Intel GMA 950 Quartz Extreme

anotheropaygo

31 posts in this topic

I have a Intel GMA 950 (I.D. 2772) graphics card on my desktop, and I also have snow leopard running almost perfectly.

I got the resolution to 1280x1024 by following this post and only using the stock GMA950 kexts I had in my installation, the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, and the Callisto.kext in the post's attachment.

However Quartz Extreme is not working and thus my computer is going pretty slow.

I tried these posts, but no luck.

My I.D. is 0x2772 and I am using a desktop, not a laptop.

Please make any suggestions. Thanks

I have a Intel GMA 950 (I.D. 2772) graphics card on my desktop, and I also have snow leopard running almost perfectly.

I got the resolution to 1280x1024 by following this post and only using the stock GMA950 kexts I had in my installation, the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, and the Callisto.kext in the post's attachment.

However Quartz Extreme is not working and thus my computer is going pretty slow.

I tried these posts, but no luck.

My I.D. is 0x2772 and I am using a desktop, not a laptop.

Please make any suggestions. Thanks

I have pretty much the same problem. In 10.6.0 it runs just fine, full QE, everything's great. When I update to 10.6.3, the framerate sucks and video files don't play properly. I have the same graphics card although it's the laptop model, but the ID is the same as yours. I've come across supposedly fixed kexts for the 950 on 10.6.3 but when I try to use them I get a blank screen at boot and have to spend an hour doing a Time Machine restore.

Is this issue present in 10.6.2? I'm only updating because I want to use XCode and it demands at least 10.6.2 so if this performance issue isn't present in .2 I may just use that and leave .3 or above alone for now.

Solved. Looks like all those different attempts I made to fix the graphics card was the problem.

All it took was a fresh install and using just the stock and the other kexts I posted above.

In fact the fresh install even fix my audio speakers and microphone.

And GunForHire, you might want to try what I did because I am using 10.6.3 with Quartz and Resolution:

1st: Check your graphics card I.D; use Everest Ultimate for Windows or System Profiler for Mac (It must be 2772).

2nd: Do A Fresh Install with whatever is Necessary to boot, but do not apply any video patches.

3rd: Download my attached kexts zip.

4th. Place them in /System/Library/Extensions

5th. VERY IMPORTANT download Kext Utility from here, run it, and let it finish. If you do not, IT WILL NOT WORK.

6th: Reboot and hopefully jump for joy.

Hope that helps,

anotheropaygo

IntelGMA950Kexts.zip

Solved. Looks like all those different attempts I made to fix the graphics card was the problem.

All it took was a fresh install and using just the stock and the other kexts I posted above.

In fact the fresh install even fix my audio speakers and microphone.

And GunForHire, you might want to try what I did because I am using 10.6.3 with Quartz and Resolution:

1st: Check your graphics card I.D; use Everest Ultimate for Windows or System Profiler for Mac (It must be 2772).

2nd: Do A Fresh Install with whatever is Necessary to boot, but do not apply any video patches.

3rd: Download my attached kexts zip.

4th. Place them in /System/Library/Extensions

5th. VERY IMPORTANT download Kext Utility from here, run it, and let it finish. If you do not, IT WILL NOT WORK.

6th: Reboot and hopefully jump for joy.

Hope that helps,

anotheropaygo

Awesome, thank you for that - going to give it a go and get back to you. If it works you're my new hero :D

Awesome, thank you for that - going to give it a go and get back to you. If it works you're my new hero :D

Make sure to backup the intel gma kexts or if mine did not work, you will be left with a black screen.

If you are running 10.6.3, then you can use all of my kexts in the zip I attached.

However, if you are using another version (like 10.6.0), do not use my GMA950 kexts (there are four of them).

To fix your intel gma 950 card, use your stock kexts that came with your installation, then use all the kexts I attached, BUT NOT THE GMA950 ONES if you are not running 10.6.3.

Good luck.

