i5 Hackintosh for under $900... Need help from a veteran hackintosher. Found the GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P through a newegg wishlist search. Not on Wiki?

3 posts in this topic

Just curious if someone with experience could look over the below build. I looked through the wiki for matches, but just to be sure that I'm not getting to far in over my head. I'm pretty decent with html, and I've built a couple computers before. So, If there are any stability issues, or other issues that might be foreseen with the install part. Your advice is greatly appreciated. I didn't see the board on the wiki, but I found it through a newegg public wishlist search for Hackintosh. Hackintosh.gif

If anyone has any suggestions please don't hesitate to chime in. I would like to ultimately be able to run Final Cut studio, on Snowleopard. Not sure if the 6gb/s is supported or if there is anything special to do for it to work, but I think with that and the i5 intel. The machine should be screaming :P for the price.... So far at $842... I already have a case, and fans, and such. Also, does anyone know if Bootcamp runs with Hackintosh... I'll search again. Should find something about it.

Ok.

First of all, congratulations on your new system. We all know how good it feels setting a new hackmack rig up and I share your enthousiasm.

Secondly and on to the main parts. I personally set up OSX the Kakewalk method (check the forums under OSX installation) and I am very very VERY happy with this installation method (touch wood). I've been running OSX for 5 months straight with no issues what-so-ever, with completely non-problematic updates etc. etc.

1. So, as a rule of thumb, if the mainboard is compatible with Kakewalk, I would be happy and relaxed that everything would work almost out of the box.

2. PSU - 750W for a non-i7 system I believe is an overkill. You can save money and go for a 550W or even 600W that can take you through to i7 systems later on.

3. GPU - I would go for Nvidia because it it directly supported by apple as all latest macs use Nvidia

That's all mate. I think you can save up a bit more money and still have a great system.

Best wishes

SATA 3 and USB 3 are not supported under OS X currently. You will be able to use the P55A-UD4P, it's a very common board over at TonyMacX86 - you might want to check that out, that site has a good install method for P55-based hackintoshes.

Your GPU is fine - the 4870 will work. NVIDIA has a little less trouble, but not enough to change IMO and ATI's cards are better with OpenGL and similar under OS X.

Agreed about the PSU, I have a 4890, three hard drives, and a Core i7 running on a 500W PSU.