Help on a failed install.

Hookd

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a Gateway MX8734 laptop with Vista installed and I'd like to install a Mac OS. I have the disks for Tiger and Snow Leopard. I read a guide to dual booting and looked at the Wiki for my laptop.

I changed the BIOS to "Other" for the operating system and the boot order to DVD first. Partitioned the drive to make room for the OS. Made the new partition the active directory. And, then I rebooted with Snow Leopard in the drive. I heard the drive speed up but I got an error message saying "Missing OS Drive". I tried again using the Tiger disk, but got the same message.

Is there something extra on those OS' that you can download from a torrent site? What am I missing?

Thanks. Specs for the computer below

ub_clear.gif

MX8734 Notebook Specifications

Part Number: 1014366RGateway MX8734 Notebook

FeatureDescriptionProcessorIntel® Pentium® Dual-Core Mobile processor T2060

1 MB L2 cache | 1.60 GHz | 533 MHz FSB ChipsetIntel® 943GML Screen17.1-inch Ultrabright™ WXGA TFT (1440 × 900) Memory1024 MB 533 MHz DDR2 Dual Channel memory (2 × 512)

Maximum supported memory: 2 GB

Total slots: 2 DDR2 slots | Available slots: 0 DDR2 slots VideoIntel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Up to 224 MB shared video memory AudioHigh definition 2-channel audio Hard drive160-GB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive Optical driveDVD+/-RW Multi-format double layer Write maximum: 8X DVD+/-R, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-R DL, 2.4X DVD+R DL, 5x DVD-RAM, 24X CD-R and 16X CD-RW discs

Read maximum: 24X CD-R/RW/ROM, 8X DVD-R/RW/ROM, 4X DVD+/-R DL, RAM, discs

Media Reader4-in-1 Digital Media Manager

Secure Digital® (SD), Memory Stick™, Memory Stick-Pro™, and Multimedia Card® (MMC)Modem 56K ITU V.92 ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port) Network

• 10/100 Ethernet LAN
  • Wireless LAN 802.11g

Interfaces

• 4 - USB 2.0 ports
  • 1 - VGA external connector
  • 1 - S-Video external connector
  • 1 - IEEE 1394 port
  • 1 - RJ11 (modem)
  • 1 - RJ45 (Ethernet LAN)
  • 1 - Microphone In
  • 1 - Headphone / Audio Out
  • 1 - Kensington lock slot
  • 1 - AC adapter connector

Pointing Device Touchpad with vertical scroll zone PCMCIA 1 - Type I or Type II; Card Bus Battery6-Cell 2400 mAh Lithium IonDimensions1.24 to 1.42-inches (H) × 16.06-inches (W) × 10.89-inches (D) Weight7.37 pounds

umm you need a boot cd or usb stick to boot the Retail snow leo DVD you cant just boot from a mac DVD.

a boot cd or usb would be chameleon boot cd or [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] their are other but these are pretty good