Advice or thoughts on upcoming build

yodii77

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am considering buying the OCZ OCZDIY17B1-US Intel GM45 17" Notebook Barebone kit from new egg. It features a 17 inch screen, socket for Intel Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Quad, 4 gigs of DDR3, 2hdd bays, a NVIDIA GeForce 9600GTS graphics card, and a lot of other great features. I'd like to put a core 2 Extreme in it, or a core 2 quad, and 2 WD Scorpios to come in at around $1000 for the entire build(the kit is $549). This is my first build of any kind though so I am a little nervous. I was looking over the forums, overall it seems there shouldn't be too much issue with the hardware except for the web cam (which even some of the windows using builders seemed to have problems finding a proper driver for) and the wireless router was unmentioned in my research except for it being a G which wouldn't be my preference. I know that I could get a Isight used cheap and if worst came to worst i could get a mac compatible USB wireless N. So I guess I am putting out to the community, is this a solid investment and a relatively no headache build or should I wait, and just buy a PC laptop. I need a system by the 23rd of August for school. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

if you must have a laptop and put OSx86 on it, considered buying one that OSX is proven to work on rather than finding out your build doesn't work and getting disappointed