[Solved] Graphics don't work after first reboot

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have a peculiar problem with my OS86-Installation.

I'm using iAtkos S3 v2 on a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook S7110:

Core2Duo T5500

Intel GMA945 (950).

Using Anval Bootloader.

After the installation the computer boots up fine.

I can see the Welcome-Video and everything seems to be

working apart from WiFi and Ethernet (though this is not an

issue right now, as i haven't tried to get them running yet).

When I reboot the OS seems to load, but the screen turns

to something blurry - first it goes blank, then on with a dark

blue which turns into a lighter blue and white.

At some point the OS seems to be loaded - I can see the

colours of the wallpaper and when i move the mouse, i can

see the pointer as a vertical line.

When i boot with an external display connected, i can see

the wallpaper, but no dock and also i'm not able to move the

mouse on the screen.

I could make a video, if it helps.

So basically: everything works at first boot and then the display

stops working on the second boot.

i have already tried a lot: -x and -v and -s. Nothing works.

Could this be related to the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext?

I think it could be a problem with the resolution.

I have re-installed 20x or more by now and tried several things.

I tried installing with the following patches/drivers activated and

deactivated in different constellations: Natit, GraphicEnabler, EFI-String,

GMA950kexts, 32-Bit boot.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

That is video problem. YTou will need to look in tis forum for a solution to the graphics card. Meanwhile you can work in VGA mode.

Do the following:

- boot in single user mode -s

- mount -uw /

- cd /system/library/extensions

- mv NVDAResman.kext ../

- sync

- reboot

After the reboot you will have VGA capabilities (can watch a movie so forth) but it will allow you to work in the PC, get kexts (drivers) for the lan and wireless, etc (if these aren't functional yet) and a graphics card kext solution.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

I will try that later on. If that helps to keep me from reinstalling that would make it so much easier to test more/other Kexts, though I'm at a point where I begin to think that I have already tested all of them ;-)

Do you have any idea why it works directly after the installation and after that not anymore? Or a clue where i should start analyzing?

Edit: I tried the commands, but the screen stays fuzzy.

But I just found out something interesting: when booting with the external display connected, i get a dual-screen. The external display is fine and i can even see the mouse-pointer, the laptop-display stays distorted. When switching between dual and single display via the function key on the laptop, both screens get distorted.

Edit2: I read in a thread that someone installs using the external display only and that the internal would work after installation. So I reinstalled using the external display.

The results were the same. After installation: perfect, first reboot: fail.

But another interesting discovery: If I force a shutdown (powerbutton) during the first setup with the welcome video, the video will show up again and again. No matter how often I reboot. How can this be possible? What are the changes that are made during the first boot?

So i got it running somehow now. But the solution isn't perfect yet.

When booting with an external display connected, the screen on the external display is fine. So i started a finder-window with the hotkey and somehow fished it onto the external display. Then i started system preferences and got that window on the good screen too. i was now able to change the resolution for the internal display to 1024x768 and everything looked fine on both screens. As soon as i disconnect the external display, OSX notices this and changes back to my previous problem of the fuzzy screen.

Any ideas? Is there a hotkey to change the resolution.

I tried booting with "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32", but unfortunately this didn't work.

you need the "AAPL,HasPanel" and "model"

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n
{\n
	Store (Package (0x04)\n
	{\n
		"AAPL,HasPanel", \n
           Buffer (0x04)\n
           {\n
               0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00\n
           },\n
		"model", \n
           Buffer (0x07)\n
           {\n
             "GMA950"\n
           }\n
		}, Local0)\n
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))\n
Return (Local0)\n
}

Apply the Patch GMA950 Lap

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1506551

Use DSDT Editor and Patcher

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...223205&st=0

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Unfortunately that didn't help.

I'm pretty noob to OS86, so i'm not sure whether i've done everything correctly.

When i choose the "Extract from system" option (in DSDT Editor/Patcher) I can see the new entry for the GMA950 though, which wasn't there before. By the way: i also needed the DTGP patch. Had to reinstall once again, because i just deleted the faulty line in the code the first time hehe

Edit: something i just thought of. i tried it on a device of the same series, but later make/build and the display looks similar, but not fuzzy. Meaning: default was loading @800x600 and the part of the screen covering that area looked fine, everything stretching further stayed fuzzy. After changing the resolution then, i could reboot with no external display attached. At loading, i'd see the 800x600 blurry/fuzzy screen, but once OSX was fully loaded, everything showed up in a good 1024x768. Unfortunately something else messed up the install and after reinstalling, the issue stays the same on that device as well. It isn't mine though, so it doesn't matter much.

i'll try to make a video tomorrow for those who don't understand my problem.

i'll also try to read more on OS86. Now that i know the problem, there might already be a solution out there somewhere (hopefully!).

As promised, here is the video. Sorry for the bad quality and lighting. I can redo it with a different camera, but i think you get the point:

Any help would be appreciated, but as stated before, i'll try to find a solution myself, as i now know what causes this issue.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

This is the other laptop, same brand, same model that i described.

As you can see, i am able to see everything clearly apart from the the right/bottom edge, thus it's easily possible to change the resolution. Unfortunately it's not mine :-(

i have found a solution to my issue now though! i was thinking way too complicated, trying different drivers and modifying files.

All i had to do was to adjust the resolution using hotkeys/keyboard-commands only.

Using the external display, i even only needed to press two keys after going into the display settings and then unplugging the ext.-screen.

Here are the keys i pressed:

Alt + Space (Spotlight search)

"Sys" -> Enter

"Dis" -> DOWN -> Enter

Tab (eventually you'll need another Tab here - not sure, the screen was fuzzy ;-))

"1" -> Tab -> Enter (<- the "1" moves the selection to 1024x768@60Hz, if you have a different resolution, you have to navigate to that one of course).

Alternatively you can also directly go to Displays (type at least "disp") in the spotlight search. Didn't think of that...

Hope i was able to help someone with this!

I'll write a small guide on how i got things up and running. My Ethernet and Wireless are working too now. Last problem is waking up from sleep. Screen goes on, but the LCD-Backlight stays off. Seems to be a common issue with GMA945. As always: any suggestions/ideas are appreciated.

Cheers!

The resolution for single display mode changes and stays during every restart.

• 1 year later...