Apple potential patent kill switch in the works

3 posts in this topic

8-21-10-appleapp.jpg

Jailbroken iOS users should be on the look out for a potential patent that could have the authority to perform a kill on an application. This "Kill Switch" is assumed to be directed at unauthorized users of iOS devices who gain unauthorized access to their device. The above diagram depicts how this process would take place where suspected activities are identified as unauthorized on the users behalf where it is then remotely terminated. This is not remotely done from your handy T.V. remote but rather from an Apple branded server should this patent go through.

It is also mentioned that there could be possible carrier involvement where the carrier on which you reside on can cripple its network on your behalf for having running on an unauthorized firmware. Device lock down seems to be the new priority for those turtlenecks over at Cupertino but all is not lost just yet.

Insanelymac first impression?

Just give me back my damn rights to "owning" a device. I say "owning" because Apple apparently wants to play Big Brother on our devices regardless of what laws may assert. In America I believe this would conflict with the 1st Amendment. I'm just saying...

Source: AppleInsider

Let us know what your take is.

Although this article is making play throughout the internet, (just like the old Apple kill switch ability), I highly doubt we'll see this as a method for bouncing jailbreak users.

Considering the government in the USA just allowed a DMCA exemption for jailbreaking cel phones, Apple would be in a legal hornet's nest and a terrible PR mess (worse than antenna gate) if they tried that.

Sure than can do all they want to make jailbreaking harder and/or say it voids your warranty, but to actively implement a kill switch after this ruling, I don't see even Apple being that stupid.

If Apple does this, I will never again buy another product from them. My iPod Touch is mine, and i do whatever i want with it. iPod/iPhone/iPad without jailbreak are just a player, with jailbreak they are a pocket computer. I doubt Apple will ever do this, they are going to lose millions of users, and gain millions of trials.