Hang on Boot!

TheQuantumByte

43 posts in this topic

A little help please...

When my Dell boots, after the "Loading Darwin/x86" screen i get the gray Apple logo screen, and then i get the boot sequence blue screen that says "Starting Mac OS X", and then it hangs at the first progress bar.

Thanks in advance

Edit:

Now after a few reboots and force shut downs...that doesnt happen. Now the problem is on the apple logo splash screen...the dialog "you need to restart your computer. hold down the power button for several seconds" turns up in four languages. i cant get past this now. PLEASE HELP!

a little more information would be nice :D

what have you done?

maybe put a new kext in extensions?

which version of os x did you take (10.4.6.? JaS-patched? an original mac image for ppc you found somewhere?)

this message "please reboot.." shows usually up after an kernel-panic (hope its called like that in english). or : i had the same problem after installing AGPGart.kext (cause i didnt change the IOAudioFamily.kext [guess that s what its called])

a little more information would be nice :D

what have you done?

maybe put a new kext in extensions?

which version of os x did you take (10.4.6.? JaS-patched? an original mac image for ppc you found somewhere?)

this message "please reboot.." shows usually up after an kernel-panic (hope its called like that in english). or : i had the same problem after installing AGPGart.kext (cause i didnt change the IOAudioFamily.kext [guess that s what its called])

i installed 10.4.6 from an osx86 install dvd i bought. i heard it is due to a kernel panic..but how to solve?

Hey just a quick question, is your PC completelly shut down? I am asking you this because the first time I installed OSx86 I had the same error and that was the problem. I had my pc on hibernate, and when it booted it when straight to the dvd install boot and gave me that exact error. Check on that, just to make sure.

i installed 10.4.6 from an osx86 install dvd i bought. i heard it is due to a kernel panic..but how to solve?

Right before clicking the "Install" button, you clicked on "Customize". What packages did you install?

And what are the stats on your computer: processor, etc

Right before clicking the "Install" button, you clicked on "Customize". What packages did you install?

And what are the stats on your computer: processor, etc

i didnt click customise

dell 1.66 ghz core duo 512mb ram

i didnt click customise

There is your problem. Reinstall, click customize and select packages that pertain to your computer. Determine if your computer is SSE2 or SSE3 and select the correct one, not both.

Core Duo should be SSE3

There is your problem. Reinstall, click customize and select packages that pertain to your computer. Determine if your computer is SSE2 or SSE3 and select the correct one, not both.

Core Duo should be SSE3

pertain? so which should i install if its sse3? im sorry..im quite new

Some are for AMD, some are for Intel. You would choose Intel. Some are for both. You'll see when you do it. But since you are SSE3, choose that and not SSE2.

i also tried it on a different computer...an ibm thinkpad t40 @ 1.5 Ghz. the problem with THAT one is on the splash screen, the progress "circle" works fine...but then after a long wait i get a stop sign (image attached)

post-46860-1154446755_thumb.jpg

i also tried it on a different computer...an ibm thinkpad t40 @ 1.5 Ghz. the problem with THAT one is on the splash screen, the progress "circle" works fine...but then after a long wait i get a stop sign (image attached)

If you didn't choose Customize, you must do that and select packages. Give it a try.

If you didn't choose Customize, you must do that and select packages. Give it a try.

i'll try that..

some bkgrnd info: i didnt use any patches..i bought this dvd (picture attached) from a digital fair for 10.4.6...but apparently its not 10.4.6, but the installer is actually 10.4.4. it boots from the cd, into a darwin/x86 screen, then straight into the aqua interface, and straight into the installer. everything works fine until the restart.

post-46860-1154447748_thumb.jpg

hey please help...i selecteed customise and which packages should i choose? i checked the intel sse3 one and the 10.4.6 combo update. is that it?

That should work

!!!! it doesnt!! exactly the same problem--the kernel panic on the splash screen. helP!

Boot into OSX. When the screen turns black, even before the "Loading Darwin/x86" message appears, start tapping the F8 key until you get a prompt. Type -v and hit enter. Then look for what errors are displayed before it panics.

Boot into OSX. When the screen turns black, even before the "Loading Darwin/x86" message appears, start tapping the F8 key until you get a prompt. Type -v and hit enter. Then look for what errors are displayed before it panics.

Started CPU 01

panic(cpu 1 caller 0x00371755): ACPI: Acpi0sFree

Debugger called: <panic>

----and then down below----

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 8.4.1: Tue Jan 3 18:23:53 PST 2006; ROOT:XNU-792.7.90.OBJ~1/RELEASE_I386

----???----------

Lots of stuff!!! i dont even know..

EDIT:

waitt! after all that code...it boots into the blue screen with the os x black cursor and spinning beach ball

EDIT 2:

OMG!!!! i get the tiger welcome screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omG!!

HEY!!! I BOOTED INTO TIGER!!!!!!!!

OMG I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

but a little question...do i have to do that everytime i boot up? the cpu-1 -v thing?

No.

In OSX, go to the Go menu and select Utilities. Find Terminal and double-click it.

You need to edit your boot.plist file:

In Terminal, type:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

then add these lines below the others like it:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1</string>

save, exit and reboot

No.

In OSX, go to the Go menu and select Utilities. Find Terminal and double-click it.

You need to edit your boot.plist file:

In Terminal, type:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

then add these lines below the others like it:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1</string>

save, exit and reboot

wait do i press enter after "sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist"?

it asks for a password if i do

yes, give it the password you setup

im sorry im quite hopeless at terminal...after i type that under how do i save?