How to overcome HFS+ partition error...

brianbwlim

8 posts in this topic

For some cases, OS X bootloader stops with message " HFS+ partition error", even though you followd all the steps correctly for

Instaling and/or Partition resizing.

It may be the case only for my PC, but I found the reason.

My OS X partition was rdisk0s2 and the starting sector was odd number.

Simply I had a doubt about OS X bootlader.

Maybe, it can not load correctly for partition starting from odd numbered sector.

I re-partitioned OS X partition to have even numbered starting sector.

And all the problems disappeared.

-----

OS X partition - odd numbered starting sector :

If I make it as startup disk(i.e. active partition) then boot fails with the above message.

But still I can load that partition with NT loader(WinGrub and/or Chain0)

-----

• 3 weeks later...

wow... i was browsing in general then i read someone suggesting to look for HFS+ partition error's solution in "FAILURES" section here. and after some pages i come to see this.

after 4-5hours of wrestiong i finally hav installed it to hard disk and get this HFS error on boot. jesus christ .. someone give me solution to solve.

just for info. i did diskpart way of making 6.6 gb of af partition and used dd win to copy tigerx86-flat.img file on this hard disk.. with succes but booting gives the HFS error.

I re-partitioned OS X partition to have even numbered starting sector.

And all the problems disappeared.

-----

OS X partition - odd numbered starting sector :

If I make it as startup disk(i.e. active partition) then boot fails with the above message.

But still I can load that partition with NT loader(WinGrub and/or Chain0)

-----

how does one do with using diskpart in win? i only got acces to winxp and ubuntu live cd. what command and wht app to use to do this?

ok on futher digging into this forum i found this post

-----------------------

Sep 1 2005, 06:36 AM

Post #3

Hi xldie,

try this solution:

1. use DD to extract the Image: dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=\\.\Volume{c18588c0-02e9-11d8-853f-00902758442b} bs=32256 skip=1

but replace the volume string ( in the format \\.\Volume{c18588c0-02e9-11d8-853f-00902758442b} ) with the one of your hard drive.

2. Reboot the System and you will get an HFS+ partition error (thats normal!!!)

3. use Ptedit (Partition Table Editor from Powerquest and its FREE) or another Program to change the PatitionTYP to AF, sometimes you must also change the Boottype to 80 for Bootable

4. Reboot and Darwin will boot

Hope this help some of you

---------------------------------

Now lets see. :\

-----------------------

Post #3

Hi xldie,

try this solution:

1. use DD to extract the Image: dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=\\.\Volume{c18588c0-02e9-11d8-853f-00902758442b} bs=32256 skip=1

but replace the volume string ( in the format \\.\Volume{c18588c0-02e9-11d8-853f-00902758442b} ) with the one of your hard drive.

3. use Ptedit (Partition Table Editor from Powerquest and its FREE) or another Program to change the PatitionTYP to AF, sometimes you must also change the Boottype to 80 for Bootable

-----------------------

Post #3

Hi xldie,

try this solution:

I had windows xp and mac one the same hard drive. I could boot both just fine then I install Vista over the XP partition and now i get hfs+ Partition error, and the only way to boot into mac is to put in the DEV DVD and boot using rd=disk0s2. plus no way to get Vista to boot the mac partition using the c:\chain0="Mac OS X X86" like in xp it won't eve show up. I tried resizing, reinstalling it on the first partition but nothing worked any idea?

I had windows xp and mac one the same hard drive. I could boot both just fine then I install Vista over the XP partition and now i get hfs+ Partition error, and the only way to boot into mac is to put in the DEV DVD and boot using rd=disk0s2. plus no way to get Vista to boot the mac partition using the c:\chain0="Mac OS X X86" like in xp it won't eve show up. I tried resizing, reinstalling it on the first partition but nothing worked any idea?

May for my PC only, but just for information!

I had XP Vista OSX.

Vista use new bootloader and that can not load OSX.

I use XP bootloader to get into OSX.

Also note that XP bootlodaer can not load Vista.

The steps are:

First use Vista bootloader to select XP bootloader.

Then with XP bootloader select OSX.

• 1 year later...