Dual Boot with a Single Hard Drive?

14 posts in this topic

hey guys im new to the whole osx86 scene,

ive come to think that you do need a separate hard drive to dual boot, or need to have osx as your os. the problem is that my os is Windows 7 and i have a single 250 gb harddrive. i really wanted to dual boot but i cant figure it out. any help will be really appreciated.

i want to dual boot snow leopard using iatkos 10.6.3 sl cd, and i need some help, i looked through some tuts and most specify that you need a separate hard drive, which i do not have.. :)

updates: im going to try something anyway, im going to try to partition my hardrive and format everything so i have no os, and install osx on it

omg i cant believe i forgot to mention, i have intel gma 950 laptop, cpu checks out good for 64 bit, sse 1,2,3 (from CPU-Z) and my hardware is supported

umm can someone tell me whats going on, ive got panic things on iatkos, so i tried my old hazard copy and also got a kernel panic, anyone have any insight? my bios is set to ahci too, and i attached a photo

post-647253-1280115548_thumb.jpg

also panic (cpu 0x2a9e5c)

umm can someone tell me whats going on, ive got panic things on iatkos, so i tried my old hazard copy and also got a kernel panic, anyone have any insight? my bios is set to ahci too, and i attached a photo

post-647253-1280115548_thumb.jpg

also panic (cpu 0x2a9e5c)

You don't need a 2nd physical hard drive specifically. It's just that it makes it less prone to error and possibly wiping Win 7 in your case.

You will need a tool to resize your existing win 7 (ntfs) partition and reduce it from 250gig to e.g. 125gig. This then gives you space to start installing OSX.

Read through the forums because I reckon this scenario has already been done by someone.

ok i wiped my hard drive completely though, and now when i try to boot iatkos or hazards i get kernel panics all over, like (cpu 0 caller 0x000000) or something. and i noticed that when booting, right before the kernal panic theres a message EFI string NULL something like that

ok i wiped my hard drive completely though, and now when i try to boot iatkos or hazards i get kernel panics all over, like (cpu 0 caller 0x000000) or something. and i noticed that when booting, right before the kernal panic theres a message EFI string NULL something like that

to be able to really help you, you need to post your complete hardware.

I've been running Windows 7 (64bit) and OSX 10.6.3 (32bit) on one hdd. If you have iATKOS S3 v2 you can install this without problems. You can go either way, Win7 first and then OSX (chameleon bootloader will pick up win7) or OSX first and then Win7 (tboot will pick up OSX partition and you can use in windows bootloader).

Note that there are NO gma950 64 bit drivers. you won't get qe/ci in 64bit and may have problems running in native resolution. So you would have to run this in 32bit - no difference anyway unless you want to run maya in 64 bit.

here are some hints.

give us your complete hardware info and I will let you know what to check in iATKOS S3 v2.

tgd.

im sorry i was mistaken when i said intel gma 950, i ment gm 650 lol. i got confused i apologize. i took screenshots with cpu-z of my hardware, anything specific that you need to know ill get it for you.

post-647253-1280274201_thumb.png post-647253-1280274208_thumb.png post-647253-1280274215_thumb.png

im sorry i was mistaken when i said intel gma 950, i ment gm 650 lol. i got confused i apologize. i took screenshots with cpu-z of my hardware, anything specific that you need to know ill get it for you.

ok, that's a Mobile Intel GM965 Express chipset with with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100. if you search for kexts for gma965 you won't find anything. There are kexts in iATKOS for the X1300. Is this a dell inspiron 1420?

I do not have the entire iATKOS S3 checklist right now. you can help me if you find what options and kexts can be checked and I will let you know which ones to check. the less you chose the better. I'd say only choose chameleon rc4 and the graphics kext for the X1300, leave everything else on default (whatever is checked except the chameleon rc4, iATKOS has something different as default for the bootloader).

edit1: also, it is critical you have S3 v2, otherwise you will have problems with the 965 chipset and iATKOS. see here.

edit2: the list of install options is here. I will take a look at it once you tell me which notebook you got (Inspiron 1420?) and let you know what to check.

edit3: after install is successful the next steps are sound, ethernet, wireless. we need the info on each of them before we can help.

tgd

ok, that's a Mobile Intel GM965 Express chipset with with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100. if you search for kexts for gma965 you won't find anything. There are kexts in iATKOS for the X1300. Is this a dell inspiron 1420?

I do not have the entire iATKOS S3 checklist right now. you can help me if you find what options and kexts can be checked and I will let you know which ones to check. the less you chose the better. I'd say only choose chameleon rc4 and the graphics kext for the X1300, leave everything else on default (whatever is checked except the chameleon rc4, iATKOS has something different as default for the bootloader).

edit1: also, it is critical you have S3 v2, otherwise you will have problems with the 965 chipset and iATKOS. see here.

edit2: the list of install options is here. I will take a look at it once you tell me which notebook you got (Inspiron 1420?) and let you know what to check.

edit3: after install is successful the next steps are sound, ethernet, wireless. we need the info on each of them before we can help.

tgd

indeed i have an inspiron 1420, my sound is a sigmatel, and both wireless and wired is broadcom i think. so i think voodoo hd for sound right? and broadcom kexts for networks. im patching the iso at the moment, i did have v1 after checking the md5s. the download links said v2 tho, my fault for not checking the hash.

indeed i have an inspiron 1420, my sound is a sigmatel, and both wireless and wired is broadcom i think. so i think voodoo hd for sound right? and broadcom kexts for networks. im patching the iso at the moment, i did have v1 after checking the md5s. the download links said v2 tho, my fault for not checking the hash.

ok, your kps are likely related to using v1. you will probably have no problems with v2. here is what I would check:

- bootloader:

- - chameleon v2 rc4

- bootloader options:

- - none

- patches:

leave everything that is checked by default and don't add anything

- drivers

- - main hardware

- - - sound

- - - - voodoo hda

do not check both apple and voodoo.

