Verdict? SSE2 CPU and 10.4.6/7

firebush05

4 posts in this topic

I'm reading post after post of people with SSE3 CPU's getting 10.4.6/7 to run, but only after using the SSE2 patch instead of the SSE3 patch. I have an AMD3000+ Winchester SSE2 only CPU, and want to run the newer versions of OSX. Is it now possible to install and run 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 on an SSE2 only CPU? Before, SSE2 was a limitation. Has that now changed?

I have an SSE2 computer, and I'm running Mac OS x86 10.4.6 JaS in VMWare.

Next week I am going to dual boot Windows XP and 10.4.6, then update to 10.4.7. Right now, it runs fine.

The JaS version of OSX86 has SSE2 patches so it runs perfectly fine, without having to change anything after the installation.

So get Mac OS x 10.4.6 JaS off of a bit torrent site (don't ask where), when you get to the point to start the install, click "Customize" and under the patches, check the correct patches that match your system.

In your case, it would be the AMD SSE2 Patch.

JaS has included all sorts of patches for you to use, and you'll be fine.

There is an update to go to 10.4.7, but it is for Intel only. For now, you'll have to use 10.4.6.

Also, if you install 10.4.6 - don't update OSX in Software Update.

I have an SSE2 computer, and I'm running Mac OS x86 10.4.6 JaS in VMWare.

Next week I am going to dual boot Windows XP and 10.4.6, then update to 10.4.7. Right now, it runs fine.

The JaS version of OSX86 has SSE2 patches so it runs perfectly fine, without having to change anything after the installation.

So get Mac OS x 10.4.6 JaS off of a bit torrent site (don't ask where), when you get to the point to start the install, click "Customize" and under the patches, check the correct patches that match your system.

In your case, it would be the AMD SSE2 Patch.

JaS has included all sorts of patches for you to use, and you'll be fine.

There is an update to go to 10.4.7, but it is for Intel only. For now, you'll have to use 10.4.6.

Also, if you install 10.4.6 - don't update OSX in Software Update.

How about outside of VMWare? I'm running 10.4.3 perfectly, except I now need WiFi. My WiFi card only works in 10.4.5 or greater. Problem is, I only have SSE2. I've tried running OSX in VMWare back when all this began (those were fun days...), and I remember it being fairly slow...at least on my rig. Do you mean you can run this outside of VMWare on an SSE2 rig?

I've got JaS all ready to go...