(Guide) How to install 10.6.3 Snow Leopard on GA-EP35-DS3R using iAtkos S3 ver.2 [ALC889a]

UcaUca

7 posts in this topic

Servus everybody!

This is going to be my first tutorial. Do not hesitate to ask me if you don't understand my english ;)

I want to show you a very simple way (cause i'm also very lazy), to install SL 10.6.3. Actually everything runs out of the box. The Motherboard is not the newest one, but i think there are still a couple of them out there. The onboard Network controller will also run immediately without doing anything to it.

Let's talk about my specs:

Gigabyte EP35-DS3R

Intel Core2Duo 3,06 Ghz

Gainward 9500GT 1024MB passive

4 GB RAM

Some Harddrives :)

and some additional basic stuff

You need for this: iAtkos S3 version 2 (10.6.3)

Just in case you have a natively supported NVIDIA Card, you should do very well by selecting NVENABLER. I also got my card running very well by using EFI Studio with the 9800GT String. I that case you won't need NVENABLER (but as we know, I'm lazy and i love OB). For everything else you can watch the attached Video and do the same selections, with your personal tweaks.

[ATTENTION]

There is one mistake in the Video. In the Audio Panel, do not select AppleHDA. Select VoodooHDA.

After installation, your system should boot directly without SafeMode.

My ALC889A Soundcard is attached to my Amplifier via SPDIF! You have to do the following steps, to make it work:

First:

System Prefs > Sound > Output > Select SPDIF OUT (Orange rear) [there won't be sound now, watch step two]

Second:

Applications > Utilitys > Audio MIDI Setup > SPDIF-out > Do the following settings: Format 48000 Hz / 2ch-16 bit

This setting should work on any Amplifier with SPDIF in. You can experiment with the settings.

I will update this guide when sleep mode is running. Do not hesitate to improve my guide or to ask me to add specific details.

Good luck,

Uca

iAtkos_Select.MOV

I have the same motherboard, I just used the retail installation method, have everything working apart from sleep, it won't resume from sleep. I've tried sleepenabler.kext but that broke my installation and had to start over! Other than that all runs perfectly on 10.6.4.

This was the method I used:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

If you get sleep working properly please update!

hi sh33r,

thank you for the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. I'm trying it right now. First attempt was succesfull already, right now i'm fine tuning!

did you see this thread?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186570

i tried the dsdt and it really works great. i will update my guide and add my [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] settings with DSDT and kexts.

good night,

uca

UcaUca, I checked out that thread previously, its what I looked at the first time for kexts and the DSDT. Most of the threads regarding this motherboard say that to enable sleep to work properly use the sleepenabler kext and the openhaltrestart kext, but the only thing is when I use the sleepenabler kext I get a KP on boot, have you have any luck yet?

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Thanks for your tutorial.

How did you manage to make the network working?

I also need drivers for my ATI 5450 and I don't know what to select...

I guess that I need to find separate package for both of them... ?

Thanks for your tutorial.

How did you manage to make the network working?

I also need drivers for my ATI 5450 and I don't know what to select...

I guess that I need to find separate package for both of them... ?

Network's workin' doing nothing. For graphic I tried to apply the combo update 10.6.8. With options -x -v pmVersion=0 I can boot and my resolution is 1900*1200 but w/o that, I have a sleepenable kernel panic :)

I also tried to update the sleepenabler kext w/o success. I tried option pmVersion=21 or pmVersion=23 but I still get the kernel panic.