How to install osx86 in virtual box, on HP dv6700!

Best way to virtualize OS X  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Virtual Box

• Vmware server
    • PearPC
    • Other

2 posts in this topic

I have finally gotten to see what it is like to use OS X (10.5.5) thanks to the new version of Vbox (3.2.6 PUEL).

I am on a HP DV6700 series (dv6929wm to be exact). I used iPC 10.5.5 to install in virtual box on windows 7 ultimate (32 bit).

Here is what I did....

grabbed iPC iso. Burnt to a dvd.

Downloaded and installed VirtualBox 3.2.6 PUEL edition.

Created a new virtual machine... if you start typing in OS X, then OS X server edition defaults as OS type.

Created a new 40 GB (I hear 20GB is enough, but given that OS X uses free disk space as virtual memory I gave it more) static hard drive (dynamically expanding will work as well, but supposedly static gives better performance).

The settings I used are:

System: 1500MB Base Memory

Processors: 1 (I hear this is the best option, anyone have any more info on this option related to dual core cpus?)

vt-x/amd-v: enabled. (I heard disabling this might make it run faster, but when I tried it I got some warning message, instead of reading it, I powered off the VM and switched it back)

Nested Paging: enabled

DISPLAY:

Video memory: 128 MB

3d acceleration: enabled

2d acceleration: disabled (supposedly unsupported in VB)

STORAGE:

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }

IDE Controller

IDE Primary Master:

MacOSX.vdi (Normal, 40.00 GB)

IDE Secondary Master (CD/DVD):

Host Drive 'D:'

AUDIO:

HOST DRIVER: Windows Direct Sound

controller: ICH AC97

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } Network

Adapter 1:

Intel PRO/1000 T Server (NAT)

As for install options, I chose the voodoo kernel, the MCP67 chipset kext, and an nvidia kext but cannot remember which one.

So far, wireless works (pretty sure that is just a given :D

audio can work with this: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30843

Screen Res is stuck at 1024 x 768 (though there may be a terminal work around)

USB works, sort of. Still haven't figured out what makes it work/not work... no big deal for me right now.

I did notice that downloading the Animal coloring book from apple's download section at first gave a kernel panic. I ended up having to replace seatbelt.kext with the 10.5.5 version, can't remember the kext version. After that, I could mount DMG's, and it does good, except the original DMG, the animal coloring book, will not load. Yummie soup and every thing else does though.

So, I guess my next step is to dramatically improve performance. I am on 4GB ram (32 bit Win7, so actually only 3GB) and a 250 GB hd, my cpu I believe is somewhere around 2.5GHz...

So, there is my first contribution to the OSX86 community, if you can call it that, lol.

If anyone happens to figure out how to get better performance, let me know.

Also, which would give better compatibility and performance out of the box (vbox or vmware server), or which commerical software would do better running os x on windows?

Hope this was at least helpful to somebody!

• 11 months later...

How are you running today ? Still VM or did you switch to a full install ?

I have finally gotten to see what it is like to use OS X (10.5.5) thanks to the new version of Vbox (3.2.6 PUEL).

I am on a HP DV6700 series (dv6929wm to be exact). I used iPC 10.5.5 to install in virtual box on windows 7 ultimate (32 bit).

Here is what I did....

grabbed iPC iso. Burnt to a dvd.

Downloaded and installed VirtualBox 3.2.6 PUEL edition.

Created a new virtual machine... if you start typing in OS X, then OS X server edition defaults as OS type.

Created a new 40 GB (I hear 20GB is enough, but given that OS X uses free disk space as virtual memory I gave it more) static hard drive (dynamically expanding will work as well, but supposedly static gives better performance).

The settings I used are:

System: 1500MB Base Memory

Processors: 1 (I hear this is the best option, anyone have any more info on this option related to dual core cpus?)

vt-x/amd-v: enabled. (I heard disabling this might make it run faster, but when I tried it I got some warning message, instead of reading it, I powered off the VM and switched it back)

Nested Paging: enabled

DISPLAY:

Video memory: 128 MB

3d acceleration: enabled

2d acceleration: disabled (supposedly unsupported in VB)

STORAGE:

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }

IDE Controller

IDE Primary Master:

MacOSX.vdi (Normal, 40.00 GB)

IDE Secondary Master (CD/DVD):

Host Drive 'D:'

AUDIO:

HOST DRIVER: Windows Direct Sound

controller: ICH AC97

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } Network

Adapter 1:

Intel PRO/1000 T Server (NAT)

As for install options, I chose the voodoo kernel, the MCP67 chipset kext, and an nvidia kext but cannot remember which one.

So far, wireless works (pretty sure that is just a given :D

audio can work with this: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30843

Screen Res is stuck at 1024 x 768 (though there may be a terminal work around)

USB works, sort of. Still haven't figured out what makes it work/not work... no big deal for me right now.

I did notice that downloading the Animal coloring book from apple's download section at first gave a kernel panic. I ended up having to replace seatbelt.kext with the 10.5.5 version, can't remember the kext version. After that, I could mount DMG's, and it does good, except the original DMG, the animal coloring book, will not load. Yummie soup and every thing else does though.

So, I guess my next step is to dramatically improve performance. I am on 4GB ram (32 bit Win7, so actually only 3GB) and a 250 GB hd, my cpu I believe is somewhere around 2.5GHz...

So, there is my first contribution to the OSX86 community, if you can call it that, lol.

If anyone happens to figure out how to get better performance, let me know.

Also, which would give better compatibility and performance out of the box (vbox or vmware server), or which commerical software would do better running os x on windows?

Hope this was at least helpful to somebody!