MacOSX Inside VMware Workstation

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

After I've successfully installed MacOSX Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on my HP Pavilion dv9000, I thought maybe I could install it on my desktop PC as well but inside VMware. I met some guy who has a Virtual Image running on his desktop PC (he also has Xcode and the iPhone SDK installed inside it, which is exactly what I need). He gave me everything needed to run MacOSX inside VMware but unfortunately that did not happen because I keep getting the following message:

A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state. This would have caused a physical machine to restart. This can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to restart the virtual machine or Cancel to power off the virtual machine.

I tried to boot into my MacOSX Installation DVD, it did the same thing that keeps happening inside VMWare: it displays "Loading Darwin x86" and then restarts automatically. Does that mean I cannot install MacOSX on my desktop PC?

My desktop PC specs:

* Case: TA-400

* M/B: DH55HC

* CPU: Intel Core i5 3.33GHz (Supports Hardware Virtualization Technology)

* RAM: DDR3-1333 4GB

* HDD: 500GB

* Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

* Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 ATA Device

* LAN: Intel 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection

* Monitor: LG LED E2040S 20"

* Keyboard: HID Keyboard Device

* Mouse: HID-compliant mouse

P.S: I'm running VMware Workstation 7.0.0 on Windows 7 x64. The Virtual Image is for Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

Note: I tried running the solution provided in this topic but with no luck.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Kassem

Hey guys,

After I've successfully installed MacOSX Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on my HP Pavilion dv9000, I thought maybe I could install it on my desktop PC as well but inside VMware. I met some guy who has a Virtual Image running on his desktop PC (he also has Xcode and the iPhone SDK installed inside it, which is exactly what I need). He gave me everything needed to run MacOSX inside VMware but unfortunately that did not happen because I keep getting the following message:

I tried to boot into my MacOSX Installation DVD, it did the same thing that keeps happening inside VMWare: it displays "Loading Darwin x86" and then restarts automatically. Does that mean I cannot install MacOSX on my desktop PC?

My desktop PC specs:

* Case: TA-400

* M/B: DH55HC

* CPU: Intel Core i5 3.33GHz (Supports Hardware Virtualization Technology)

* RAM: DDR3-1333 4GB

* HDD: 500GB

* Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

* Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 ATA Device

* LAN: Intel 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection

* Monitor: LG LED E2040S 20"

* Keyboard: HID Keyboard Device

* Mouse: HID-compliant mouse

P.S: I'm running VMware Workstation 7.0.0 on Windows 7 x64. The Virtual Image is for Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

Note: I tried running the solution provided in this topic but with no luck.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Kassem

Kassem,

Looking at your hardware spec cannot see any reason OS X should not run under VMware Workstation, some pointers and requirements:

First make sure VT-x is turned on in BIOS otherwise Albert's "Unlocker" is not going to work. Second you must have a retail version of OS X, not one you have downloaded for a Hackintosh. We also need attachments of your vmx file and vmware log file so we can diagnose your issues.

Also I would re-install VM Workstation with the latest version 7.1.2, or at least 7.1.1 to offer maximum support, but you must re-run the "Unlocker" after a new install or an upgrade.

Hey Mac Son of Knife, thanks for the reply...

First make sure VT-x is turned on in BIOS otherwise Albert's "Unlocker" is not going to work.

I double checked that. It is Enabled.

Second you must have a retail version of OS X, not one you have downloaded for a Hackintosh.

I cannot be 100% sure about this because I've got the image from my friend as is. The image is only 26MB which is kinda odd... but it's fully working on his machine though. He has a Core i7 CPU on his desktop. But anyway, I'm going to the local DVD store in 15 minutes and hopefully I can find the latest version of VMware Workstation and a retail version of MacOSX.

We also need attachments of your vmx file and vmware log file so we can diagnose your issues.

Could you please point to where these might be located? I'm a total noob with VMware...

Thanks for the support :(

Ok now I've got VMWare 7.1.2 but I'm having trouble uninstalling version 7.0.0 Whenever I try to remove it from the Add/Remove Programs, I get the following error:

Any suggestions?

I was going to say you do not need Workstation 7.1.2, VMware Player 3.1.2 will do the same job and it is free and you can download it directly from the VMware site, but if you have Workstation 7.1.2 you should have a 580MB plus file "VMware-workstation-full-7.1.2-301548.exe" if you just run the exe it will uninstall 7.0.0 as part of the installation process.

Once you have Workstation or Player up and running, and you have your retail OS X DVD, can only be purchased from an Apple Store or Apple on-line, but only £29.00, €35.00, $39.00 a worthwhile investment. Then use Albert's "Unlocker" to enable OS X support in VMware, follow the instructions in that topic and it should be plain sailing.

Link below to Albert's "Unlocker" topic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1485873

Also if your Retail OS X DVD is 10.6.3 you will need to have a look at the following topic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1551966

If you use Albert's "Unlocker" then post any problems in that topic, likewise if you get the CPU disabled error due to OS X 10.6.3 post in the relevant topic, we monitor both topics, I will also keep any eye on this topic.

Ok I successfully installed VMWare workstation 7.1.2 but still I keep getting the same message... I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with my BIOS or hardware, cuz just like I mentioned before, even when I use the MacOSX installation DVD to boot, it gives me the "Loading Darwin x86" and then restarts... Anyway, I'll attach the files you asked for, I'd appreciate it if you would take a look and try to find the problem...

files.zip

Ok I successfully installed VMWare workstation 7.1.2 but still I keep getting the same message... I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with my BIOS or hardware, cuz just like I mentioned before, even when I use the MacOSX installation DVD to boot, it gives me the "Loading Darwin x86" and then restarts... Anyway, I'll attach the files you asked for, I'd appreciate it if you would take a look and try to find the problem...

I am still not sure you have a genuine retail copy of OSX, all the references to experimental and the iso does not look like the real thing, go to an Apple Store or Apple on-line and get the real thing, a shiny retail DVD of OS X Snow Leopard. Did you install Albert's "Unlocker", also I would go with guestOS = "darwin10-64" tends to work better. Plus your VMX implies you are not running Windows the top line should read .encoding = "windows-1252". Something is not quite right, need to understand your exact configuration or I cannot help, I do have a day job, so this is part time.

Sorry for the late reply... been very busy lately...

Anyway, I tried almost everything! There has to be something wrong with my BIOS. Maybe I could patch my BIOS or something?

Not a problem, we all have lives outside this forum. As I said in my last post, I need to understand where you are, your processor should support VT-x and so need to check you are running the latest firmware for your mother board, see link below for a program that will check if your system is compatibile.

http://www.grc.com/securable.htm

Also make sure you are running the latest version of VMware Workstation 7.1.2 or Player 3.1.2 and that you have installed Albert's "Unlocker". Also ensure you have a retail DVD of OS X, purchased from Apple, once all these pre-requisites have been met we can make some progress.

Sorry for the late reply... been very busy lately...

Anyway, I tried almost everything! There has to be something wrong with my BIOS. Maybe I could patch my BIOS or something?

That is also not a retail copy of Snow Leopard but some hacked ISO from a torrent. We can't support those as we have no idea what is going on with it. I also think the VMX file has come from an early Fusion release and again is not optimal. Follow MSoK advice and may be possible to get this working.