- - - ps/2

- - - - voodoo ps2

this is important, otherwise your mouse and keyboard may not work

- - - laptop hardware

- - - - TSC Sync

note, you got a Dell which are prone to CPU timing problems. I am not sure if this is true for yours as well. I suggest you leave this unchecked first. if you notice stuttering and choppy GUI go into bios and set it to use only one core. then download the TSC Sync kext from my post above, install, reboot and then set bios back to both cores.

- - VGA

- - - Intel

- - - - GMA X3100 Framebuffer

- - Network

you need to determine which broadcom you have. Also, are you sure you do not have an Intel wireless or a dell. those are normally the ones that are used by Dell.

once you have OSX installed and you install win7 on a second partition on the same hdd you will not see anything of your OSX installation. you need to use tboot and create a boot.ini (obsolete in win7, but will pick up tboot and inject in win7 bootloader).

everything explained here

good luck

ok, your kps are likely related to using v1. you will probably have no problems with v2. here is what I would check:

- bootloader:

- - chameleon v2 rc4

- bootloader options:

- - none

- patches:

leave everything that is checked by default and don't add anything

- drivers

- - main hardware

- - - sound

- - - - voodoo hda

do not check both apple and voodoo.

- - - ps/2

- - - - voodoo ps2

this is important, otherwise your mouse and keyboard may not work

- - - laptop hardware

- - - - TSC Sync

note, you got a Dell which are prone to CPU timing problems. I am not sure if this is true for yours as well. I suggest you leave this unchecked first. if you notice stuttering and choppy GUI go into bios and set it to use only one core. then download the TSC Sync kext from my post above, install, reboot and then set bios back to both cores.

- - VGA

- - - Intel

- - - - GMA X3100 Framebuffer

- - Network

you need to determine which broadcom you have. Also, are you sure you do not have an Intel wireless or a dell. those are normally the ones that are used by Dell.

once you have OSX installed and you install win7 on a second partition on the same hdd you will not see anything of your OSX installation. you need to use tboot and create a boot.ini (obsolete in win7, but will pick up tboot and inject in win7 bootloader).

everything explained here

good luck

i successfully install snow leopard on a partition, but now if i try to boot snow leopard it says you need to restart your computer hoklding down power button and until shut down etc. on a white apple logo screen with a gray box. when i boot windows 7, it says BOOTMGR is missing, press cntl + alt + delete to restart. i might have done something wrong because i installed windows 7 first, then made a second partition and used disk utility in iatkos to format to mac osx journaled instead of how you suggested to install snow leopard and then install windows on a second partition

edit: i realised the boot is system reserved for windows 7 and no longer get BOOTMGR problem, but i still get this when i try to boot snow leopard

106227_2.jpg

i successfully install snow leopard on a partition, but now if i try to boot snow leopard it says you need to restart your computer hoklding down power button and until shut down etc. on a white apple logo screen with a gray box. when i boot windows 7, it says BOOTMGR is missing, press cntl + alt + delete to restart. i might have done something wrong because i installed windows 7 first, then made a second partition and used disk utility in iatkos to format to mac osx journaled instead of how you suggested to install snow leopard and then install windows on a second partition

edit: i realised the boot is system reserved for windows 7 and no longer get BOOTMGR problem, but i still get this when i try to boot snow leopard

does it boot into the system and then gives an error or does it do this while it's booting?

you need to boot in verbose mode. at the darwin prompt type -v. that will show you where it gets stuck. if you don't see the darwin prompt hit F8 when booting into SL, that will give you the prompt. you may also want to try to boot into safe mode via -x. If that works you can remove the culprit. I cross my fingers for you.

• 2 weeks later...
does it boot into the system and then gives an error or does it do this while it's booting?

you need to boot in verbose mode. at the darwin prompt type -v. that will show you where it gets stuck. if you don't see the darwin prompt hit F8 when booting into SL, that will give you the prompt. you may also want to try to boot into safe mode via -x. If that works you can remove the culprit. I cross my fingers for you.

i was on "vacation" sorry lol, booting -v or -x does not help, and i get a panic when its booting some files you can see in verbose boot, -x same thing

• 3 weeks later...
i was on "vacation" sorry lol, booting -v or -x does not help, and i get a panic when its booting some files you can see in verbose boot, -x same thing

sorry for the silence. I completely forgot about this topic.

which bootmanager are you using? please try chameleon rc5

I have no idea why yours is not working. I can only imagine that the bootloader is not loading properly and the kernel is giving you havoc. another thing to try is a patched kernel. this is for 10.5.3

btw. I remember I got kps when I did not check EVO Reboot under Patches.

also, have you tried to force it to boot into 32bit? at the darwin prompt type arch=i386 (try this first)