Help me choose a conroe board

2 posts in this topic

AusPcMarket has a list of motherboards they stock which are conroe compatible. they do have stock of the D975XBX [OEM] but I'm guessing it's a revision 303 otherwise it would be on the list. Either way it's AU$341

From that list, does anyone have any reconmendations for the board with a good price and good compatability for OSX86. Working PATA is a requirement...

I am concerned about performance having heard excellent things about the 975, but assume for example the ASROCK 775XFIRE-ESATA2+ would not provide fantastic performance bineg based on the 945. I do like being able to overclock!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Take a look at the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. It uses the Marvell 88E8053 Gigabit LAN, and Realtek ALC883 for audio. So LAN and SATA should work out of the box, and with the right kext the Realtek can be brought to life.

The great things about this board are 1) it supports Conroe overclocking, BIGTIME. You can bring the FSB from the nominal 266 MHz up to 485 MHz! In practice, not just in theory. 2) It uses 965P, which is guaranteed to work with Conroe. 3) It's about $100 US cheaper than the Intel battle axe.

EDIT: Oops, this board uses ICH8, which I think is SATA only. A separate I.C. is used for PATA, which may not work under OSX86.