Make sure to backup the intel gma kexts or if mine did not work, you will be left with a black screen.

If you are running 10.6.3, then you can use all of my kexts in the zip I attached.

However, if you are using another version (like 10.6.0), do not use my GMA950 kexts (there are four of them).

To fix your intel gma 950 card, use your stock kexts that came with your installation, then use all the kexts I attached, BUT NOT THE GMA950 ONES if you are not running 10.6.3.

Good luck.

Thanks again, quick question though - my device ID is 0x27a2. The card is a GMA 945/950 depending on the ID'ing program, but it's the same spec as those in Core2Duo Macbook revision which is why I'm hoping it works. I'm currently using GMA950 kexts at 10.6.0 (version 1.5.44) and it works perfectly. How critical is it that my device ID be 2772? Thanks again!

--------

Update - well I tried the Kexts anyway as instructed but no luck so far. Same as before - for some reason though, after I put those kexts into /System/Library/Extensions and run Kext Utility, it fails to rebuild Extensions.mkext, I get a timeout error. This happens twice, then it seems to make a new Extensions.mkext from my /Extra/Extensions directory. Thing is though, there's currently some GMA950/IntelligentBuffer kexts in there from my installation and I'm guessing that when it fails to rebuild the mkext the new one that's created uses these kexts instead. Any ideas?

Update - well I tried the Kexts anyway as instructed but no luck so far. Same as before - for some reason though, after I put those kexts into /System/Library/Extensions and run Kext Utility, it fails to rebuild Extensions.mkext, I get a timeout error. This happens twice, then it seems to make a new Extensions.mkext from my /Extra/Extensions directory. Thing is though, there's currently some GMA950/IntelligentBuffer kexts in there from my installation and I'm guessing that when it fails to rebuild the mkext the new one that's created uses these kexts instead. Any ideas?

Oh don't worry about them; it happened to me too.

Just ignore the errors and let kext utility finish, then simply reboot and see what happens.

If the kexts do not work, it is the problem with them and not kext utility and its errors.

However,

The solutions for Intel GMA 950 and 945 are two different stories.

Make sure you know what your card is.

And another however,

My solution will NOT work at all if your I.D. is SOMETHING ELSE THEN (2772)

The thing about kexts, is that there are multiple ways to get it working,

but there is only one that should be used for a stable fix.

And I think I know a fix for 27a2, but please make sure that is your I.D. and what is your card.

Oh don't worry about them; it happened to me too.

Just ignore the errors and let kext utility finish, then simply reboot and see what happens.

If the kexts do not work, it is the problem with them and not kext utility and its errors.

However,

The solutions for Intel GMA 950 and 945 are two different stories.

Make sure you know what your card is.

And another however,

My solution will NOT work at all if your I.D. is SOMETHING ELSE THEN (2772)

The thing about kexts, is that there are multiple ways to get it working,

but there is only one that should be used for a stable fix.

And I think I know a fix for 27a2, but please make sure that is your I.D. and what is your card.

Thanks for the help on this - my card should be a 950. From the official spec page for my laptop :

Specifications

Part Number: 4006126RMotherboard w/UMA Graphics 945GM and IEEE 1394 (FRU)

Graphics Controller: Intel® GMA 950

So it should be a 950 although the motherboard name is a little confusing as it says UMA Graphics 945GM. The device ID is definitely 0x27a2, but oddly this is what the System Profiler says:

nVidia Graphics Card:

Chipset Model: nVidia Graphics Card

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x27a2

Revision ID: 0x0003

ROM Revision: Silent Natit x86_64 v1.0.2

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Not sure why it's saying it's an Nvidia card but I'm guessing that just because the kext isn't right at the moment.

Alright, so you have a Intel GMA950 card, but with the I.D. 27A2.

So my kexts will not work. Download the attachment from this post.

You should find some kexts; copy them into /System/Library/Extensions. {Make sure to backup your old kexts}

Run KextUtility {Ignore the Problems}

Reboot with the -f flag.

