Upgrade from Core 2 Duo to Core 2 Quad?

funkmuffin

2 posts in this topic

So I have a Hackintosh music production machine that's been running great for 2-3-4 years. Since it's the core of my studio, I don't upgrade and software on it -- I want to just turn it on and have it work.

Recently, I've been wanting to add some cores to get a little more plugin headroom in Logic, but I don't know what's possible.

Specs: Fairly old-style hackintosh -- Kalyway 10.5.2 behind grub, running on a non-vanilla kernel (don't remember which, but it was included with Kalyway). 4 GB RAM, ASUS P5K-VM and several HDDs. There's also an added Firewire card, since the on-board chip sucked. Everything else is pretty much stock, and workng beautifully

I'd like to simply drop in the new proc, but don't know if that would work or not. Do I need to re-install OSX to get it to take advantage of the two new cores? A rebuild at the moment is out of the question, as it would take many hours to get back up and running, and I'm knee-deep in several projects.

So is it a simple "drop in", or much more involved?

Drop it in and see what happens. If it doesn't work you can always put your old processor in and it should be golden again.

And if you put it in and it doesn't work just use a blank hard drive and reinstall OS X to that hard drive, if it works you know what you'd have to do to add the processor. If not, you can just reinsert your old hard drive and move on.