Is Sleepenabler actually needed?

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm running a very stable Gigabyte G31M-ESL motherboard system with a quad core CPU. It works very well, no crashes, though once every 3-4 weeks I need to reset the on-board network card. No idea why, but no big deal.

The only thing I have never got working is sleep, tried lots of options and have just given up now. I also note that the major hassle (to date at least) in upgrading is that new versions of the sleepenabler often need to be downloaded and installed.

So can I simply remove the sleepenabler kext and carry on regardless? since I never turn my Mac off and since sleep has never worked, why do I need it?

Thanks,

Rob.

Does this mean I can delete sleepenabler.kext, and NullCpuPowermanagement,kext, rebuild the kext cache, reboot and job done!

I like that idea ;)

Conversely does anyone know of what special trick is needed to get sleep to actually work :wacko:

Rob.

Does this mean I can delete sleepenabler.kext, and NullCpuPowermanagement,kext, rebuild the kext cache, reboot and job done!

I like that idea ;)

Conversely does anyone know of what special trick is needed to get sleep to actually work ;)

Rob.

Basically yes, but without any kind of power management your cpu temps will be a lot higher. Patching your dsdt to use vanilla power management will give best results but VoodooPowermini might also work. I've never tried that one so I am not sure if that one needs Sleepenabler, probably not.

In order to use native power management of OSX, you have to patch your DSDT file as otherwise you may get kernel panic. Even if that may not happen, it is very likely that your cpu will be in a position where it can cook an egg for you.

Basically, you need NullCpuPowermanagement.kext if you don't patch your DSDT file. And again, you need Sleepenabler.kext if you don't use the native power management but NullCpuPowermanagement.kext. If you have "Start up automatically after power failure" option under Energy Saver, that means you have native power management enabled and as a side note, this option has to be checked for sleep function to work.

If you enable the native power management but don't set up the P-States of your CPU but instead use VoodooPowerMini, VoodooPowerMini will not take the full control of your CPU and again, your cpu temps will be higher.

At this point if you are not sure which way to go with, I suggest you use NullCpuPowermanagement.kext+VoodooPowerMini.kext+Sleepenabler.kext combination until you figure it out how to use vanilla kexts.

For sleep, generally speaking, in addition to use of native power management, your usb devices have to be recognised as Built-in but not expansion slots. You need DSDT patches for this as well.

Good Luck,