Be sure to tell me how it goes and what problems you encountered.

Unfortunately that didn't go so well, although slightly better than before. After the Apple logo and spinner disappear, the screen goes a light blue colour (as usually happens for a second just before the desktop loads), but it just stays blue and flashes every 10 seconds or so. There's no signal to my external monitor either.

I think it's just a matter of the kext directories being too messed up, too many different versions/clashing kexts or whatever. I've discovered that the original GMA kexts that are there after installation are installed from my installation disc's postinstall scripts, but I don't need them to get the display working. So I'm thinking of just doing a fresh install with no postinstall scripts, then immediately doing an upgrade to 10.6.3 and trying these most recent kexts again. I'll just have to work out how to install the bootloader properly myself I guess, if that all works.

Unfortunately that didn't go so well, although slightly better than before. After the Apple logo and spinner disappear, the screen goes a light blue colour (as usually happens for a second just before the desktop loads), but it just stays blue and flashes every 10 seconds or so. There's no signal to my external monitor either.

I think it's just a matter of the kext directories being too messed up, too many different versions/clashing kexts or whatever. I've discovered that the original GMA kexts that are there after installation are installed from my installation disc's postinstall scripts, but I don't need them to get the display working. So I'm thinking of just doing a fresh install with no postinstall scripts, then immediately doing an upgrade to 10.6.3 and trying these most recent kexts again. I'll just have to work out how to install the bootloader properly myself I guess, if that all works.

I'm sorry to hear that, but a clean installation helped me, so maybe it will help you.

After you do a fresh installation, try this package I attached before using any of the above methods.

Be sure to use only what is needed to boot your new installation and nothing else. That includes NO GRAPHIC FIXES.

Use Leopard to install my package if you cannot see anything when booting Snow.

UPDATE: Forget what I said about remove the .zip extension

And about the boot loader, try making a chameleon v2 cd, so you do not have to worry about about installing one on your snow partition. You can make a cd by following this post.

gma950_27a2.pkg.zip

Sadly no luck with that package either - did a fresh install, the upgrade to 10.6.3 then installed the package and did a reboot. Same as before, working display the right res but no QE or working video playback.

Getting QE working is easy; the hard part is getting the resolution working.

And your video is not playing be of QE.

1. Download my kext package I attached earlier.

2. Ignore the GMA950 kexts, and find the Callisto Kext and the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

3. Copy those two kexts that I bolded into /system/library/extensions (make sure to backup)

4. Run KextUtility, and then reboot.

5. Boot with -f flag

Tell me how it goes.

Getting QE working is easy; the hard part is getting the resolution working.

And your video is not playing be of QE.

1. Download my kext package I attached earlier.

2. Ignore the GMA950 kexts, and find the Callisto Kext and the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

3. Copy those two kexts that I bolded into /system/library/extensions (make sure to backup)

4. Run KextUtility, and then reboot.

5. Boot with -f flag

Tell me how it goes.

Tried that, same as before which is pretty annoying. Really appreciate the help on this though, it's the last issue I'm having after getting wifi and everything else working.

Tried that, same as before which is pretty annoying. Really appreciate the help on this though, it's the last issue I'm having after getting wifi and everything else working.

Did you run KextUtility?

Or,

Try downloading the attachment from the website I posted on August 6th.

Find the CallistoH(Something) kext, not the Callisto.kext.

Save it into /s/l/e and run kextutility.

Reboot.

Did you run KextUtility?

Or,

Try downloading the attachment from the website I posted on August 6th.

Find the CallistoH(Something) kext, not the Callisto.kext.

Save it into /s/l/e and run kextutility.

Reboot.

I did run kext utility after installing the kexts. I also tried adding the CallistoHAL.kext as suggest, ran kext utility and did a reboot - no effect either.

I did run kext utility after installing the kexts. I also tried adding the CallistoHAL.kext as suggest, ran kext utility and did a reboot - no effect either.

