Snow Leopard Vanilla 10.6.3 on Dell Studio 540

Jasonkruser

2 posts in this topic

Excuse me this is my 1st Install Tutorial.

First of all this is for people who DO NOT have access to a Snow Leopard Install Disc or a different tutorial doesn't work!

This is for Dell Studio 540's ONLY or with similar hardware.

[specs]

Dell Studio 540

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33ghz

8 GB RAM

720 GB HD

Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT

Built in Wifi

Realtek Ethernet(RealTek r1000)

First you need to get the "iATKOS s3 v2" dvd, and then burn it with ImgBurn with the slowest available burn option. I cannot tell you where but google is your friend!

Do not insert the DVD just yet!

There is a problem with the loaded kext on the DVD to interface with your USB ports, so before you boot, unplug all your USB peripherals and put them in the front, mine has only 2 so that's perfect for your USB Keyboard & Mouse.

Now your keyboard and mouse should be the only peripherals on the front unless you got a USB hub, all USB ports elsewhere will not work in the back or anywhere else because of the faulty or outdated kext. But don't worry we will install kexts which allows all the USB ports to work.

So boot your iATKOS s3 v2 DVD with flags:" -v cpus=1"

Format your partition or HD whichever to your choosing, GUID of course.

Select your hard-disk or partition and click customize,

iATKOS gave us a generous list of available drivers here is a link to it:

post-36318-1284234772_thumb.png

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/228/install13simkard.png

So select these options:

Bootloader: Chamelon v2 RC4

Bootloader Options: 32 Bit Boot, Ethernet (to read about the 32bit mode scroll down to read the last lines of this tutorial)

Patches: /Extra, FakeSMC, Disabler

Main Hardware: Intel SATA/IDE

Sound: VoodooHDA(both AppleHDA and VoodooHDA are selected by default)

CPUS=1 Fix ( For 4 working cores and for some reason I cannot find this on the image I linked above ), but it is on the Install DVD

Don't worry about the Ethernet driver and Wireless, they are already included in the Snow Leopard Installation

Let Snow Leopard Install...

Reboot without any boot flags, Watch Snow Leopard Install Video, Setup Snow Leopard

Now we need to get your back USB ports working

While in Snow Leopard download or run: Kext Helper b7 ( snow leopard edition) and install these kexts (IOUSBFamily & IOPCIFamily, SOURCE: kexts.com).

Kext Helper b7: http://www.mediafire.com/?s5qs7q373ujitg6

IOUSBFamily & IOPCIFamily: http://www.mediafire.com/?6uklgjpgj6ta9f1

When you install both kexts, you might see a slight temporary performance hit, after you install both, click on the apple and click restart.

Install your respective Nvidia/ATI video card driver.

Reboot and you have a perfect Vanilla Snow Leopard Installation with ALL USB ports working and ALL 4 working cores!

Enjoi!

As far as I know, I don't know if anybody made a tutorial like this...

WARNING: the CPUS=1 fix incorrectly identifies your CPU as an Intel Xeon, you can change this however I believe.

WARNING: if your graphics card is outdated as mine is, x64 boot is not available to you(but your computer functions with all memory 4gb+ as mine is 32 bit but addresses 8gb memory) if you have a newer video card with x64 support you can boot into FULL 64 bit. (if you want to boot in x64 at your own risk, the boot flag is is: arch=x86_64 with the chamelon v2 rc4 bootloader I chose in the tutorial, if you chose PC_EFI i believe it's -x64).

Thanks to iATKOS for the great distro and all involved in the project.

~ Jason Kruser

• 10 months later...
Excuse me this is my 1st Install Tutorial.

First of all this is for people who DO NOT have access to a Snow Leopard Install Disc or a different tutorial doesn't work!

This is for Dell Studio 540's ONLY or with similar hardware.

[specs]

Dell Studio 540

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33ghz

8 GB RAM

720 GB HD

Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT

Built in Wifi

Realtek Ethernet(RealTek r1000)

First you need to get the "iATKOS s3 v2" dvd, and then burn it with ImgBurn with the slowest available burn option. I cannot tell you where but google is your friend!

Do not insert the DVD just yet!

There is a problem with the loaded kext on the DVD to interface with your USB ports, so before you boot, unplug all your USB peripherals and put them in the front, mine has only 2 so that's perfect for your USB Keyboard & Mouse.

Now your keyboard and mouse should be the only peripherals on the front unless you got a USB hub, all USB ports elsewhere will not work in the back or anywhere else because of the faulty or outdated kext. But don't worry we will install kexts which allows all the USB ports to work.

So boot your iATKOS s3 v2 DVD with flags:" -v cpus=1"

Format your partition or HD whichever to your choosing, GUID of course.

Select your hard-disk or partition and click customize,

iATKOS gave us a generous list of available drivers here is a link to it:

post-36318-1284234772_thumb.png

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/228/install13simkard.png

So select these options:

Bootloader: Chamelon v2 RC4

Bootloader Options: 32 Bit Boot, Ethernet (to read about the 32bit mode scroll down to read the last lines of this tutorial)

Patches: /Extra, FakeSMC, Disabler

Main Hardware: Intel SATA/IDE

Sound: VoodooHDA(both AppleHDA and VoodooHDA are selected by default)

CPUS=1 Fix ( For 4 working cores and for some reason I cannot find this on the image I linked above ), but it is on the Install DVD

Don't worry about the Ethernet driver and Wireless, they are already included in the Snow Leopard Installation

Let Snow Leopard Install...

Reboot without any boot flags, Watch Snow Leopard Install Video, Setup Snow Leopard

Now we need to get your back USB ports working

While in Snow Leopard download or run: Kext Helper b7 ( snow leopard edition) and install these kexts (IOUSBFamily & IOPCIFamily, SOURCE: kexts.com).

Kext Helper b7: http://www.mediafire.com/?s5qs7q373ujitg6

IOUSBFamily & IOPCIFamily: http://www.mediafire.com/?6uklgjpgj6ta9f1

When you install both kexts, you might see a slight temporary performance hit, after you install both, click on the apple and click restart.

Install your respective Nvidia/ATI video card driver.

Reboot and you have a perfect Vanilla Snow Leopard Installation with ALL USB ports working and ALL 4 working cores!

Enjoi!

As far as I know, I don't know if anybody made a tutorial like this...

WARNING: the CPUS=1 fix incorrectly identifies your CPU as an Intel Xeon, you can change this however I believe.

WARNING: if your graphics card is outdated as mine is, x64 boot is not available to you(but your computer functions with all memory 4gb+ as mine is 32 bit but addresses 8gb memory) if you have a newer video card with x64 support you can boot into FULL 64 bit. (if you want to boot in x64 at your own risk, the boot flag is is: arch=x86_64 with the chamelon v2 rc4 bootloader I chose in the tutorial, if you chose PC_EFI i believe it's -x64).

Thanks to iATKOS for the great distro and all involved in the project.

~ Jason Kruser

Thanks for taking time to write this up. I have similar system, but getting install fail. Don't see the CPUS=1 fix in the options either. Also, what about the RTC option?