MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL-AMD-SSE3-SSE2) won't boot

deathwarder

9 posts in this topic

Hello, this is my first post here. I downloaded this iso, MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL-AMD-SSE3-SSE2)

and burned it to a dvd-rw to try it out. I burned it to an rw because I didn't want to risk wasting a dvd. I would put it into my computer, set it to boot from the dvd drive, and it would just boot into windows. I tried it both on my main computer:

intel pentium 4 520, 2.8ghz

1gig of pc3200 ddr

120gig hdd

ati radeon x800pro

and my laptop:

dell inspiron 8500, pentium m, 256megs of ram, 40gig hdd, ati mobility 9000

neither of them would boot into it. the hdd's are both partitioned in fat32, but I didn't think it would make much of a difference, as it would just treat it as an unformatted drive to be formatted right? I am sorry if I am not being specific enough. Thank you for your time. :poster_oops:

Howdy!

Make sure your DVD ROM plays the media you inserted... DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW are all a pain to keep track of...

At boot time, it will ask you to press any key to boot from the DVD... did you see this screen? Did you press any key?

After that you will see Darwin load up and after that a blue screen will show up. The blue screen will be there for a long time (2-3 minutes) before coming to life. Just wait and the install screen will show up.

Your laptop *MAY* require you to boot from an external monitor attached to your laptop because of a "feature" of OSX86.

Let me know how you progressed.

Well I know it plays the media, as I installed vista from dvd-rw on both of these machines. Im not running it anymore though. I didn't see that screen. Boot from an external monitor? Why? I have tried it on both my desktop and laptop, they both act as if the disc wasn't there. Although in windows it detects a disc, and won't open it because its the wrong format.

1. Make sure your CPU supports at least SSE2 instruction set.

2. Your desktop *should* be able to boot the DVD, if not, then it could be a bad burn or bad iso. In order to minimize variables, burning to a DVD-R is recommended. Those RW media always give me the creeps.

3. Once you get past the initial grey apple screen, you will enter the installation blue screen. On many laptops, all you will see is a blue screen without any installation windows, thus, the requirement to boot from an external monitor which allows you to see those installation windows.

4. Concentrate on your desktop, which seems better equipped to run OSX86.

well the desktop can do sse3, and the laptop can do sse2. Why does rw give you the creeps? I just wanted to make sure I didn't waste a disc, incase of a bad iso. Also, as I mentioned in my first post, could it be related to me not having an os x compatible partition?