{Guide} P5N-E 10.6.4 Install Fully Working {Guide}

Help me help you  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Did this guide Help you get SL installed?

• Yes worked perfect
    • Yes it kinda worked
    • No this guide sucked.

31 posts in this topic

I recently wanted to try out Snow Leopard on my computer to see if i could get this working on it. i have searched around and haven't found much of a tutorial for it so I decided to make one myself.

System Set-up:

• Motherboard: P5N-E (latest BIOS)
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 OC'd to 3.2 Ghz
  • Memory: 2.5 GB
  • Video Card: Nvidia Geforce G210
  • HDD: 1X 750 GB SATA, 2X 40 GB IDE
  • Disk Drive: Samsung SATA DVD Burner

Install disk:

iAtkos S3 Snow Leopard 10.6.3 intel (you know where to get it so don't ask)

Bios Settings:

I left stock except for AI Overclocking to 20%

1. Boot to DVD (This will take a while, dont worrie)
  2. Goto the disk utility and format the disk you are gonna use and format it to HFS+
  3. After Formating continue the install steps till you get to the start install page and goto customize
  4. I used the fallowing without problems:
    • Leave Bootloader alone
    • In bootloader options choose 32 Bit and Ethernet
    • Leave everything in patches
    • in driver/main hardware /SATA IDE choose nForce (i chose NTFS-3G to be able to use my thumb drive and what not on both my windows machine and this)
    • No VGA drivers (i got my drivers from www.kexts.com and used kext helper to install them)
    • Under network/wired choose nForce.

[*]Install and wait (i got a sandwich to pass the time)

[*]I did get a Kernel Panic on my first boot, but after i rebooted it booted just fine.

[*]install any Kexts ie. Video, Wireless and what not

[*]install all the updates

[*]Enjoy your fresh new copy of OSX Snow Leopard

I got my Nvidia 210 drivers from

here

100% working install with updates.

• 3 weeks later...
bump

hey man i just folow ur instructions

i put in the bios ai overcloking 20%

i just put the dvd and still loading and appear a white square box over appple pic..

one question i have to put AHCI mode or Ide legacy .. bbecause i dont see this option in my asus

p5n e sli

what i have to do ?

hey man i just folow ur instructions

i put in the bios ai overcloking 20%

i just put the dvd and still loading and appear a white square box over appple pic..

one question i have to put AHCI mode or Ide legacy .. bbecause i dont see this option in my asus

p5n e sli

what i have to do ?

Were you not able to access and/or understand my my blog nForce chipset install guide for iATKOS S3 v2 then?, OR, my nForce chipset MOBO Snow Leopard Install Guide here..............?

Were you not able to access and/or understand my my blog nForce chipset install guide for iATKOS S3 v2 then?, OR, my nForce chipset MOBO Snow Leopard Install Guide here..............?

i put - v cpus=1 maxmem=4094

yeah i just disable 1394 firewire

because have the problem i have "ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to to full-secure

now dont appear any more

only appear still waiting boot device

let me find how to fix with ur tutorial

i put - v cpus=1 maxmem=4094

yeah i just disable 1394 firewire

because have the problem i have "ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to to full-secure

now dont appear any more

only appear still waiting boot device

let me find how to fix with ur tutorial

You should put your system details in your signature because it saves anyone asking questions about your setup........see my signature as an example.

BTW

[1] You should be booting with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 only if you have > 3GB RAM installed.......whereas as if you have < or 2GB RAM just boot with -v cpus=1......

[2] Have you set up your BIOS settings against the recommended settings for OS X on your nForce 650i chipset MOBO? If not, then check in my OS X Leopard on Pre-Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs thread......

You should put your system details in your signature because it saves anyone asking questions about your setup........see my signature as an example.

BTW

[1] You should be booting with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 only if you have > 3GB RAM installed.......whereas as if you have < or 2GB RAM just boot with -v cpus=1......

[2] Have you set up your BIOS settings against the recommended settings for OS X on your nForce 650i chipsetMOBO? If not, then check in my OS X Leopard on Pre-Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs thread......

ok man i just put my signature =)

oh i got the idea if i have 4 gb i have to put -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048

let me try

yes i folow the setting in bios with pdf

ok man i just put my signature =)

oh i got the idea if i have 4 gb i have to put -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048

let me try

yes i folow the setting in bios with pdf

Also important with nForce chipset MOBOs:

With an nForce chipset MOBO, the best combo is a SATA HDD and a PATA (IDE) DVDRW jumper set as Master...........a SATA DVDRW and SATA HDD combo is often a problem, as is a SATA DVDRW and IDE HDD combo...........

With a SATA DVDRW and 3GB RAM, then you should/can useMeDevil's AppleNForceATA_TEST.kext (but if you have >3GB RAM, then you have to use maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist with this kext), whereas, with a PATA DVDRW, you can use slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext (and its later variants, e.g. by AnV etc.) with >3GB installed.......

With a SATA DVDRW and AppleNForceATA.kext and OS X, you may have disk reading problems and will not be able to burn disks.......

