10.6 wrong bootloader kernel but works as DVD boot

Skyy

7 posts in this topic

So today I successfully managed to install SL 10.6.3 with the help of iAtkos S3 v2.

Everything works fine but one thing:

I installed the default iAtkos AsereBLN bootloader onto my drive, however as soon as I choose to boot SL my PC reboots which means it tried to load a wrong Kernel for my AMD system.

Now the funny thing: The iAtkos S3 itself also has a AsereBLN loader to load the setup but if I press F8 I can also choose that the DVD boots the SL from my HDD, that way I can successfully boot my installed SL.

So obviously the DVD AsereBLN has another kernel set as default.

My question now, how can I find out what the DVD AsereBLN loader does different from my HDD AsereBLN loader? I assume it just chains a MACH_ string but I don't know what exactly I should try and always booting with the DVD in drive is quite a pain.

Thanks in advance!

I went through the same problem.

Just copy the file /mack_kernel from the DVD on your HDD.

That's all.

Thanks I figured it was something that simple! Just where on the DVD do I find it? I opened the iAtkos DVD with Pacifist and found a mach_kernel file, not mack_kernel, all other kernel files are just the qoopz and other custom kernels.

Yes, you are correct, it's mach_kernel and not mack_kernel, sorry for the typo !

It's located at the root level of the install DVD, and you should copy it at the root of your hard-drive.

Thanks for the reply! Trying this atm, but there's already a hidden mach_kernel in my HDD root, shell I simply overwrite it?

EDIT: To be safe I renamed the DVD kernel mach_kernel.2 and entered the following in my bootloader:

mach_kernel.2 arch=i386

I see Apple logo for a split second and then my PC still reboots. What's wrong here? :)

It's the only thing that keeps my Hackintosh from being perfect :(

And thanks in advance!

Is there a newer version of that boot loader available? I had a similar issue between Chameleon rc3 and my kernel, once I updated to rc4 it went away. Just a suggestion.

Thanks but I figured it out!^^

For some reason all Kernels I copied from the DVD weren't seen as Unix Executable Files so I simply downloaded a Modbin Kernel from http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/09/install...-pc-hackintosh/ and boom it worked^^