Chaning Monitor Resolutions?

3 posts in this topic

I know that their is probably not a simple answer to this, and yes, I am a complete n00b to Mac OS. I stopped using Mac about 7 years ago, when my 6100/66 (hehehe) could no longer fulfill my want for gamage. I am now trying to make MacOSX my primary OS again, but I feel lost as to the technical side of it.

Anyways, my setup is as follows:

Mac OSX 10.4.3

Radeon X800 pro

Running on SSE2 instructions

The only option for resolution for me is 1024x768. How do I enable higher resolutions? Im used to 1600 res in Windoze mode, so for me this is quite an eye adjustment.

Do I some how have to install "monitor drivers" as it were to unlock the resolutions? Or is this thinking like a PC?

Help meeeeee

Ps. Many thanks

You should look into Omni's Callisto framebuffer driver. I'm not sure if it works with x100 series cards. Another option is to get an x1600 card, which can work with Apple's own drivers since it's the same card that's in all current Intel Macs.

From my experiences, there are two options. They are the following:

1) A quick, but temporary, fix: When you boot, tap the necessary key to add boot flags (I think it may be F8, not sure) and at the prompt before you boot, type:

"Graphics Mode" = "1280x1024x32"

You should replace the 1280x1024 with the resolution of your choice. This is well documented in the forums. Keep in mind that this will only work on a once-per-boot basis. For a more permanant fix, select option number two.

2) In OSX, drill down to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist . You should use the GUI to do this (don't use Terminal). Drag this file to your Desktop and open it with TextEdit. You'll need to add a graphics mode line. Following is what my com.apple.boot.plist file looks like.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Again, modify this for your own resolution. After you've made the change, remember, that's only on the desktop. Now, you need to drag your newly patched plist file back into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. When you do this, you will be asked to authenticate. Enter your password and then you'll be notified that you're about to replace a file with another one. Continue on and then you can close that window. Finally, cross your fingers and reboot your machine. With any luck, when you boot next time, you'll have the resolution of your choice.

I hope that helps you.

-AJ

www.ajthau.com