I know there is a lot of reading to do but my blog nForce chipset MOBO + Intel CPU install guides for distros (Snow Leopard and Leopard), and my nForce chipset MOBO + Intel CPU Snow Leopard Install Guide here and Leopard nForce Pre-Series 7 thread here do offer much helpful advice........(as does my Leopard nForce Series 7 thread here)....... :unsure:

i haven't had any problems with my rig. i have everything working the only thing i changed was that i got an internal SATA DVD burner and had no problems. OSX detected it and works great. i also reinstalled OSX from it and it worked great. my firewire is working. tested it with an external HDD. updated and everything.

i do get the firewire "ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to to full-secure"

but it hasn't caused any problems for me.

i have more than 2 GB ram and didnt use the "-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048" fix.

like i said everything is stock in the bois except for AI overclocking to 20%

i haven't had any problems with my rig. i have everything working the only thing i changed was that i got an internal SATA DVD burner and had no problems. OSX detected it and works great. i also reinstalled OSX from it and it worked great. my firewire is working. tested it with an external HDD. updated and everything.

i do get the firewire "ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to to full-secure"

but it hasn't caused any problems for me.

i have more than 2 GB ram and didnt use the "-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048" fix.

like i said everything is stock in the bois except for AI overclocking to 20%

You are fortunate to be able to burn discs using your SATA DVDRW under OS X........

it works perfect. tested. burned ilife to a blank DVD

Is your OS X system on a IDE HDD or SATA HDD?

What is the Asus BIOS version number you are using?

Are you using the AppleNForceATA.kext from the iATKOS S3 v2 Install DVD and booting in 32 bit mode?

What brand/model SATA DVDRW are you using?

I ask because I have not had many reports of successful SATA DVDRW read/write functionality on a 650i chipset MOBO under OS X........

I am wondering if it is RAM related as you have 2.5 GB i.e. < 3GB RAM installed?

Also important with nForce chipset MOBOs:

With an nForce chipset MOBO, the best combo is a SATA HDD and a PATA (IDE) DVDRW jumper set as Master...........a SATA DVDRW and SATA HDD combo is often a problem, as is a SATA DVDRW and IDE HDD combo...........

With a SATA DVDRW and 3GB RAM, then you should/can useMeDevil's AppleNForceATA_TEST.kext (but if you have >3GB RAM, then you have to use maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist with this kext), whereas, with a PATA DVDRW, you can use slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext (and its later variants, e.g. by AnV etc.) with >3GB installed.......

With a SATA DVDRW and AppleNForceATA.kext and OS X, you may have disk reading problems and will not be able to burn disks.......

I know there is a lot of reading to do but my blog nForce chipset MOBO + Intel CPU install guides for distros (Snow Leopard and Leopard), and my nForce chipset MOBO + Intel CPU Snow Leopard Install Guide here and Leopard nForce Pre-Series 7 thread here do offer much helpful advice........(as does my Leopard nForce Series 7 thread here)....... :)

i have

SATA DVD ( i cant conect with PATA IDE my mother board dont have it)

SATA HDD

need a special conector or something ?

i see if have 4gb--> use maxmem=3072

let me try

Are you using the AppleNForceATA.kext from the iATKOS S3 v2 Install DVD and booting in 32 bit mode?

I ask because I have not had many reports of successful SATA DVDRW read/write functionality on a 650i chipset MOBO under OS X........

I am wondering if it is RAM related as you have 2.5 GB i.e. < 3GB RAM installed?

i have a Samsung 22X DVD/RW SATA Drive SH-S223C/BEBE

my bios is P5N-E SLI BIOS 1406 with stock settings except AI overclock to 20%

yes im using the one from the iatkos DVD

the thing about my ram is that i built this machine with all the spare ram i had. i had a 1 GB stick and 3 512 sticks. tossed em in and they worked

the thing about my ram is that i built this machine with all the spare ram i had. i had a 1 GB stick and 3 512 sticks. tossed em in and they worked

I have a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B SATA DVDRW on an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus (650i with 6GB RAM with OCd CPU (3GHz) and RAM (800MHz) but have not been able to read/write reliably using the SATA DVDRW with any AppleNForceATA kext........I will try again with the AppleNforceATA kext from the iATKOS DVD and with maxmem=2048........if it still does not work, then it could be that your BIOS is different...........would you be willing to upload your DSDT.aml file for comparison?

However, I think the reason may be the chipset differences:

ASUS P5N-E SLI

Chipset: NVIDIA 650i SPP (C55) + 650i MCP (nF430)

Onboard SATA/RAID: 4 SATA 3Gbps Ports - 650i MCP (RAID 0,1, 0+1, 5, JBOD)

1 e-SATA 3Gbps Port - JMicron JMB361

Onboard IDE: 2 ATA133/100/66 Port (4 drives) - 650i MCP

ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus

Chipset: NVIDIA 650i SPP (C55) + 570 SLI MCP (MCP55P)

Onboard SATA/RAID: 6 SATA 3Gbps Ports - 570 SLI MCP (RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5, JBOD)

Onboard IDE: 1 ATA133/100/66 Port (2 drives) - 570 SLI MCP

help me

still appear " still waiting boot "

Your BIOS settings are not correct!.........

Download my BIOS settings template in Part B. here and use the settings for 650i............

Your BIOS settings are not correct!.........

Download my BIOS settings template in Part B. here and use the settings for 650i............

thanks

i just put the correct settings

still waiting boot device

maybe it happen because i have sata dvd ...and not ide

i just download MAC_OSX_10-6-2_VMWARE_7

and it runs ok :D

I followed your guide and verdant's template for the bios settings and it worked for ALL except the wake up feature. It went to sleep and never wake up. Did you get it fixed somehow? Thank you very much!