Is it possible to hackintosh my system?

makecoldplayhistory

5 posts in this topic

I've looked all over the forum and internet but can't find an answer.

I've a spare hard drive (so there's no chance of messing up my Win7 installation).

My specs are:

AMD Phenom II 965 BE

ASUS Crosshair Formula III

Mushkin Blackline DDR3 (4x2Gb)

SATA Hard drive

NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT

Last night I tried to follow a guide to install Snow Leopard via a USB. I used a friends Mac, but the DVD couldn't be read - I don't know if it's a bad DVD. I was able to 'restore' my USB as a journaled drive, but couldn't read the DVD. It would be spat back out after a minute of being in the drive.

Can I hackintosh (is it a verb?) my system?

What OS can I use?

I don't have a multi-layer DVD burner and don't have access to a Mac for a couple of weeks. Are any of the OSs able to be installed using a USB and without access to a Mac?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Mike:

You could do little more to start with more un-suited Hardware. Your going to have to do lot's more searching

(especially about AMD & Asus).

I can let you know Sata H/D Ram & GFx card should not be a problem. The Mobo it's Bios & Processor could be more

difficult. You will have to look at what chipset/s your board has & search if it is common with & has worked on any

other board. There are some people using or trying to use AMD's, so search them.

I won't say it cant be done but sure it is not going to be easy or quick. It depend's on your computer skill &/or how

much you're willing to learn.. Do you know basics ie FakeSMC, DSDT, kext's, Chameleon, EFI, what they are & how they work ?? If not some research would not hurt. Using the "InsanlyMac Firefox" pluggin can yield better search

results than the above Search bar.

We generally suggest going for the latest Apple Retail/Update OS version disk but that will depend upon what your

extended research turns up. I'm not sure what you mean by "couldn't read the DVD", this should be easy on a Mac.

(also note you do not need D/L DVD or D/L Disk).

Also there are many USB Guide's throughout the forum however you need Support bit's for your hardware & know how to add them to your USB first.

This would have to be a labour of love you could invest many(100's) of hrs all up & still fail. On the other hand if you

succeed you could find yourself posting a Guide for others who may have your Mobo/ Processor combo :)

Thanks a lot.

Pity about the hardware issues.

I know my way around a PC reasonably well. Including editing the registry and the BIOS. I'm a keen overclocker, and now I've got my system as quick as possible, it'd be good to mess around with it some more.

I'm not using a retail DVD. I guess there might be an issue with the burn.

The chipset on my mobo is AMD 790FX. It's an awesome overclocking board, Full of BIOS features... just have to do some research re the chipset.

Do you know basics ie FakeSMC, DSDT, kext's, Chameleon, EFI, what they are & how they work ?? If not some research would not hurt.

I tried using Chameleon yesterday... didn't work. I don't know anything else you mentioned, let alone how they work, what they do. Time to do some reading :)

I know my way around a PC reasonably well. Including editing the registry and the BIOS. I'm a keen overclocker, and now I've got my system as quick as possible, it'd be good to mess around with it some more.

That is always a major advantage, as it is if you have previous experience of *nix and the command line.

Although, don't mistake "editing your BIOS" as slang for hitting F2 at boot and changing some settings. More along the lines of editing your DSDT/SSDT by hand to fix problems with hardware being recognized correctly or at all. Not that its impossible, there are many useful guides here, just take your time doing research.