Okay, you might need to patch your DSDT.

Google and download for "DSDT Patcher GUI"

Run it, and checkmark "Apply to.." and choose your Snow Leopard partition's name.

Reboot with -f

If, this did not work,

Go to /(Your Snow Leopard Partition Name)

Delete any dsdt files.

Run DSDT Patcher GUI.

Check "Force Compile," "New HPET," and "Apply to" your snow drive.

Reboot with -f

Okay, you might need to patch your DSDT.

Google and download for "DSDT Patcher GUI"

Run it, and checkmark "Apply to.." and choose your Snow Leopard partition's name.

Reboot with -f

If, this did not work,

Go to /(Your Snow Leopard Partition Name)

Delete any dsdt files.

Run DSDT Patcher GUI.

Check "Force Compile," "New HPET," and "Apply to" your snow drive.

Reboot with -f

Hmm, I tried both of those suggestions, still no improvement - in fact I've actually lost signal to my external monitor now. I don't know why this card is refusing to work properly. I haven't got sleep or restart working properly yet, could that be related?

Hmm, I tried both of those suggestions, still no improvement - in fact I've actually lost signal to my external monitor now. I don't know why this card is refusing to work properly. I haven't got sleep or restart working properly yet, could that be related?

Try this post.

Download the Natit.kext and place it in /s/l/e like in the post.

Delete the CallistoHAL.kext. Leave the other kexts.

Run KextUtility and reboot with -f.

Try this post.

Download the Natit.kext and place it in /s/l/e like in the post.

Delete the CallistoHAL.kext. Leave the other kexts.

Run KextUtility and reboot with -f.

Same again. If this graphics card were a person I'd have bitchslapped it by now. On the plus side, my external monitor is working again though.

Same again. If this graphics card were a person I'd have bitchslapped it by now. On the plus side, my external monitor is working again though.

Why don't you try following the post completely? To the letter.

Tell me how it goes.

Tell me how it goes.

Forget what I said earlier.

Try the kexts posted on this thread.

Use only the AppleIntelGMA(XXXX) kexts and leave the Framebuffer kext I gave you.

Use KextUtility and reboot with -f.

If this doesn't work, try deleting the Natit.kext you installed earlier.

Then run kextutility and reboot with -f.

Tell me how it goes.

Forget what I said earlier.

Try the kexts posted on this thread.

Use only the AppleIntelGMA(XXXX) kexts and leave the Framebuffer kext I gave you.

Use KextUtility and reboot with -f.

Tell me how this goes.

I appreciate your continued patience on this one. I tried using the kexts from that thread and your previous Framebuffer, ran kext utility and rebooted with -f to no effect. I also tried removing the patched dsdt and rebooting with -f. Again, no effect.

Out of curiosity I rebooted in verbose mode and noticed the following error (see the attached pic - sorry about the poor quality it was a quick iPhone snap before it scrolled off screen):

Can't load kext com.apple.driver.IntelGMA950 - failed to resolve library dependencies

failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950 error 0xdc00800e

Coudn't alloc class Intel 915

Natit starting

Natit found device with ID=0x27a2

This must be the root of the problem.

post-640576-1281570963_thumb.jpg

I appreciate your continued patience on this one. I tried using the kexts from that thread and your previous Framebuffer, ran kext utility and rebooted with -f to no effect. I also tried removing the patched dsdt and rebooting with -f. Again, no effect.

Out of curiosity I rebooted in verbose mode and noticed the following error (see the attached pic - sorry about the poor quality it was a quick iPhone snap before it scrolled off screen):

This must be the root of the problem.

I'm not sure about this error.

What version of snow did your display start working with QE?

I'm not sure about this error.

What version of snow did your display start working with QE?

It works fine with the stock kexts on 10.6.0, QE, resolution, the works. It also works with the stock kexts on 10.6.2 but with no QE and stuck at 1280x768.