Which would run faster? My G4 iBook or my Dell Dimension 8300?

5 posts in this topic

A 800 MHz G4 iBook with 640 MB of RAM running Mac OS X 10.4.7.

vs.

A Dell Dimension 8300 3 GHz Pentium 4 HT with 1 GB of RAM running VMWare Workstation 5.0 with Mac OS X86 10.4.6

I've only begun installing on the Dell this morning. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to buy more RAM for the Dell or just save up and buy a Mac Mini. Also, will my iBook be faster than OS X86 on the Dell, if so, I wouldn't bother upgrading anything on the Dell.

I own a Dell 8300 with a 2.6GHz northwood and 1GB RAM with JaS 10.4.6 installed native and it runs fast even without a compatible video card for 3D acceleration and only SSE2 CPU, I get Xbench scores of 55-60. I have plenty of RAM but you did not mention what video card you have.

I own a Dell 8300 with a 2.6GHz northwood and 1GB RAM with JaS 10.4.6 installed native and it runs fast even without a compatible video card for 3D acceleration and only SSE2 CPU, I get Xbench scores of 55-60. I have plenty of RAM but you did not mention what video card you have.

I think I have an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800.

You will get video support QE/CI/GL with AIW 9800 but you won't have video capture support. You will get some mouse tearing with the 9800 but there are some fixes for it here.

You will get better speeds if you run it native vs VMWare. I have never run OSX in VMWare but I do know that emulation will be slower then native.

When you have it running in VMWare or native run Xbench it will give you a comparison between your two systems.