Leopard:

In Terminal, type diskutil info /Volumes/volume_name, where volume_name is the name of the NTFS volume. From the output, copy the Volume UUID value to the clipboard.

Back up /etc/fstab if you have it; it shouldn't be there in a default install.

Type sudo nano /etc/fstab.

In the editor, type UUID=, then paste the UUID number you copied from the clipboard. Type a Space, then type none ntfs rw. The final line should look like this: UUID=123-456-789 none ntfs rw, where 123-456-789 is the UUID you copied in the first step.

Repeat the above steps for any other NTFS drives/partitions you have.

Save the file and quit nano (Control-X, Y, Enter), then restart your system.

After rebooting, NTFS partitions should natively have read and write support. This works with both 32- and 64-bit kernels. Support is quite good and fast, and it even recognizes file attributes such as hidden files.

Here's how to get read/write support for NTFS drives in Snow Leopard:

In Terminal, type diskutil info /Volumes/volume_name, where volume_name is the name of the NTFS volume. From the output, copy the Volume UUID value to the clipboard.

Back up /etc/fstab if you have it; it shouldn't be there in a default install.

Type sudo nano /etc/fstab.

In the editor, type UUID=, then paste the UUID number you copied from the clipboard. Type a Space, then type none ntfs rw. The final line should look like this: UUID=123-456-789 none ntfs rw, where 123-456-789 is the UUID you copied in the first step.

Repeat the above steps for any other NTFS drives/partitions you have.

Save the file and quit nano (Control-X, Y, Enter), then restart your system.

After rebooting, NTFS partitions should natively have read and write support. This works with both 32- and 64-bit kernels. Support is quite good and fast, and it even recognizes file attributes such as hidden files.

Yes I know and did this, but I want Fat32 because NTFS support doesn't seem to be very good. If I use the NTFS drive under SnowLeopard, then snowleopard puts writeprotections on some folders which i cannot remove anymore under Windows 7 - this problem doesn't arise with Fat32.