multi OS accessible HDD formating

7 posts in this topic

Hi.

I have recently installed osx86 with the help of Verdant.

I have some hdd questions, but instead of explaining with words have made a picture that you can look at.

The question is simply how to make a hdd accessible by both osx and win7:

post-653040-1282573870_thumb.jpg

hmm no responds,,

However I desided to go ahead and test this out, formating the storage drives with fat32 and checking accessebility.

Seems that win7 can not see the drives. so googling some more found some info about something called "macdrive", a software that you install on windows and it reads formated osx drives.

Gonna see if that works, will get back to you guys.

hmm no responds,,

However I desided to go ahead and test this out, formating the storage drives with fat32 and checking accessebility.

Seems that win7 can not see the drives. so googling some more found some info about something called "macdrive", a software that you install on windows and it reads formated osx drives.

Gonna see if that works, will get back to you guys.

You have two options - the easiest is a MBR/FAT32 partitioned/formatted volume which should be read/writeable by Windows and OS X and Linux - but the maximum file size is 4GB.........for larger files, you have two options:

From Windows, install TransMac, or MacDrive, and then read OS X HFS+ volumes........

From OS X, install NTFS-3g, or Tuxera NTFS for Mac, or Paragon NTFS for Mac, and then read/write Windows NTFS volumes.......

thx verdant, I have been trying out the macdrive method. But it seems as if macdrive can't read my stoarage devices but it can read the osx installation drive.

this may be why:

I have 2 IDE HDD's, one is 160gb the other 120gb. With disk utility I have used the raid in concatenated form(both the drives act as one, Verdant I'm sure you know what concatenated is. the explanation is meant for noobs like me).

And Mac OS Extended(Journaled) was used as format method.

have tried this now two times over. gonna reboot in win and see if it works now.. brb

thx verdant, I have been trying out the macdrive method. But it seems as if macdrive can't read my stoarage devices but it can read the osx installation drive.

this may be why:

I have 2 IDE HDD's, one is 160gb the other 120gb. With disk utility I have used the raid in concatenated form(both the drives act as one, Verdant I'm sure you know what concatenated is. the explanation is meant for noobs like me).

And Mac OS Extended(Journaled) was used as format method.

have tried this now two times over. gonna reboot in win and see if it works now.. brb

Neither MacDrive nor CrossStripe will allow you to use a RAID created with Disk Utility on a Mac, and AFAIK OS X does not work with BIOS "faked hardware" RAID, only with OS X Software RAID or a OS X compatible PCI RAID card with the Sil 3124 or Sil 3132 chipset for example........

Not sure about TransMac and OS X Software RAID.........

well well, that helped me a lot. will then just go with 120gb and 160gb separately as storage until I get a bigger drive..

You're a life saver Verdant!

Glad to help.......... :angry: