Open Call: MSI X58 Pro-E, i7-930, wake from sleep R.I.P?

11 posts in this topic

Okay hive brain, let's see if someone's got a solution to this.

I've been running a sweet, near-perfect Stella/Lifehacker rig -- UD3P, Q6600, 8600GT, OC'd to 3.4GHz, everything worked perfectly. Onboard audio, onboard LAN, Time Machine, and most importantly (to me), SLEEP. As in, you put this thing to sleep manually, or let PleaseSleep tuck it in for you, and it goes right to sleep until you press the power button and it wakes up right where you left off. Beautiful. Made me so happy.

But of course we always have to chase whatever Apple's got the latest lineup. So, Core-i7. Micro Center ran a $199 sale on the i7-930, couldn't resist. On the rec of a friend and OSX86 luminary, I picked up an MSI Pro-E X58 (not the USB-3 version), and threw in a 650W Antec and a new GTS250 too. This was going to be a monster for what I do, which is primarily video/photo editing.

Getting the new rig up and running was not a problem. There are several ways to get the MSI and i7-930 to run SL, all of them can be found here. I chose the simplest route: Chameleon RC4, a few kexts (fakeSMC, ev0reboot), and a DSDT to get HPET/speedstep working. Software Update got me to 10.6.4 no problem, all is well.

Except sleep.

It's driving me nuts. The system will go to sleep manually and even automatically, but it will not resume upon wake. Everything comes back on except the DVI monitor (plugged into the port closest to the motherboard), and the system isn't really awake again because it fails to show up on the network.

I've tried swapping out ev0reboot for openhalterestart. I've tried dicking with DSDT. I've tried every sleepenabler kext out there. I've tried booting into 32-bit kernel, 64-bit kernel. Disconnecting my optical drive. I've tried bringing my OC down a bit, after reading on some MSI forum that S3 sleep works on this board if the system clock is kept below 166. None of it fixes the problem.

I spend weeks slamming issues like this by myself, trawling the boards for a solution. Last thing I want to do it come whining to you guys every time I have a hangnail. But I must admit I'm out of ideas here.

If anyone here has this motherboard and is enjoying wake from sleep, I would love to hear how you did it. I love everything about this new Hac Pro except having to shut it down and boot it up all the time. With a 3.8GHz OC, it idles at 125W and I don't feel right leaving it on all the time. I'm the guy who underclocks/volts his E3300/G31M-ES2L server so it only pulls 30W 24/7.

I'm all ears. Anyone?

Okay hive brain, let's see if someone's got a solution to this.

I've been running a sweet, near-perfect Stella/Lifehacker rig -- UD3P, Q6600, 8600GT, OC'd to 3.4GHz, everything worked perfectly. Onboard audio, onboard LAN, Time Machine, and most importantly (to me), SLEEP. As in, you put this thing to sleep manually, or let PleaseSleep tuck it in for you, and it goes right to sleep until you press the power button and it wakes up right where you left off. Beautiful. Made me so happy.

But of course we always have to chase whatever Apple's got the latest lineup. So, Core-i7. Micro Center ran a $199 sale on the i7-930, couldn't resist. On the rec of a friend and OSX86 luminary, I picked up an MSI Pro-E X58 (not the USB-3 version), and threw in a 650W Antec and a new GTS250 too. This was going to be a monster for what I do, which is primarily video/photo editing.

Getting the new rig up and running was not a problem. There are several ways to get the MSI and i7-930 to run SL, all of them can be found here. I chose the simplest route: Chameleon RC4, a few kexts (fakeSMC, ev0reboot), and a DSDT to get HPET/speedstep working. Software Update got me to 10.6.4 no problem, all is well.

Except sleep.

It's driving me nuts. The system will go to sleep manually and even automatically, but it will not resume upon wake. Everything comes back on except the DVI monitor (plugged into the port closest to the motherboard), and the system isn't really awake again because it fails to show up on the network.

I've tried swapping out ev0reboot for openhalterestart. I've tried dicking with DSDT. I've tried every sleepenabler kext out there. I've tried booting into 32-bit kernel, 64-bit kernel. Disconnecting my optical drive. I've tried bringing my OC down a bit, after reading on some MSI forum that S3 sleep works on this board if the system clock is kept below 166. None of it fixes the problem.

I spend weeks slamming issues like this by myself, trawling the boards for a solution. Last thing I want to do it come whining to you guys every time I have a hangnail. But I must admit I'm out of ideas here.

If anyone here has this motherboard and is enjoying wake from sleep, I would love to hear how you did it. I love everything about this new Hac Pro except having to shut it down and boot it up all the time. With a 3.8GHz OC, it idles at 125W and I don't feel right leaving it on all the time. I'm the guy who underclocks/volts his E3300/G31M-ES2L server so it only pulls 30W 24/7.

I'm all ears. Anyone?

+1

I'm using sleepenabler.kext, but it ends up rebooting in stead of resuming from sleep. I don't have the "start up automatically after power failure" option that others seem to have.

I do have the start up after power failure option, and it's ticked, but it doesn't seem to matter. Wake after sleep just isn't in the cards for this board, it seems. I see lots of Win users on various fora having the same issue. Apparently if you don't OC, you get working sleep. But what's the point of running the 930 at stock clock? Might as well fire up my D945GCLF and bask in that Atomy goodness.

+1

I'm using sleepenabler.kext, but it ends up rebooting in stead of resuming from sleep. I don't have the "start up automatically after power failure" option that others seem to have.

I do have the start up after power failure option, and it's ticked, but it doesn't seem to matter. Wake after sleep just isn't in the cards for this board, it seems. I see lots of Win users on various fora having the same issue. Apparently if you don't OC, you get working sleep. But what's the point of running the 930 at stock clock? Might as well fire up my D945GCLF and bask in that Atomy goodness.

