Best USB/PCI/PCI-X SPDIF passthrough audio card?

Edw

4 posts in this topic

After a whole day of googling, searching the forum & wiki, I know there are plenty of sound cards supporting 5.1/7.1

However I just want my HT"Mac" to passthrough audio with SPDIF when watching DVDs/iTunes trailers, does anyone has any suggestions?

Or is it possible to play 5.1 DTS/AC3 thru SPDIF but not passing it through directly?

My config:

GA-P55-USB3

LAN: 8111E - working 32/64bit

Audio: ALC 892 - stereo only with VoodooHDA.kext (0.2.1 from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) 32/64bit

Display: XFX GTS 250 - works with GraphicsEnabler=YES in boot.plist 32/64bit

Denon AVR-2807

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I had the same questions, today I picked up a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB, plugged it in and instantly got Doly Digital 5.1 out of Plex using optical SPDIF.. it seems to be hard finding out which USB audio devices will actually do spdif passthrough on OSX.

no volume control but meh, I'll control that externally no problem.

*update* wanted volume control so used Sunflower with Sunflowerbed and now I have local volume control in OSX using SPDIF out (havent tested 5.1 through sunflower yet, im temporarily back to stereo..)

http://code.google.com/p/soundflower/

• 1 month later...
I had the same questions, today I picked up a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB, plugged it in and instantly got Doly Digital 5.1 out of Plex using optical SPDIF.. it seems to be hard finding out which USB audio devices will actually do spdif passthrough on OSX.

Hi,

are you sure that this card can passthrough AC-3 and DTS via the SPDIF-Connector? In the german forum i've read that onle the analog outputs are working correctly.