ioregexplorer can't find my audio chip :-(

kt6uk

3 posts in this topic

I built a very nice fully working hackintosh a while back and it's great - had to patch the dsdt, but got there in the end. See sig below. Learnt a lot about Mac's and hacking :-)

Now trying to build a new better Hackintosh on a asus P5Q MB with Q6600 CPU and 8800GT video.

I'm nearly there, everything works but the sound - ioregexplorer can't find my audio chip.

A few more details - I have the 2002 Juzzi bios dated 03/04/2009. I'm triple booting XP, Ubuntu and SL 10.6.4

The audio works fine in XP and Ubuntu - the chip gets reported as an ALC888 (not ALC1200 as per the MB spec). So I guess the patched BIOS is ok.

I've extracted the DSDT while in Ubuntu and de-compiled it - no obvious sign of HDEF.

On my original working Hackintosh the HDEF shows under AppleACPIPCI as HDEF@1B - no sign of anything like that on the new machine.

I'm running Chameleon RC3 fully installed but suspect it might be ignoring my patched DSDT - but should IOregexplorer find the HDEF chip with or without a patched DSDT ?

In Extra/ extensions I have the following:

UUID.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

NullCPUPowermanegement.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorage Injector.kext

fakesmc.kext

ATAPortinjector.kext

AHCIPortinjector.kext

What am I missing here to get the audio chip recognized and operating ?

Do I need to do anything to make sure Chameleon takes notice of my patched DSDT ?

BTW - posting this from my nearly perfect new Hackintosh :-)

Thanks again guys (I hope)

I built a very nice fully working hackintosh a while back and it's great - had to patch the dsdt, but got there in the end. See sig below. Learnt a lot about Mac's and hacking :-)

Now trying to build a new better Hackintosh on a asus P5Q MB with Q6600 CPU and 8800GT video.

I'm nearly there, everything works but the sound - ioregexplorer can't find my audio chip.

A few more details - I have the 2002 Juzzi bios dated 03/04/2009. I'm triple booting XP, Ubuntu and SL 10.6.4

The audio works fine in XP and Ubuntu - the chip gets reported as an ALC888 (not ALC1200 as per the MB spec). So I guess the patched BIOS is ok.

I've extracted the DSDT while in Ubuntu and de-compiled it - no obvious sign of HDEF.

On my original working Hackintosh the HDEF shows under AppleACPIPCI as HDEF@1B - no sign of anything like that on the new machine.

I'm running Chameleon RC3 fully installed but suspect it might be ignoring my patched DSDT - but should IOregexplorer find the HDEF chip with or without a patched DSDT ?

In Extra/ extensions I have the following:

UUID.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

NullCPUPowermanegement.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorage Injector.kext

fakesmc.kext

ATAPortinjector.kext

AHCIPortinjector.kext

What am I missing here to get the audio chip recognized and operating ?

Do I need to do anything to make sure Chameleon takes notice of my patched DSDT ?

BTW - posting this from my nearly perfect new Hackintosh :-)

Thanks again guys (I hope)

Often there is no HDEF (Or AZAL or anything!) in the original DSDT, but you can add it. For instance, there is no such section in my DSDT but you simply need to find the right audio address and add it in there.

E.g. for mine, the address can be found by opening up Terminal, typing ioreg and looking for the audio device.

Such as:

| | +-o IOUSBInterface@3 <class IOUSBInterface, id 0x100000297, !r$

| | +-o HDEF@1B <class IOPCIDevice, id 0x1000001ce, registered, matched,$

| | | +-o AppleHDAController@1B <class AppleHDAController, id 0x1000002d$

| | | +-o IOHDACodecDevice@1B,0 <class IOHDACodecDevice, id 0x1000002d$

| | | +-o IOHDACodecDriver <class IOHDACodecDriver, id 0x1000002d8, $

| | | +-o IOHDACodecFunction@1B,0,1 <class IOHDACodecFunction, id $

| | | +-o AppleHDACodecGeneric <class AppleHDACodecGeneric, id 0$

| | | +-o AppleHDADriver <class AppleHDADriver, id 0x100000302$

| | | +-o AppleHDAEngineOutput@1B,0,1,1 <class AppleHDAEngin$

| | | | +-o AppleHDAStream <class AppleHDAStream, id 0x10000$

| | | | +-o IOAudioSelectorControl <class IOAudioSelectorCon$

| | | | | +-o IOAudioControlUserClient <class IOAudioControl$

| | | | +-o IOAudioLevelControl <class IOAudioLevelControl, $

All the indications in bold above show that the audio is located at " Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)" - which is usually the case anyway.

You can then start to patch your DSDT accordingly. For instance, in my particular case I put in the following code:

Device (HDEF)
	{
		Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
		Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
		{
			0x15, 
			0x05
		})
		Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
		{
			Store (Package (0x08)
				{
					"codec-id", 
					Buffer (0x04)
					{
						0x57, 0x61, 0x1D, 0x11
					}, 

"layout-id", 
					Buffer (0x04)
					{
						0x37, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
					}, 

"device-type", 
					Buffer (0x0F)
					{
						"IDT 92HD81B1X5"
					}, 

}, Local0)
			DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
			Return (Local0)
		}
	}

Obviously this also has to be used in co-operation with a patched AppleHDA.kext (there are lots of posts out there that discuss that).

But before doing all of that stuff, have you tried VoodooHDA? That in most cases solves your worries automatically!

Hi Minihack - thanks for your tips and guidance.

As it turns out I've made s little bit of progress under my own steam which correlates pretty well with your comments.

So i generated a DSDT.aml under Ubuntu and implanted it into /extras and then / - same result, no audio detected.

So I deleted it then ran dsdt patcher in OSX which generated a patched DSDT.aml which is significantly different to the one from Ubuntu.

I put this patched DSDT.aml into / and inserted an AppleHDA.kext which seemed like the right one.

Hey presto ioregexplorer finds the HW and the sound works - sort off.

So I figure the reason why IOregexplorer could find the audio chip was because it was missing from the DSDT.aml.

The sound is a bit quiet and distorted but at least there is sound.

Tried quite a few different Apple HDA.kext's - all have the same problem, distorted audio.

I think I'm going to try and fine tune the DSDT.aml for my particular set up.

I'll give VoodooHDA a try - I did look for it last night, but couldn't an exact match for my chip and 10.6.4 - maybe I was being too picky and a vanilla VoodooHDA would be fine.

Stay tuned.