Skype 2.1 released - viable alternative app for phone calls in iOS4

Ed

4 posts in this topic

skypelogo2dot1.jpgSkype has released version 2.1 of its iPhone application and has taken full advantage of iOS4's multitasking capabilities with the ability to run in the background, meaning users can now pick up calls and messages whilst in other applications.

The update is free, and multitasking is supported in iOS 4 on the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.

I updated my 4 and 3GS and the backgrounding of skype seems to run smooth once you have the little green dot signifying that the call quality is good. Would have been nice of Skype to use the front facing camera for video chats but they didn't integrate it in this update.

Never know you might see it sooner or later...

Yeah but it's going to cost money. I use Skype and was quite disappointed when I got that notification saying they would start charging money on Skype mobile. I certainly hope they don't start charging money on Skype desktop.

they don't charge for PC-PC calling nor will they in the near future

and I was reading on engadget (This link here) that it will be put off (on the iPhone platform) until 2011ish so it will still be free until that time. As it is now though Skype mobile is still free but I'm hoping that it does stay free till they come out with a video calling mobile version of it