Toshiba A505-S6992 (Got SL 10.6.3 Loaded)

SnoopKatt

2 posts in this topic

Hey,

I finally got it booting. I tried installing it Vanilla with the retail disc, but I just couldn't get it working. Instead, I finally found a distro that worked: iATKOS S3 v2. It installed successfully, but the boot loader keeps kernel panicking. When I use nawcom's boot CD though, I'm able to load it all up with almost everything working, except:

Audio (NVidia HD Audio, possibly Realtek HD Audio as well), but I get distorted audio through HDMI

Wifi (The card has no drivers)

Ethernet (Realtek Family FE Family, RTL8101, R1000 didn't work so far)

Booting without Boot disc

I googled around for a while, but I could not find any other info on my hardware. What would you guys recommend doing?

Thanks!

OLD POST:

Hey guys,

A while back, I did a retail install on my desktop PC (as seen in my signature). It took a while, but after a lot of help on the IRC channel (is it gone now?) it finally worked 100%. Now, I have a laptop, a Toshiba A505-S6992. While it's a sweet laptop, it's driving me crazy with trying to get this to even boot the install disc! The only disc that boots the retail install disc is the EasyEFI v2.0 and v2.2. The problem is that it's very, very slow at drawing each menu (each part literally takes about 3 minutes to load). If I try loading the Disk Utility, it will crash (not KP, but just get stuck), so I cannot use that disc. The others immediately kernel panic. I also tried SnowOSX 10.6.2, and a few other distros, and they all KP as well.

From what I'm gathering, it seems like it's very possible to get it going, but I'm probably going to need to make my own Boot-132 disc. From what I've gathered, my laptop has

ICH9 Chipset

Core 2 Duo E7450

Nvidia GT 230M 1GB

4GB DDR3 1066mhz

Synaptics Touchpad

Nvidia HD Audio

Realtek Wifi

Here's some more info on the laptop as well:

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/sa...A500/A505-S6992

Those all look like parts that are usable for Snow Leopard. I've set it up before, but I cannot for the life of me figure out the right kexts for a good boot loader. What would you guys recommend for the boot loader?

Thanks!