Booting iAtkos v7 without the DVD

timbojill

4 posts in this topic

I have a leopard Install on my laptop. to boot into leopard I have to use the IAKTOS V7 CD and type in rd=diskxsy. I asked in a thread how to fix this and I was told to come here. I followed the instructions above but all I got for my troubles is a While screen with a bunch of foriegn langauge on it. Is there a simplier way to do what I want.

Is there a simplier way to do what I want.

Yes. Boot from your iATKOS installation DVD, start the installer, click customize and deselect everything except the Chameleon bootloader.

This will install just the bootloader to your harddrive and you should be able to boot.

Second option (this will take longer)

The screen with a lot of text is the "friendly face" of a kernel panic. If you want to see what's really happening, use the -v (verbose) flag when booting. Press F8 after BIOS POST but before OS X starts to boot in order to invoke the boot prompt.

Post a photo of the screen here and someone might be able to help you pinpoint what's wrong by examining it.

have you installed a bootloader, such as Chameleon, after the Leopard installs were done and setup?

download and install Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg.zip (my personal preference for 10.5, there other versions available)

uncheck kexts and for install method, choose normal/default which creates Extra/ and Extra/Extensions folders, boot files like com.apple.boot.plist, patched DSDT and SMBIOS.plist go in Extra/ and any altered kexts should be placed in Extra/Extensions

when you restart after installing chameleon you should see the chameleon prompt which handles boot flags or which partition to boot up