Gateway ID49C

2 posts in this topic

Just looking at the system specs this laptop looks like a pretty close MBP 15" clone, so I was wondering, has it been hackintoshed, if so what were the results? I'm considering picking this up, but I'm having a hard time finding information such as the MoBo, NIC, and sound card. If anyone has one would you care to tell me if it supports any version of OS X? If the fans work and it supports OS X this notebook does boast almost identical features, more USB ports, and a 10% higher 3D Mark score.

Product Page (Future Shop Canada)

A Decent Review

Here's to hoping for the best. =D

• 4 weeks later...

Hey buddy,

I bought this laptop from Future Shop and tried to turn it into a Hackintosh, and I have to say that it was the roughest, toughest, and longest experience I have ever had with installing OS X on an X86 PC (which is sad, because I am very tech-savvy and experienced with OSX86). I have since returned it and am probably going to go buy one of the new 15" MacBook Pros, because they have a higher-resolution screen, better build quality, firmer chiclet keyboard (with backlighting, almost no flex, and no gaps between the keys for food and dust to get trapped in), Turbo Boost technology and Virtualization support, and 6+ hours of battery life with regular use.

Okay, so here is my progress with this laptop thus far, so that maybe it can be of help to the rest of you considering to purchase this laptop for the purpose of turning it into a 14" HackBook Pro:

1. I tried the latest versions of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported (v2.3) and Empire EFI (v1.085 R2) with the 10.6.0 and 10.6.3 retail DVDs and it simply would not boot. The little disc logo in the bootloader would just say "Apple-HFS+" as opposed to "Mac OS X Install DVD" and then it would give an ACPI kernel panic, meaning the CPU is still not supported by the vanilla Darwin 10.4.0 kernel. I know that some users with the Core i3-330m have reported success in installing Mac with the boot discs, but this has not been the case for the i3-350m (at least not from my experiences).

2. I decided to use a better and more simple installation method: the almighty iATKOS S3 DVD. Honestly, I love the creators of this project, as they are simply are the only reason that I am even a part of the OSX86 community. They make the greatest contributions, in my honest opinion. I have used their DVDs since iATKOS v7.0.

Anyway, I successfully booted the DVD with only the "busratio=17" flag, and installed 10.6.3 with all of the default options, plus the modified Qoopz 10.3.0 kernel (under Patches/Modified Kernels heading) and AtherosFix.kext for the wireless card (the non-i7 option under Network/Wireless/Atheros heading) and minus Disabler.kext, all of the boot flags (under Bootloader Options heading), and all of the USB and audio kexts (under Patches heading). Do NOT boot with ANY other configuration or else USB will not work! Since the internal keyboard and trackpad do not work regardless of what configuration you choose during the installation (I tried many without any success), you will need a USB mouse and keyboard to set up your system after the installation has completed (it will still only boot with the "busratio=17" flag). I am sure that there is a fix available for the internal keyboard and trackpad somewhere out there, because they both function fine during the installation.

3. Finally, I booted with a USB keyboard and mouse, installed the 10.6.4 Combo Update, and installed the latest version of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for Unsupported CPU, the SMBIOS fix, and a bunch of other miscellaneous fixes (I cannot remember all of them now, but you can choose anything you want for this step). I then rebooted in verbose mode and it showed everything booting fine, but I was unfortunately confronted with the infamous black/blank screen (which plagues Sony VAIOs with the GT 330M and real MacBook Pros upon updating to 10.6.3 or 10.6.4). I tried booting with a VGA connection and I was able to get at least some picture, but it was extremely distorted with colourful lines all over the screen. However, it was obvious that the system had booted successfully. The internal keyboard and mouse still did not work. I think I only experienced this graphics issue because I did not install the kexts from the MacBook Pro Software Update 1.3 first. It is not that I did not try! I tried mounting and installing MacBookProSoftwareUpdate1.3.dmg first, but it gave me an error stating that it was not designed or intended for this system and therefore could not be installed on it (probably because it did not detect all of the same hardware from the new MacBook Pro 6,1).

Additionally, if that does not work, then you can download and install the latest version of NVEnabler.kext and edit it along with NVDAResMan.kext and NVDANV50Hal.kext in S/L/E with the GT 330M's Dev ID. The instructions for this can be found over at ProjectOSX86.com.

I hope that this post has been helpful for all those aspiring to convert this wonderful laptop into a HackBook Pro. I wish I could afford to keep it as a second laptop, because it was a great Windows laptop with an average of 4.5 hours in battery life with regular use. However, my priority right now is mobility, as I do not wish to plug in my laptop for a whole day (especially when I am on campus taking notes or working on a project or assignment). Build quality is another priority for me, as I abuse my laptops and the Gateway just had too much flex in the keyboard and the lid was simply not sturdy enough. Heck, touching the sides of the screen or even pushing down on the palmrest area of the laptop would make the pixels on the screen distort and disperse, which is simply not comforting to say the least. I still think that for the price which I got it for ($750 CAD), it really cannot be beat. It is simply the best bang for your buck in notebooks this year. Maybe things will change next year, but Acer has historically been the undisputed king of value (it is no surprise that they are the best-selling notebook manufacturer in the world).