Haha, yeah I gotcha. My x58 Pro-E got damaged, and the refurbished one that MSI sent me doesn't overclock. Mine wakes find in Windows 7, but not on here. Just out of curiosity, what do your /Extra/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions have in them that you've added. Which guide did you follow? I'm stumped as to why my firewire isn't working.

P.S. Have you tried changing the mode to S3 and change the controller for sleep to OS (not bios) in the BIOS?

E/E: fakesmc, evoreboot, jmicron36xATA

S/L/E: voodoohda, applehda from 10.6.2

I don't have FW enabled, never need it anymore.

No guide, just accrued knowledge and some help from a friend who put together a similar rig. Nothing mysterious, just Chameleon RC4, the above kexts, and a properly patched DSDT. I used the new DSDTeditor, much better than DSDTSE.

Haha, yeah I gotcha. My x58 Pro-E got damaged, and the refurbished one that MSI sent me doesn't overclock. Mine wakes find in Windows 7, but not on here. Just out of curiosity, what do your /Extra/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions have in them that you've added. Which guide did you follow? I'm stumped as to why my firewire isn't working.

P.S. Have you tried changing the mode to S3 and change the controller for sleep to OS (not bios) in the BIOS?

Any chance that you could upload your DSDT for me? I'm trying to figure out how to edit mine, but I'm a little confused. Once I add the dsdt file, I can start elminating kexts, right?

E/E: fakesmc, evoreboot, jmicron36xATA

S/L/E: voodoohda, applehda from 10.6.2

I don't have FW enabled, never need it anymore.

No guide, just accrued knowledge and some help from a friend who put together a similar rig. Nothing mysterious, just Chameleon RC4, the above kexts, and a properly patched DSDT. I used the new DSDTeditor, much better than DSDTSE.

Any chance that you could upload your DSDT for me? I'm trying to figure out how to edit mine, but I'm a little confused. Once I add the dsdt file, I can start elminating kexts, right?

I'd love to help you with this but it's been my experience that simply sharing someone's DSDT they specifically compiled on their Hack can cause lots of problems, even if the systems seem to be using identical parts. You're much better off pulling DSDT off your own rig with DSDTeditor, patching it with the appropriate patches, and then recompiling it and saving to your E folder.

DSDT seems to be one of the least well understood areas of Hackintoshing. The new editor helps simplify the process but in the end you're still trusting that the guy who wrote the patches knows what he's doing AND that the patches are compatible with your particular setup. Get it wrong and your system won't boot. I think my current DSDT is mostly good but I know there are still a few holes left to patch. That's why you're much better off compiling your own. Good luck.

I gotcha. It's a pity that no one's conquered sleep :)

The guides that I've seen for DSDT leave something to be desired. There's definitely a gap in my understanding of how to patch it. I thought that looking at the guides beside your DSDT and mine would help me understand.

I'm happy with the few kexts that I have to use.

I'd love to help you with this but it's been my experience that simply sharing someone's DSDT they specifically compiled on their Hack can cause lots of problems, even if the systems seem to be using identical parts. You're much better off pulling DSDT off your own rig with DSDTeditor, patching it with the appropriate patches, and then recompiling it and saving to your E folder.

DSDT seems to be one of the least well understood areas of Hackintoshing. The new editor helps simplify the process but in the end you're still trusting that the guy who wrote the patches knows what he's doing AND that the patches are compatible with your particular setup. Get it wrong and your system won't boot. I think my current DSDT is mostly good but I know there are still a few holes left to patch. That's why you're much better off compiling your own. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I haven't had any luck with sleep on this board, either. Unfortunately, SleepEnabler for 10.6.4 does not work. On the bright side, at least sleep doesn't nuke the CMOS - a restart/poweroff will do a normal reboot. I suspect it may have something to do with that weird "4MB" RAM in the memory pane:

http://i.imgur.com/EvQqm.png

I wonder if this is the BIOS or something. I've seen this show up on other MSI boards. It shows up as 4MB DDR2-800.

• 2 weeks later...

I love that we're going back and forth on this issue on Twitter, in email, and now here. It's like Inception except without the Piaf ringtone.

I get that phantom 4MB RAM showing up on my Pro-E/930 rig too. The first time I booted into SL after installing the OS, I got a memory profile error message saying my memory wasn't installed in the right slots, even though it is according to MSI's manual. 3 sticks of 2GB DDR3, each in a black RAM slot, leaving the 3 blue slots empty. The error message is included herein:

ram.pdf

My rig shows no signs of slowdown, BTW. If anything, it's the most blazingest Mac I've ever worked with, mine or anyone else's, especially since I recently swapped the aging 1TB Seagate boot drive for a G.Skill Phoenix Pro 128GB SSD.

Given that the attached report makes no sense at all (it shows 12 possible RAM slots, the MSI Pro-E X58 only has 6), I'm loathe to start moving RAM around. But maybe you're right, you pretty much always are. Maybe it's the RAM that's messing with S3 sleep and that final 1% of imperfection dogging this monster of a Snow board.

I haven't had any luck with sleep on this board, either. Unfortunately, SleepEnabler for 10.6.4 does not work. On the bright side, at least sleep doesn't nuke the CMOS - a restart/poweroff will do a normal reboot. I suspect it may have something to do with that weird "4MB" RAM in the memory pane:

http://i.imgur.com/EvQqm.png

I wonder if this is the BIOS or something. I've seen this show up on other MSI boards. It shows up as 4MB DDR2-800.

• 4 months later...