Asus S96J Or Z62F

5 posts in this topic

I've been looking around many laptop sites and found none that could customize to a level of my liking so I turned to buying a whitebox laptop, I've narrowed my search to a few laptops such as the Asus Z62F and the Asus S96J. The S96J has a built in Mobility X1600 and the Z62F an Intel GMA950 I plan to do some gaming and other graphics utilizing but if the X1600 doesnt work at all for the internal laptop display I'll settle for the GMA950.

Im willing to do all the patching, (etc.) needed to make the X1600 work but from what I've read not even the Boris method has fixed them. Price is not an option, the difference between these two shells is about $100 dollars.

Asus S96J

Asus Z62F

Opinions?

• 4 months later...
I've been looking around many laptop sites and found none that could customize to a level of my liking so I turned to buying a whitebox laptop, I've narrowed my search to a few laptops such as the Asus Z62F and the Asus S96J. The S96J has a built in Mobility X1600 and the Z62F an Intel GMA950 I plan to do some gaming and other graphics utilizing but if the X1600 doesnt work at all for the internal laptop display I'll settle for the GMA950.

Im willing to do all the patching, (etc.) needed to make the X1600 work but from what I've read not even the Boris method has fixed them. Price is not an option, the difference between these two shells is about $100 dollars.

Asus S96J

Asus Z62F

Opinions?

ME I GOT a Z62F , prety cool , I buy the box new and i bid for the parts on ebay

about 800 $ total! for the box , hard drive 80 , ram 1g, wireless and 2.0 dual core processor !

And 14 Inch its a good size , we can call that a portable laptop ! more than big 15.4 inch

anyway ! thats wath i have to say

a+

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The install work with 10.4.6 ( except the sound card ) , anyway i use an external m-audio sound card

, after i upgrade to 10.4.7 everything work cool and fast ( i try 10.4.8 before , doesnt work for me ... give me still waiting for root device message , and i past too much time on this trouble , so i decide to go with an older version 10.4.6 and the 10.4.7 upgrade .

I wait for the 10.5 to be completed !!!!!!!! and i will try this Soon

a+

• 4 months later...
The install work with 10.4.6 ( except the sound card ) , anyway i use an external m-audio sound card

, after i upgrade to 10.4.7 everything work cool and fast ( i try 10.4.8 before , doesnt work for me ... give me still waiting for root device message , and i past too much time on this trouble , so i decide to go with an older version 10.4.6 and the 10.4.7 upgrade .

I wait for the 10.5 to be completed !!!!!!!! and i will try this Soon

a+

I am using 10.4.8 and have tried 10.4.5 - 10.4.7 and have had no luck with video. All others working. I even bought a MacBook Pro airport card and that gave me wireless on both windows and mac.

I have a mouse tearing issue with my S96J and can't get my resolution above 1024x768. I have tried all the natit installers and kext and have manually edited the atiradeonx1000.kext file with no luck. My device ID is 71c5 on Asus S96J. Please help!