Can't install on Woodcrest 5160 or Italy 285

csimon2

4 posts in this topic

I have three high powered systems. One is a Dual/Dual Woodcrest 5160 (3GHz) with an Intel 5100PAL motherboard and the other two are Dual/Dual Opteron 285 (2.6GHz) with one motherboard being a Tyan S2892 and the other a Tyan S2895. The intel board does not have PATA, it only has SATA (x6). The Tyan boards have PATA and SATA, but I have not tried PATA yet. I have read in some previous posts from last year that SATA may not work on these nForce based boards. But then again I have read where it should be working with the Maxxuss 10.4.6 patched install image, which is what I have. And I have installed OS X 86 on my Dell D810 which uses SATA with no issue, so I have been able to get this OS image to work with SATA.

I can get the boot install disc to boot all motherboards and launch Disk Utility. However, once at Disk Utility, no drives are found to be partitioned when using SATA, whether they are unpartitioned spaces on a drive with an NTFS partition or if it is a preformatted HFS+ disk. On the Tyan boards, if I use an external Firewire 400 drive, I can use that to start the install process, however the install will hang midway through.

Does any one have any suggestions? I will try a PATA drive on the Tyan boards this weekend, but since the Intel board does not have PATA or Firewire, I don't know where to go next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I should note that the intel motherboard is a 5000PAL, not a 5100PAL like I originally stated. Also, the board does have a Slimline IDE connector. So maybe I could use that as a boot drive connection with an adapter and bypass the SATA issue. BTW, the CD drive I am using to boot from is an external USB Sony model.

So, I was able to get OSx86 to install on the AMD Opterons by using PATA. I had hoped that the SATA issue was just for during installation, but unfortunately even during standard OS running SATA drives are not recognized. Other stuff like networking, audio, and QE don't work either. I could probably fix the QE issue, but I am only really doing this to test OS X benchmarks on these Quads compared to my Quad G5. Graphics benchmarking can wait until there is sufficient support from Apple for add in cards.

I also ordered a 44 pin (slimline) to 40 pin (IDE) adapter that should arrive next week so that I can use it for hopefully installing on the Woodcrest board.

Does any one know of a good cloning tool for OSx86? All the ones I use for PPC don't seem to be universal binaries yet? Thanks again for any help.

• 3 weeks later...
So, I was able to get OSx86 to install on the AMD Opterons by using PATA. I had hoped that the SATA issue was just for during installation, but unfortunately even during standard OS running SATA drives are not recognized. Other stuff like networking, audio, and QE don't work either. I could probably fix the QE issue, but I am only really doing this to test OS X benchmarks on these Quads compared to my Quad G5. Graphics benchmarking can wait until there is sufficient support from Apple for add in cards.

I also ordered a 44 pin (slimline) to 40 pin (IDE) adapter that should arrive next week so that I can use it for hopefully installing on the Woodcrest board.

Does any one know of a good cloning tool for OSx86? All the ones I use for PPC don't seem to be universal binaries yet? Thanks again for any help.

From day one i only use the disk utility that comes with Mac OS X... My Partition style :- 1st DVD Image, 2nd Mac OS.. The DVD image partition is useful when doing recovery or reinstallation but u'll need to enable the OSX text boot menu...